cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on new TC purchase

Mojave_Red
Explorer
Explorer
I have questions about TC dealers and what I should offer on a new TC. My wife and I are pretty much decided on the 2021 Northern Lite 10-2 Limited Edition with the new dry bath. I’m currently shopping on-line at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH, D&H in NC, Parkview RV in DE, and Mike Jones RV on OH. I’m in N. VA so all these dealers are a bit of a drive. No sales tax in NH or DE, and I’m not subject to sales tax in OH. Not sure about NC. It looks like the listed prices for this model range from about $52,000 to $56,000. I could save if I went with a ’20 model but my wife loves the new dry bath design. I plan to do all my negotiating before driving out to take delivery. Mike Jones has three 2021 10-2 dry baths inbound.

Anyway, what’s a reasonable (how much below asking) n ? Also, does anyone have experience with the dealers above?

Thanks - Brian
1988 10'6" Western Wilderness

1986 Ford F250, 6.9 Diesel w/ Banks Sidewinder Turbo and GearVendor's overdrive
19 REPLIES 19

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I bought from D&H in Apex, NC. I actually bought twice from them. I would at least get ahold of them and let Dave give you a price. They won't charge sales tax if your out of state. They treated me more than fair both times I bought from them. I also got a great discount on the new Host I ordered from them.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Mojave_Red
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Mojave Red wrote:
I have questions about TC dealers and what I should offer on a new TC. My wife and I are pretty much decided on the 2021 Northern Lite 10-2 Limited Edition with the new dry bath. I’m currently shopping on-line at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH, D&H in NC, Parkview RV in DE, and Mike Jones RV on OH. I’m in N. VA so all these dealers are a bit of a drive. No sales tax in NH or DE, and I’m not subject to sales tax in OH. Not sure about NC. It looks like the listed prices for this model range from about $52,000 to $56,000. I could save if I went with a ’20 model but my wife loves the new dry bath design. I plan to do all my negotiating before driving out to take delivery. Mike Jones has three 2021 10-2 dry baths inbound.

Anyway, what’s a reasonable (how much below asking) n ? Also, does anyone have experience with the dealers above?

Thanks - Brian
Last year we discovered it was very difficult to get much more than 5-7% off MSRP on a new NL that wasn't new, old stock (we shopped nationwide). Demand is much higher now, so 5-7% might be very difficult to impossible. Also, freight charges on NL's go up substantially at dealers located east of the MS river (NL factory is located north of WA state in Kelowna BC).

We saved almost $8000 (on sales tax, freight, plus the cost of the camper itself) purchasing our '19 8-11 out-of-state at Apache Campers in Portland OR vs. purchasing in-state. The downsides to this purchase: 1) the 2800 mi. round-trip drive, and 2) it's more difficult to resolve warranty issues that cannot be taken care of DIY with parts alone.

Good luck! 20,000 mi. of cross-country travel with our NL! Still lovin' it!

I think you're spot-on with regards to 5-7% I spoke with Charlie at TCW and he laid out the pricing for me. It looks like they'll offer a small discount. I'm familiar with Apache as I used to live in Pierce County. I actually considered flying to WA, buying my truck and camper, and driving back to VA. Bottom line, this was not a money saving idea. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to our new NL. - B

Mojave_Red
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
Before I signed on the bottom line, I'd ask for a REAL weight on the TC. The dealer gave me a figure that was over 800# off. He took the factory specs and did NOT add the options.A cat reciept would have been great. Any truck would work. Just add or subtract the camper.Saving money would be great, but getting it fixed in warrentee might be difficult unless you take it to the dealer. And you know there will be something.

As I understand it, NL weighs every camper as it comes off the assembly and stamps the actual weight on the builder's plate. It'll be up to me to guesstimate water, gas in stuff. Anyway, I just picked up my new 2020 Ram 3500 dually so I think I'll come in under my max payload.

