cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shock recommendations

albow
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Ram 3500 SRW 2WD. I'm looking at replacing my shocks and wondered if y'all had any recommendations from personal or friend's experience. I'm hoping for a better/smoother ride and certainly nothing less so. I actually hardly ever pull our camper anywhere and never load the bed down with weight so I'm actually looking for something that fits an unladen truck better. Give me some ideas with your experiences and of course, the more similar the truck, the better. Oh, I forgot. Also let me know how easy or difficult this might be to tackle myself.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
17 REPLIES 17

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I put Bilstein 4600 shocks on my 2004 RAM. They offer better control than the originals, which in my case, had 62k miles on them. However, the initial compl;iance was stiffer with the bilsteins and offered a harder ride. I am pleased with the shocks as the major use of my truck is a tow rig. If you want comfort I would look at other brands.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
albow wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
All work until the seals give out and the leak.

drsteve wrote:
Bilsteins. Better than stock, reasonably priced.

I agree Bilstein's, I have 5100's on a non lifted truck. To SidecarFlips statment, when I put on the Bil's on my 2001 Ram about 5 years ago at 255K this is what I found that was on the truck. The reason was that I would bounced two to three cycles on a bad transition, they were working just not very well!! Then I found out why!

Not sure of your point here. THey seem intact. Is it because of the made in Brazil engraving?

No not the made in Brazil, the fact they were 12 years old and had 255,000 miles on them and were not too bad empty, but did little loaded.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
albow wrote:
Which Bilstein's? The 5100's that Rhagfo is using?

If your truck is stock height pick the color you like. 4600's stock ride ht blue n yellow, 5100's stock and up to 2" lift silver n black.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

albow
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
albow wrote:
I watched a few videos after I posted this and they all made it look easy, but none of the trucks were above 1/2 ton. I wondered about needing to compress something.

Shocks on a pickup are generally not too difficult. Rusted fasteners will be your biggest obstacle depending on age and the geographic area the vehicle spends most of its time. I would put it just above changing your oil for skill level and tools required.
Thanks.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:
I watched a few videos after I posted this and they all made it look easy, but none of the trucks were above 1/2 ton. I wondered about needing to compress something.

Shocks on a pickup are generally not too difficult. Rusted fasteners will be your biggest obstacle depending on age and the geographic area the vehicle spends most of its time. I would put it just above changing your oil for skill level and tools required.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GeoBoy. I remember seeing something about that now.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
If you are going to do the job yourself, the hardest part is, as needed, to squeeze the new shocks down just a bit to get the mounting bolts to align. I found the perfect inexpensive Harbor Freight tool:

https://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch-bar-clamp-96208.html

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

The Bilsteins come banded so no need for the clamps.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Which Bilstein's? The 5100's that Rhagfo is using?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

drsteve wrote:

I agree Bilstein's, I have 5100's on a non lifted truck. To SidecarFlips statment, when I put on the Bil's on my 2001 Ram about 5 years ago at 255K this is what I found that was on the truck. The reason was that I would bounced two to three cycles on a bad transition, they were working just not very well!! Then I found out why!

Not sure of your point here. THey seem intact. Is it because of the made in Brazil engraving?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
If you are going to do the job yourself, the hardest part is, as needed, to squeeze the new shocks down just a bit to get the mounting bolts to align. I found the perfect inexpensive Harbor Freight tool:

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn
Thanks. I watched a few videos after I posted this and they all made it look easy, but none of the trucks were above 1/2 ton. I wondered about needing to compress something.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Well, yes, but not as well as they did new.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I don't. I run Monroe's and they work fine. Like I said, when they leak, replace them and eventually, they all leak.

Avoiding potholes is good too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

I agree, and I got a good price on the entire set from shockwarehouse.com
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab