cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide stops and then starts up again

38-72
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve got a 2003 Artic Fox 5th wheel with a slide problem.

The slide goes out just fine. But, when retracting, it will come in about 8 inches or so and then stop.

If I let up on the switch for about 3 to 5 seconds, the slide comes in all the way without any problem.

I disconnected the motor from the slide gear rod and motor works fine under no load. I put a wrench to the slide without the motor attached and it comes in OK. I greased everything I could lube, but that didn’t change anything.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is causing the slide to stop and then go after I jog the switch? Could the motor be starting to go out?
Thanks! Happy camping.
5 REPLIES 5

38-72
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
My NASH 29V (built by the same people who built your Artic Fox) did the same thing with the big kitchen/ sofa slide. The cause was the rubber wipers on the outside. As they aged, they became stiffer causing more drag, thus more strain on the slide motor. It drew more amps causing the automatic circuit breaker to trip. I used 303 rubber protectant on the wipers and silicone on the side wall of the slide out.

Thanks for great info. I lubed up the rubber wipers etc as you did and it worked. The slide comes in without any problems. Thanks again!!

38-72
Thanks! Happy camping.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
sclark wrote:
You may have a weak self resetting breaker. I would locate and replace it. Good luck.

Mine did that. It was circuit breaker right next to battery on frame connected with short battery wire to battery.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
You may have a weak self resetting breaker. I would locate and replace it. Good luck.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
My NASH 29V (built by the same people who built your Artic Fox) did the same thing with the big kitchen/ sofa slide. The cause was the rubber wipers on the outside. As they aged, they became stiffer causing more drag, thus more strain on the slide motor. It drew more amps causing the automatic circuit breaker to trip. I used 303 rubber protectant on the wipers and silicone on the side wall of the slide out.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

They draw lots of amps. Try running the engine while sliding in.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.