cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for New Ford

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I like the business models of the dealerships in Idaho, who will give you a no-haggle price over the internet for new Rams and GMs.
I haven't been able to locate a Ford dealer that operates the same way.
I haven't decided on any particular brand, but I know I'm going to buy a one ton diesel for my impending retirement (YAY!) so we can get a fifth wheel and go camping.
I like having the prices posted so I can better compare models.
I am in Southern Cal, but I am okay with out of state dealers.

Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camper G wrote:
Just my .02 from my recent truck purchase, but Chevy and ford were significantly more money than my dodge that has more options than the ford and Chevy in the same trim level (work truck) . The 17 Super Duty was very nice though. The Chevy was not as heavy duty underneath as ford and dodge, especially the front end components. In the end i liked the Ram the all around best of the 3.

All three make very capable vehicles thats for sure.

To me though Dodge has a lot of "baggage" from being bought and sold many times over the years.. Each time the company has changed hands the parts for the older vehicles get expensive, hard to find and often impossible to find.

The purchasing company is under NO "obligation" what so ever to support vehicles built by the previous owner..

Sure, you can often get a Dodge cheaper than a Chevy or Ford, but down the road you might find yourself with a "orphan" the next time the company changes hands..

Mechanic friend of mine who is a dyed in the wool Dodge fan admitted to me that for his boy they bought a late 1970s F150 as a "project" to rebuild..

The reason.. You can easily find every piece of reproduction sheet metal needed for it at reasonable prices..

Not to mention most if not all interior parts are reproduced at reasonable prices..

Dodge, not so much for old parts..

But like I said, all three have really up are building trucks that can haul and tow very well.. Pick the one that you like..

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the advice.

It's really easy to compare trucks from Dillon and Smith, without even contacting the dealerships.
Ford, not so much. The suggestion for Brien Motors was a good one, but limited inventory. Thanks for the tip, though.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Just my .02 from my recent truck purchase, but Chevy and ford were significantly more money than my dodge that has more options than the ford and Chevy in the same trim level (work truck) . The 17 Super Duty was very nice though. The Chevy was not as heavy duty underneath as ford and dodge, especially the front end components. In the end i liked the Ram the all around best of the 3.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fordlover wrote:
lenr wrote:
I've never used X-Plan, but I've been suspicious that it will lock you from further negotiating. X-Plan is right at invoice. Dealers like it because it reduces their price from Ford. It would be quick and easy negotiation for both purchaser and dealer. However, one "may" be able to negotiate better. I got my 2012 F-350 for $1400 below invoice because a sales manager was very rude and the owner wanted to make sure I left happy. After the $3750 of rebates, I was ecstatic. If past history is any indication Ford will start offering big rebates by May even in this new model year.

Most salesman prefer not to sell on an x-plan price. Why? because the potential for them to make significantly more $$ off the deal. See, when you have X-plan, Ford strictly regulates what fees can be charged by the dealer.

Example I poached from online source-
"We get reimbursed on X plan, any plan deal Ford gives us a commission on it. There's a calculation for it but it's a good profit.

X plan isn't all that bad, especially if you're in a high dealer handling fee state like myself.

Example:

X plan: $17,445

Dealer handling: $100

Total: $17,545

Non x plan: $17,150

Dealer handling: $698.95

Total: $17,848.95

In the end X plan is still cheaper."

Full disclosure: I worked at a Ford dealer for a few years back in the early 2000's.

I HAVE NOT FOUND A DEALER AS OF YET THAT WAS NOT WILLING TO WORK WITH MY X PLAN..

In fact my experience is 180 degrees opposite, they have practically fallen all over the floor trying to get exactly the vehicle configured the way I want it! Not just try to hard sell me what they have in stock.

X plan LIMITS EXCESS DEALER "ADD ON" FEES like documentation fees, handling, dealer prep, Notorization fees and such.. This in its self is a money saver.

Before I had X plan, the dealers snubbed me, mocked me and didn't want to bother with me.. I wanted a certain vehicle configured the way I wanted it with the color I wanted.. They refused to do a dealer inventory search too boot, only wanted to sell what they had on the lot (for a LOT more than what it should have cost).

Dealer HAS options like multi state searches, if they find what you want they have options like dealer trades (IE trade a different vehicle to get the one you want with a remote dealer) or buying outright from a different dealer..

With X plan, they ARE willing to search other dealer inventory, they MUST give me the EXACT invoice price SHEET (the one with A, Z and X plan pricing) that is not optional when they agree to participate in a deal with a X plan member..

To make it clear hwoever, as a X plan member you have RULES that MUST BE FOLLOWED!

#1 AND MOST IMPORTANT, you MUST TELL the SALES PERSON UP FRONT at FIRST CONTACT that you are a X Plan member.. This IS CRITICAL and failure to disclose this up front is grounds of dealer refusal in participation with the X plan with you.

X plan IS "optional" for the dealers, they do not "have" to participate so failing to disclose this information allows the dealer to opt out in your case.

Dealer WILL ask you for PIN NUMBER, you MUST PROVIDE that on demand.

Dealer may ask for additional documentation like if it is employer sponsored a copy of your recent pay stub so READ the X plan rules and be prepared.
THREE out of FIVE NEW Ford vehicles I have bought have been through X plan.. I wish I would have had X plan for the first two, much, much simpler and less hassle.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make your first contact with a dealer via email. Create a file folder with quotes from Cars Direct and other online sources. When you walk into the dealers store have the folder in your hand and tell the people on the floor that you are there to see the internet/fleet sales.

They will send you right back and not even want to give you their sale line, like "how much a month to you want to pay?", as they will know you have done your homework and there is little money for them in a deal with you.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is TrueCar.