Thanks for reminding me about warrantee work. That's definately something to factor in. - B

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mojave Red wrote:

Thanks - Brian
Last year we discovered it was very difficult to get much more than 5-7% off MSRP on a new NL that wasn't new, old stock (we shopped nationwide). Demand is much higher now, so 5-7% might be very difficult to impossible. Also, freight charges on NL's go up substantially at dealers located east of the MS river (NL factory is located north of WA state in Kelowna BC).

We saved almost $8000 (on sales tax, freight, plus the cost of the camper itself) purchasing our '19 8-11 out-of-state at Apache Campers in Portland OR vs. purchasing in-state. The downsides to this purchase: 1) the 2800 mi. round-trip drive, and 2) it's more difficult to resolve warranty issues that cannot be taken care of DIY with parts alone.

Good luck! 20,000 mi. of cross-country travel with our NL! Still lovin' it!

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Before I signed on the bottom line, I'd ask for a REAL weight on the TC. The dealer gave me a figure that was over 800# off. He took the factory specs and did NOT add the options.A cat reciept would have been great. Any truck would work. Just add or subtract the camper.Saving money would be great, but getting it fixed in warrentee might be difficult unless you take it to the dealer. And you know there will be something.

Mojave_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'm going to contact TCW in the morning to see what's inbound. While I was hoping everyone received deep dicounts on their TCs, I kinda figured ther wouldn't be much.

akaPedro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Red....we had a 11'6 TC, 20 years ago. Are there just 2? No critters or grandkids or ? If so...think again. If not, do your negotiating via email or fax and get offers signed by sales manager, not salesman. Be sure you have enough truck with proper transmission. Sometimes, if you buy away from your area, and not from the place where you will get service....you could be put off for awhile. You might have to go to the factory for serious repairs. Is that feasible ?

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you purchase from TCW they have several full hookup sites there. They will load you up, go thru EVERYTHING with you and then you can spend a night or two to test everything yourself. This way you know you are 100% when you hit the road.
They can sell you a truck (if needed) or install tie downs, hitches, etc on your truck.
Really is one stop shopping for a TC.

I can confirm the lot was full (more then I have ever seen there) but almost every one had a “sold” sticker on it.
As noted, all of a sudden everyone wants an RV.

Give Bill at TCW a call and see what is up. They are straight up Folks to deal with.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I would not expect much of a discount (a few thousand maybe). NL's are in high demand and low supply. (many are sold before they hit the lot)

Some folks venture from far away to the PNW and Apache Camping centers for the deal that can be had there. You might want to give them a call and see what their pricing is just for a data point.

- Mark0.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You asked about experience with dealers. I am another satisfied customer of Truck Camper Warehouse. I have no idea if it would make sense to drive the long distance to try to save sales tax and to get a deal.

I would not expect to get much of a deal at this time. I understand Covid has made RV sales brisk. A quick look at the TCW webpage confirms that. They have almost no used and very minimal new inventory.

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, a bit of a drive! I live in the Kansas City Area and drove over a 1000 miles out to TCW in NH to purchase a truck camper. Found a used Ascent 85RS they had in stock. No regrets, the guys there were very good to us. If I’m in the market for an upgrade they would be my first call! Consider the drive an adventure. Now as for the northern lites they are very nicely crafted campers, but are one of the most expensive as well. If you don’t mind spending the money get what you want, but do take the time to drive up and TCW and look at all the brands they carry just to make sure you really want to lay down the money.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at TC Warehouse last week to stop by and say hello to Bill and Ryan as we hadn’t seen them in a while.
Coincidence; while we were that we met a young man from Northern VA with a NL that he had purchased from Bill.

I will say this-TCW is the place for TC’s on the East Coast. Bill’s lot was full-however he did say that almost all were sold. So better act now to get one on order!

Bill has always treated us fairly and it is worth a visit to speak with him. If you are ordering from the factory, don’t know what you could expect to pay.

Bill and Ryan are great, they know TC’s. It’s in their blood, they will treat you well and from what we have seen always take care of their Customers.

Have fun,
Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the Mfg. suggested list price, less freight and prep and start negotiating. I would expect a 20%+ discount.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That wasn't my point, Jim. Your state's tax, if any, is you and your state's business. Out the door price for an out of state purchase eliminates surprises.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad