cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I be using a stand when not in use

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Arctic Fox 1150, when I'm not using it, it's sits on the four powered jacks, about 1 foot off the ground.
It is under a covered carport.
Is it safe to store the unit on it's jack legs for long periods, or should I be using some sort of platform to take the load off the legs?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot wants a 4X4 across the front, right at the skirt, and at the rear.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Happijac wrote:
For added safety and stability, support the camper floor with blocks and use camper jacks to stabilize.
https://www.happijac.com/images/pdfs/4150and45-4600.pdf

I have always followed this advice. I have noticed that dealers never do.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Here's a great idea OP and inexpensive as well as not really being a whole lot of work.
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-mods/contests/off-the-truck-camper-support-system/
Also I'd like to add that I don't think there is a correct or incorrect way of doing this. What ever your comfortable with.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Anybody remember the plywood Xs we used under water beds? Cut 1 sheet of 3/4 into 2 X 4 pieces, then notch in center of each. Another sheet on top, and maybe 3rd on the on the floor, would hold up couple feet above floor. If setting on pavement or even leveled gravel, the sheet on bottom would not need to by as thick, just hold the edge of other sheets out of water.
And for somebody that wanted to unload and use camper in a site, could double the sheet on ground. Could be carried under camper, raise it 3 inches.

3 sheets of 3/4 ply to gain 1-1/2" over the plywood X method? Lol
PS 3/4" x 3 = 2-1/4", not 3"
But on a practical note, when I first bought a TC, I thought that was a nifty idea. (The X, not the extra 130lbs of 2 more sheets of plywood on top of that)
And then I quickly found out that I just cut up a good sheet of plywood and made it useless. As the X ONLY works if the ground it's unloaded on is level, firm and flat.

3 sheets. 1)cut to form X. 2)Laying on top. 3)Lay on floor But the 1 on floor does not need to be thick. Or even used at all. If unloading on ground, or gravel, need to spread the load. In fact, doubled, the camper weight could be supported on pretty soft dirt. (BTW, I think that brings the total sheet count to 4)
Now, if a double stack of pallets, with less surface area, will hold it up, how do you level that? Plank on blocks? I think that would be about 4.5 square feet, instead of 32 square feet.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I have never heard of a jack failing or any major issue....

Then you haven't read this thread.

Not a fair comparison by any stretch. That camper was not designed for corner jacks, they were not properly mounted, the camper was old and the wood not in the best shape, and the ground was uneven and soft.

An AF1150 comes from the factory with four corner jacks, and they don't want warranty claims, so they will make sure the jacks are well mounted.

Now if it lets you sleep better at night, put some support under the camper.

1. OP has a 10 year old camper, don't know what condition the frame is in and if there is rot by the jack mounts.

2. OP doesn't state what condition the ground is in, even though it's parked under cover there may be soft spots due to drainage, etc.

3. OP's camper is WELL outside the warranty period.

We are not talking apples and oranges here, but more like oranges and tangerines...granted the post I cited is not exactly the same circumstances as the OP here, but there are enough similarities to make it relevant.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:

Not a fair comparison by any stretch. That camper was not designed for corner jacks, they were not properly mounted, the camper was old and the wood not in the best shape, and the ground was uneven and soft.

An AF1150 comes from the factory with four corner jacks, and they don't want warranty claims, so they will make sure the jacks are well mounted.

Now if it lets you sleep better at night, put some support under the camper.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Anybody remember the plywood Xs we used under water beds? Cut 1 sheet of 3/4 into 2 X 4 pieces, then notch in center of each. Another sheet on top, and maybe 3rd on the on the floor, would hold up couple feet above floor. If setting on pavement or even leveled gravel, the sheet on bottom would not need to by as thick, just hold the edge of other sheets out of water.
And for somebody that wanted to unload and use camper in a site, could double the sheet on ground. Could be carried under camper, raise it 3 inches.

3 sheets of 3/4 ply to gain 1-1/2" over the plywood X method? Lol
PS 3/4" x 3 = 2-1/4", not 3"
But on a practical note, when I first bought a TC, I thought that was a nifty idea. (The X, not the extra 130lbs of 2 more sheets of plywood on top of that)
And then I quickly found out that I just cut up a good sheet of plywood and made it useless. As the X ONLY works if the ground it's unloaded on is level, firm and flat.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am in favor of additional support when the camper is off the truck for some time. It is not much effort, and it will not hurt.
When the camper is outside, the wind can cause a little sway that may "wear" the jack mounts over time. If the camper has additional support, this can no longer happen.
When the camper is completely sheltered from the elements, it probably doesn't matter much.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:

I read it. It is about a failure to properly rebuild an old camper.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Mine rests on cinder blocks when its not on the truck.
I don't have a good reason why other than I don't like it being stored on the jacks alone.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TC has been unsupported almost all of the time it's off the truck for the past 16 years. However, I did support it on my property while we were having some remodeling done. It was easy enough to do it. I used jacks like these with a board on top. for each end. It did help the stability.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000760FWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I think the more likely problem is the jacks sinking if not on asphalt or concrete. Do make sure you put something under the jacks to increase the surface area of the feet. I usually use 1 ft squares of a stall mat although plywood would work as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
I always stored ours on a pair of 2x8 planks on top of cement blocks, so it sat like it did in the truck. Yes, the jacks are designed to support the camper, and we camped in it several times off the truck with it sitting on the jacks.

However, if you look at the length of the jacks they apply a LOT of leverage to the mounting points, and every time you wiggle something it works to make it looser. I depend on my jacks when I need them, why stress them when I don't?

There is certianly nothing wrong with how you are storing the camper, but in my mind putting on solid footing is better.

I agree and All great points! We have camped off the truck at least 300 times and we have never had a single issue. Of course a few years we had the stable-lift and that was even nicer. I do agree with your points though.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“ Our 2013 AF811 has spent all its 5-6 month winters on it’s jacks. On asphalt. No issues, and no other supports.”

Sorry for being overly cautious with a high dollar purchase, Slymer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad