cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

single axel or double

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at 18ft trailers. I can get a single axel or a double axel, Micro Minnie by Winnebago. I like the idea of a double axel, but my friend said they are harder to back up. I love the suggestions I get here so what is your opinion. Thanks in advance.
30 REPLIES 30

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
A dual axle will handle bumps better (i.e. easier on the trailer itself and its contents). When only one axle climbs over something like a speed bump, the trailer frame only raises half the distance since the equalizer shares the load between axles. On a single axle it raise the same as the tire.

This does not affect โ€œhandlingโ€ in the sense of towing.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
15s are even better, Lynnmor.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The notion that dual axles are somehow more stable or easier to handle than single is not only a matter of opinion, there is nothing documented to support that. I've had single axle trailers, one hybrid trailer of which was towed on several cross country trips. There was no difference between the stability and handling compared to a dual axle trailer.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
When backing, length plays a bigger part than the number of axles. Short trailers react quicker to steering corrections and thus are harder to back.

^^^^^^ What he said. My popup and my TT handle way different when backing, and it has nothing to do with the number of axles.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
When backing, length plays a bigger part than the number of axles. Short trailers react quicker to steering corrections and thus are harder to back.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell the difference backing. Personally I prefer the single axle but that is my opinion. I presently have a single axle and it handles just fine, However I agree, do not let that be the deciding factor, you need to find one that has /does what you want it to do as far as livability,. Good luck in the search.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend has it backwards a dual axle is easier to back then a single. I would get the floor plan you like regardless how many axles. The single axle I looked at had 15" tires and the dual had two 13" tires.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure that the trailer has at least 14" wheels. Some of the Micros had two axles with 13" wheels and only cheap Chinese tires are available for those.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your buddy has it backwards. Dual axles back easier...though the difference isn't enough to worry about.

I would let the number of axles be a factor. Get the trailer that has a better layout for your use. Only reason I might consider it is if you think the cargo carrying capacity is too low with the single axle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you for confirming what I was thinking. Duel is the only way to go. Now to get some reviews on the Micro Minnie by Winnebago and I am ready to hit the road again.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Dual axle is more stable and has better road and highway manners.

Yes the tires scrub when turning tight but is nothing your truck can't handle.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder where he got the idea about being hard to back up a double. go double hands down. if you have ever had a flat with a double you would know what we mean by going double. a flat or blowout with a single you would have more damage to the under carriage then the TT is worth. true doubles blow out can cause damage but the benefits are so much greater don't count having to buy four tires instead of two every 5 to 7 years. think safety and benefits on having a double

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double...more stable.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO single axle trailers are harder to handle. Dual axle trailers will double the suspension maintenance required, but when a flat happens at least you will have another tire to carry the load until you can get stopped.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nothing hard about backing up a double.
I would not make the number of axles a determining factor with a trailer that size.