cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling through Camping World

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the midst of finding a new home for our TT and have it listed on Craigslist. We've been contacted by Camping World in Chattanooga offering to consign or possibly buy outright. It's still very early in this process and not considering it right now. I asked the person for details on their fees. He tells me there is no fee, no commission, no charge to us at all. I'm finding it hard to believe they're offering to do this out of the goodness of their heart. I also asked for a guesstimate on what we would net if they sold it and the figure he gave was about $2500 - $3000 below what we think is reasonable. Obviously, we don't expect to sell it for what we'd really like, but we're pretty far off in numbers. Specifically, has anyone sold (or bought) at the Chattanooga location? I asked what the benefit would be using his Chatt location vs the Nashville and he replied that Chatt sells more than twice the number of units as any other CW. True??? Any negotiating on something like this?? While we're not crazy about this blind contact to sell it for us, if they do have a good track record and we can narrow the $ gap a bit, we may consider it down the road.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!
13 REPLIES 13

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
What happens is the unit sits on the lot for a long time? Do you have to take it back?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Since you know a dealer is not doing this out of the goodness of his heart; he is doing it because he thinks he can make money in the deal. Also a dealer is not going to waste his lot space and a salesman’s time and effort for just a few bucks. If he is the high volume dealer,he knows how to price it to sell and make his profit.

Find out what the dealer's best offer is for a flat out purchase of your trailer. If you do not like the deal, you can continue to take the time and effort sell it yourself. The only drawback is, if you do not sell it for the price you want this year, you are stuck with another year’s depreciation.

Be sure to get everything in writing so you know what is what and do not have to depend on memory.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I think if the rig hasn't sold after 7 weeks your price is too high. In my experience, when its priced right you'll get several calls the first week. If after two weeks the interest drops way off, the price is still too high. I drop prices weekly at $50 intervals until the calls start again. Sometimes, braking even is the best you can do.

We've sold two trailers in the past 6 months, both sold the first week, and we got the haggling price we wanted. Both trailers were old ('85 & '98) but everything worked and both were immaculately clean. That was the first comment everybody had when they walked in.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Should be some interest on here at that price.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
$21,000 with $19,000 being more realistic. The CW guy would be happy to take it off our hands for $15,000.....not today! We're including the WDH and anything and everything other than the food and wine to start camping. If he were more around $18,000 we'd likely spend some time pondering, but not at $15,000. Dream on, CW guy. A private party that can use all the extras is a much better choice since CW is likely going to toss that Blue Ox 1000, the 18' patio mat and everything else. If Rocky is still sitting here in 7 weeks we'll give it some thought, but not yet.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting feedback and just some more stuff to ponder. Our house will not be ready until April 15 so we have some time. Rocky is sitting here at home so it's not like we have to hike over to the storage lot and get everything ready. The inside is meticulous....yea, me! All the personal "stuff" is gone other than what we're leaving in the way of linens, kitchenware, etc. Though Rocky was clean when we winterized, he could use a good bath now, but there is not even a slim chance we're paying CW for one of their "Spa" deals. When we sold our HTT we also listed it on CL and after a few crackpots responded - where do these people come from????? - a young couple responded with a mountain of questions and asked for specific pictures. They bought it sight unseen - other than the pix - and we only came down $1000, which was very reasonable. We do have Rocky priced a smidge high, but feel like a truly interested party will at least plan a time to come out and look and then talk price. Granted, having Rocky in his new home would take 1 stressor off our list of many right now, but we have 7 weeks before we need to do or don't. C'mon spring!!!

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
How much are you asking?

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to CW but I sold a boat on consignment through a local boat dealer. Main thing is make sure there's a clear understanding of asking price, what you get, what happens if its sold for more, or less than asking price, that seems to be where most of the issues arise. My boat was at a local dealer that mostly sells used boats (I've heard that if they sell new equipment they'd rather sell the new equipment so the consigned rigs don't move). My boat sold the first day, does that mean it was underpriced ? maybe, but I didn't sit on it for a year, I didn't have to pay to re license it, and I got the money to buy a travel trailer.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
When consigning your RV you need to slightly change the thought process. The question become: How much am I willing to pay to have you sell my RV? Not a bad question, just a realistic question. We sold a previous MH on consignment. First, how much is it worth to you, then how much can you sell it for yourself...really...I mean really. Now how much will you accept to have someone else go through all the hassle (how much will you give up...pay). In my consignment sale we had to pay up front about $750 to have the MH detailed (they did a great job) and advertised. It still took 6 months to sell the rig. If CW says no fees, they probably mean no fees up front, they just subtract it from the sale, and you probably cannot back out of the agreement without a fee (totally unsure of this, just guessing). But if you don't want to sell it yourself, and if they have an active lot, why not.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Caution: Some dealers have been known to take a consignment and price excessively high to provide a favourable comparison to the pricing of their owned units on the lot. No cost to the dealership and perhaps an advantage through the unfavourable price comparison!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much what we were thinking. My cousin and DH sold their TT through PPL in Houston and ultimately ended up with what they felt was a decent $$. He said PPL has a "plan" where they start with a price that is well above reasonable and drop a few times until they get to the right price. He said they told him it would take about 8 weeks, which is just about what theirs ended up. Of course, he had left the WDH and some other things which PPL immediately removed so they could sell the new owner a ton of things.

The CW guy said "if it's clean and doesn't need any work, there would be no charges"....and just who determines if it needs any work? We know this spring the wheel bearings need repacking, but DH can do it for next to nothing vs the CW price. And even being under cover 24/7, it'll need a bath. NOT the CW "Spa" treatment. We can visualize dropping it off in Chatt and then a phone call saying it needs this and that and so on. Don't want to play that game.

Thanks for the info. We have time, but if push comes to shove this could be a Plan B.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if they all work the same way, but a friend tried to sell her tt through cw in New Jersey. They gave her a value (low) and put it on their lot with a much higher price. Anything higher than what the value they gave her goes to cw.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"He tells me there is no fee, no commission, no charge to us at all."

Sure. They'll sell your RV free of charge since you folks look like you're nice people. :R

Generally speaking, when you consign your RV, you will pay a fee to the seller, usually 10-15% of the selling price, or you will agree to take an X amount and the dealer will keep the excess. Don't be surprised if the dealer calls you to beat you down on your end so they can make more money on their end if they get an offer. Good luck!