cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out to non slide

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gone from a slide out TC to non slide and if so what are your thoughts and any regrets?
I just sold a nice Arctic Fox 990 with full wall slide and generator. I was impressed with the quality and comfort but I tend to travel more and only spend a short time in a location.
The slide gives a lot of room when parked but as quick as it is to open the slide out at rest stops and pulling into a spot to spend the night when traveling, it was more of a hassle then just opening the door and climbing in. Also, have to consider being level and possibly opening the slide into an obstruction.
Iโ€™m also thinking a better battery/solar system over the generator is a better option. I have a Honda 2000 if needed.
I love the convenience of a TC and the fact I have a 4x4 Diesel truck to drive makes it so versatile.
Iโ€™m now looking at an Arctic Fox 865 which is similar to the 990 minus the slide and generator. It will probably be about 500 lb less, 7โ€ shorter and a better C/G. It still has the quality and amenities of the 990 with a little less space when the slide is out, less tank capacity and no gen.
I also like the cabinet storage above the dinette with the non slide.
There is also the consideration about structural integrity and moving parts on the slide, less space to heat/cool and dust/water intrusion.
What are your thoughts and experiences?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
19 REPLIES 19

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
12 years, same camper no slide. I use the Lance 1055 over 100 nights a year. I have never felt cramped or felt the need to get a unit with a slide. Nothing to break and full use of the camper at all times works for me.

So the camper you had before this one had a slide?

nope, used my friends that did. didn't see the need for a slide. We are two adults and 4 dogs. The 1055 fits our KISS principle. If it doesn't move it is less likely to fail. Plus I like being able to just pop into use the bathroom or get to the fridge by just opening the back door while on the road or if I see a spot to fish get to my gear.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Where are you "constantly" going that you get in each other's way?

I've heard a lot of people say they want room to pass easily. His comment was not at all unusual.

What's next ... they shouldn't buy a TC because it doesn't fit your definition of how they should be used?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
I have an AF1150 with a full wall slide. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each otherโ€™s way.

This is exactly what we run into with ours...whenever we need to pass by, someone needs to move into the dinette area a little. And it is not that we are huge people. If camping alone it would not be a problem.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
brholt wrote:

I really like the 865 especially for a single person. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each otherโ€™s way.

Where are you "constantly" going that you get in each other's way? Rarely is one of us standing in the aisle unless we are cooking. We can both work on cooking side by side, but typically we take turns cooking. It is a little tight but we can easily get by each other when needed.

We spend most days out hiking, exploring and photographing. By the end of the day there is not much standing going on, just a lot of sitting.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an AF1150 with a full wall slide. Brother has an AF865 without a slide. I really like the 865 especially for a single person. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each otherโ€™s way.

One other note about the 865. For cold weather camping there is no heat vent in the bed area and as a mid bath design the heat is slow to get to the bedroom because of the narrow passageway.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
12 years, same camper no slide. I use the Lance 1055 over 100 nights a year. I have never felt cramped or felt the need to get a unit with a slide. Nothing to break and full use of the camper at all times works for me.

So the camper you had before this one had a slide?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, the OP knows the differences.

To me, it seems like he wants to know if anyone has gone from a slide to a non-slide, and didn't instantly go foaming-at-the-mouth insane, tear off their pants, and run screaming through the campground naked from the waist down because they could not function without the extra space.

Really it all depends on the type of person you are. Do you accept and adapt to what you do have, or do you lament and bemoan what you don't have?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like OP knows the differences. I've had the same TC for 16 years. If I ever get a different one, it might be a nonskid. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. As long as the layout works for you, that's all that matters.

I camped last year with 6 of us although three were grandkids. I have a bunk over dinette. It worked ok for us for two nights. I don't think we would have had enough floor space without the double slide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
Three of five RV's I have owned have had slides. We prefer the additional room a slide gives us since we live in a rainy area that can trap you under the awning or inside.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
We have an AF 865 short bed. We came from a Lance 855s with the full cabinetry in the cab over. Why Lance stopped that, Iโ€™ll never understand. Went with the AF for better insulation and larger tanks. Miss the slide, nah. The slide does give you more floor space. The 865 has been good for us.

Jeff D
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Just throwing this out there, with a model like the Lance 1191 single slide the camper is fully usable with the slide in, most of the time I won't even put it out unless I am staying for a while.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, youโ€™ve sold a โ€œniceโ€ camper with a slide, in a market where a new one is certain to not be a financial bargain, so presumably youโ€™re set on the no - slide thing already.
I guess I donโ€™t see what the question is.
Itโ€™s literally more space inside vs one less potential mechanical item that may need repair at some random time in the future.
And presumably you can imagine what the smaller space is like. If not, I would have suggested camping with the slide in prior to selling the old camper.
If you are just wanting the moral support that itโ€™s ok to spend more money to effectively downsize in 2 directions, you have my vote. Itโ€™s ok!

Congrats on your future new camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Lance had a dinette slide and really not sure it added much. I would have rather had the extra cabinets above the dinette, that would have added more utility to the camper than the extra floor space with the slide open.

That said, we sold the TC and now have a 33' 5er with 3, yes count 'em 3 slides. DW was scare to death to sleep anywhere but a CG, so we didn't much utility out of the portability of a TC.

If I did a TC again I wouldn't bother with a slide.