I used to be able to get an X-plan number from my employer up until recently. Now they do TrueCar, and I tried it with my current truck. I was pleasantly surprised how things turned out.

The TrueCar price was reasonable, but I was also able to combine it with a $1250.00 incentive from Ford Credit if I financed a minimum amount with them (took the incentive and paid it off after making 4 payments. Also got a $1000.00 discount for being a Vetran. Actually had to send an image of my DD-214 to prove it.

I was happy with the price, and happy with the trade allowance. I doubt I could have done much better with an X-plan number.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
I've never used X-Plan, but I've been suspicious that it will lock you from further negotiating. X-Plan is right at invoice. Dealers like it because it reduces their price from Ford. It would be quick and easy negotiation for both purchaser and dealer. However, one "may" be able to negotiate better. I got my 2012 F-350 for $1400 below invoice because a sales manager was very rude and the owner wanted to make sure I left happy. After the $3750 of rebates, I was ecstatic. If past history is any indication Ford will start offering big rebates by May even in this new model year.

Most salesman prefer not to sell on an x-plan price. Why? because the potential for them to make significantly more $$ off the deal. See, when you have X-plan, Ford strictly regulates what fees can be charged by the dealer.

Example I poached from online source-
"We get reimbursed on X plan, any plan deal Ford gives us a commission on it. There's a calculation for it but it's a good profit.

X plan isn't all that bad, especially if you're in a high dealer handling fee state like myself.

Example:

X plan: $17,445

Dealer handling: $100

Total: $17,545

Non x plan: $17,150

Dealer handling: $698.95

Total: $17,848.95

In the end X plan is still cheaper."

Full disclosure: I worked at a Ford dealer for a few years back in the early 2000's.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer, you explained Ford's X-Plan perfectly.

Over the years, I have purchased several Ford vehicles using the X-Plan offered through my employer and found it to be exactly as you describe. A very thorough explanation I might add. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
lenr wrote:

I have found that X plan will get you within +/- $100 of the DEALERS "Invoice" price.. It takes a lot of haggling and messing around to get to or a few hundred below the DEALERS Invoice price..

Just depends on how much you "value" YOUR TIME whether it is worth spending a few hrs to weeks going back and forth with a dealer.. And YES, I have "been there and done that".

My time is much more valuable than that and I would rather not be bothered by a dealer calling me back for several weeks only to drop the price a hundred each time.

The X plan price DOES NOT INCLUDE any public or private "incentives/rebates or cash back" offers..

BUT YOU CAN USE ANY AND ALL PUBLIC AND PRIVATE AVAILABLE INCENTIVES/REBATES OR CASH BACK OFFERS to reduce the X plan price BELOW the DEALER INVOICE PRICE.

So what that means is if Ford has $1000 cash back public offer and you have a private additional cash back of $750 you can SUBTRACT those offers from the X plan price and get nearly $1750 BELOW the dealer invoice.

As I also mentioned, X plan shielded me from a price increase from the time I ordered to the time my vehicle delivered, saving me an additional $500..

What the X plan does not shield you from is a change in public and private offers.. Those can change up or down from order time to delivery time..

IF you are planning to trade in a vehicle, you do need to be aware, X plan has NO ALLOWANCES for "trades"..

Typically with trade ins, the dealer starts with the MSRP or sticker price which is much higher than the dealer invoice.. Gives them some haggle room, X plan takes that haggle room out..

Since dealer has no room for haggling a trade in, they will offer only WHOLESALE (IE AUCTION) PRICING on the trade in.

With X plan you are better off selling your old vehicle yourself if you want top dollar for it.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on Costco. It's a great program.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway wrote:
If you can afford it, I recommend the 2017 F350 4x4 with the 6.7L diesel and Lariat Ultimate with 5th wheel prep package. I bought my 40ft 5'r two weeks after getting the truck. The truck tows like a dream. Empty, it almost rides like a car and has tons of room inside. The 5'r hitch was a drop-in because of the 5'r package. It keeps track of the miles of the trailer is on and even has a dash towing checklist that is customizable per trailer. The Adaptive cruise control is better then canned beer if you ask me as it really helps on long hauls when following traffic. You can rest your foot instead of hovering over the gas/brake.

As far as power goes, I can pass the chuggers and maintain as steady 60mph going up to Tahoe. And on the flipside of that, the automatic jake-brake coupled with the adaptive cruise coming back keeps the brakes nice and cool.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary ๐Ÿ™‚

That sounds like a very sweet truck! I had to quickly leave the dealership after looking at the identical truck to yours but in black.

But better than canned beer???? I don't know about that! Definitely not better than cold bottled beer!! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Got any friends or relatives that work for Ford ? They can get you X Plan pricing. Fixed. Usually better than any deal you can get from a dealer.

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford it, I recommend the 2017 F350 4x4 with the 6.7L diesel and Lariat Ultimate with 5th wheel prep package. I bought my 40ft 5'r two weeks after getting the truck. The truck tows like a dream. Empty, it almost rides like a car and has tons of room inside. The 5'r hitch was a drop-in because of the 5'r package. It keeps track of the miles of the trailer is on and even has a dash towing checklist that is customizable per trailer. The Adaptive cruise control is better then canned beer if you ask me as it really helps on long hauls when following traffic. You can rest your foot instead of hovering over the gas/brake.

As far as power goes, I can pass the chuggers and maintain as steady 60mph going up to Tahoe. And on the flipside of that, the automatic jake-brake coupled with the adaptive cruise coming back keeps the brakes nice and cool.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger