cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screen Room / Add A Room Repairs

fornarog
Explorer
Explorer
The screen on my 45 year old add a room (pic in signature) is finally starting to tear in a few spots.

Im looking for some suggestions/resources on how to repair it.

THanks!
Greg

1976 Starcrafte Galaxy 8 Pop-up

1 Amazing Pup
4 REPLIES 4

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
fornarog, What a great popup! We had a 1979 Starmaster 7 that we purchased in 1989 and kept it for 17 years. It had the same great awning with the screen enclosure. First of all, patching screen is not like patching any other cloth. Screening this age doesn't just tear, it deteriorates to the point that you will have to replace it.

We sold it in 2005 after the daughters moved on and we were looking at retirement. In 2016 my youngest asked me to look around and see if anything was on the market, they were just starting to look for a tent trailer. I found one at a reasonable price and went to take a look and low and behold it was our Starcraft. The canvas was in very good shape but the screens were falling apart. Having a very active grandson, I decided to replace the canvas. Bear Creek Awnings were great to work with. I am sure they will be able to steer you in the right directions. Call them and send them pictures. One of the guys there had a similar Starcraft and was familiar with mine. Another option might be to take it to a place that does boat covers. They have the heavy duty machines to sew on new screens. Good Luck.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Patching screen is just like patching any other cloth. I cut patch out of old tent that had lived its life. Often when sewing stuff we want to work in place so we don't distort wife will work from inside, I feed back from outside.
If there is to much of it, I have heard good things about Bear Creek Canvass. Bet they could use the old one for a pattern

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
If the canvas is still good, some cut the screen out and re sew in new screening. Dyi on a good sewing machine or slower with a sewing awl. Yea, its old. But you probably probably can not get a replacement.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
45 year old screen? You got good service out of that one. The screen is proably so delicate thta it can't be repaired. Time to buy new