cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Significant hiatus but I'm back!

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I can't believe I'm back! This forum has been an incredible resource for me over the years, dating back to 2005 when my wife and I bought our first RV! Since then we've moved from a TT to a toy hauler, back to a TT that we just sold (hopefully) this weekend. I would have sworn we were out of the game last year with most of our extra time being spent on our acreage; we really started to enjoy it last year and got to thinking, why drag a trailer around when we have a campground in our back yard?

Well, the bug hit us hard again this year. In the matter of 3 days the F-150 is being enjoyed by a new owner, we have someone coming this weekend to hopefully take our existing 28 ft TT, and all going well the new F-250 is picked up Saturday just in time to take a trip a couple of provinces over to pick up our new unit!

So, all of the research that comes with these big purchases is complete. Or at least I thought it was. I completely forgot about the hitch setup. I've done a little searching and I know that there are most likely, numerous threads on the very topic but selfishly, I wanted the excuse to re-introduce myself ๐Ÿ™‚

So, any advice or direction you can provide on a distribution/sway setup would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 2020 F-250 and the trailer is the Grand Design Imagine 2970RL TT. Before you say it, I know that Henley is the hitch of hitches but I'm not ready to dump that kind of money, yet. That will buy me a lot of solar energy!

Thanks in advance!
03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch
10 REPLIES 10

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
I am now in my 52 nd year of pulling trailers from 14 feet to 37 feet. We bought the Reese Dual cam when we got our present trailer in 2014. It is by far the best hitch I have used over the years. Absolutely no sway even in extreme wind or maneuvers when some idiot pulls out in front of you on the highway and your going 65 mph.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
A little lube on the points listed in the Equal-i-zer manual with the use of the bracket pads and the noise is pretty well gone.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
gouldc wrote:
Appreciate the feedback. Iโ€™ve heard great things about the Equalizer but have also read that its pretty loud. Iโ€™ll look into the Blue Ox, any quieter?
I have heard NOTHING about noise when using the Blue Ox.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Equal-I-zer hitch in 2007. We sold our trailer last weekend. I didn't let my hitch be part of the sale.A little time and swear in the Alabama sun and it will be reset for our next trailer.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the feedback. Iโ€™ve heard great things about the Equalizer but have also read that its pretty loud. Iโ€™ll look into the Blue Ox, any quieter?
03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using my Equal-I-zer for 16 years and it's been perfect, aside from the groaning and popping.

I'm seriously looking into the Blue Ox Sway Pro for my next one. It looks like it checks all the boxes.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've personally been using a Reese DC for many years.
I can't let it go and have mounted it over on 3 different trailers. Lol

Just don't skimp and get a good one like the ones mentioned.

Also think you did well on truck, trailer combo.
Still waiting on our F250 to arrive.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
gouldc wrote:
Hey everyone, I can't believe I'm back! This forum has been an incredible resource for me over the years, dating back to 2005 when my wife and I bought our first RV! Since then we've moved from a TT to a toy hauler, back to a TT that we just sold (hopefully) this weekend. I would have sworn we were out of the game last year with most of our extra time being spent on our acreage; we really started to enjoy it last year and got to thinking, why drag a trailer around when we have a campground in our back yard?

Well, the bug hit us hard again this year. In the matter of 3 days the F-150 is being enjoyed by a new owner, we have someone coming this weekend to hopefully take our existing 28 ft TT, and all going well the new F-250 is picked up Saturday just in time to take a trip a couple of provinces over to pick up our new unit!

So, all of the research that comes with these big purchases is complete. Or at least I thought it was. I completely forgot about the hitch setup. I've done a little searching and I know that there are most likely, numerous threads on the very topic but selfishly, I wanted the excuse to re-introduce myself ๐Ÿ™‚

So, any advice or direction you can provide on a distribution/sway setup would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 2020 F-250 and the trailer is the Grand Design Imagine 2970RL TT. Before you say it, I know that Henley is the hitch of hitches but I'm not ready to dump that kind of money, yet. That will buy me a lot of solar energy!

Thanks in advance!

I really liked the "Dual Cam Reese distribution hitch. Gives great sway control , minimizes trailer sway and easy to hook up.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Equalizer
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curt Tru-Track or Equalizer...and be done with it.