cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideouts: Benefits and drawbacks

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
For those considering a camper with a slide out, or without, I will offer my 3 cents worth:

Benefits:
More space!
I love the expanded floor space I get in my AF811 with the slide out.
I can imagine that with 2 people, the extra space would even be more advantageous, because you can walk past each other without going sideways.

When I was camper shopping in mid to late 2009, I also considered the AF865, but went with the 811 because it was shorter, and it would also more easily accommodate installing a power inverter.

Shorter camper, with less weight was a huge consideration for me at the time due to payload capacity of my truck, as well as the fact that I always have a trailer with me when the camper is on the truck.

Knowing what I know now, after having lived with a slide out for 3.5 camping seasons, would I buy a camper with a slide out again? Probably so, because I love the extra floor space.

Drawbacks (or minor annoyances):

1. The back portion of the camper is very cramped with the slide out retracted. The camper really isn't intended to be used with the slide in, though I have gotten in and out of it with the slide in.

Loading groceries enroute is a PITA with the slide in.
Getting in the bathroom is also a challenge, unless you are good at doing a side-step dance maneuver while shimmying through the narrow space between the wall where the sliding bathroom door is and the dinette.

2. Without a slide topper awning, you will likely get water in the camper when you retract the slide if the slide roof is wet. The water won't all get squeegeed off the roof by the rubber flapper seals when you pull in the slide. What water remains up there will run off the roof, and into the camper interior once you start moving down the road.

The first time I encountered the above was when I was returning from the Overland Expo two years ago. The weather got cold coming through California, and I hit snow near Mt Shasta. I stopped for the night, and put out the slide, never giving a thought to the snow accumulating on the slide roof. (DUH!! What the heck was a thinking?!? ) The furnace ran a lot that night. In the morning, I had to climb up on the roof and clear the snow off the slide roof. NOT FUN! Once the slide was in I had to clean the residual snow/water off the slide roof with some towels.

Later down the road, I realized I should have left the slide in. It would have prevented the snow/water problem, and probably would have provided better warmth too, with less air space to heat.

Last night I stopped for the night, and shortly after parking, it started to rain, so I immediately retracted the slide after I remembered the problem above.

Neither of the above are meant to sound like a person shouldn't / can't extend the slide during inclement weather. The instances I encountered as described above were minor concerns / issues for me because I was just stopping for the night, with the intent to hit the road as soon as I woke up.

So, what is everyone elses list of benefits and drawbacks of a slideout?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
100 REPLIES 100

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the brand, because there are different slideout mechanisms, some which can handle weight when in, others will bend on their tracks because of how they move out, then down slightly to have as flush a floor as possible.

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
The "U" shaped dinettes pretty much forced one to sit at the rear, while the slideout in the Lance 855S and the AF 811 allowed one to just slide in and sit.

Do you/can you sit with the slide in? I know in the TT you were not suppose; we found out the hard way and had to have it repaired.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlts22 wrote:
One mod I've considered on a rig with slides is to put a DPDT or DPST key switch in series with the slide rocker switch or switches. That way, if I am putting the rig in storage or leaving the slides out (where it is at a campsite), one quick key turn and the slides stay put. This keeps friends who are not familar with the TC from accidentally retracting the slides, and in storage, it keeps the slides from being extended without needing to pull the battery.

Our Eagle Cap has such a switch mounted up high in a separate place for just that purpose.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, the TS116RB can even come with a wardrobe slide, so one has four slide-outs on that rig. It definitely is in dually territory at 4700 pounds dry.

I saw one of those at Princess Craft it had a lot of usable space inside. Plus, when it is being stored, the fact that the couch slide blocks entry might be a good thing. Pull the battery, and the local tweakers are not getting in. Same with the shortbed Host RV Aspen TC with three slides, because the fridge slide will ensure nothing is getting in the door other than bugs and air. A determined thief can problably find a way extend the slides (or just break in the overhead bed via the emergency window), but the casual guy looking for a quick grab would be effectively deterred.

One mod I've considered on a rig with slides is to put a DPDT or DPST key switch in series with the slide rocker switch or switches. That way, if I am putting the rig in storage or leaving the slides out (where it is at a campsite), one quick key turn and the slides stay put. This keeps friends who are not familar with the TC from accidentally retracting the slides, and in storage, it keeps the slides from being extended without needing to pull the battery.

Count me firmly in the "needs a slide" camp. The dinette slide is the most critical as that adds the most usable inside space.

cigar_100
Explorer
Explorer
after camping in non slide tc for 12 years, i finally broke down and purchased a triple slide chalet. its enormous inside, easy to access the bed area, we could not imagine going back. the camper is not accessible when closed up, but it takes a whole 5 min. to solve that problem. happy as a clam in my triple.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO, a slide topper is a mandatory item.

I wish Solera/Lippert still made their slide sleeves/boots. Those appeared to go a long way to reduce the chances of water intrusion because there was always a material barrier at all times.

As for a slide, to me, it made a big difference. The "U" shaped dinettes pretty much forced one to sit at the rear, while the slideout in the Lance 855S and the AF 811 allowed one to just slide in and sit.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Butch50 wrote:
brholt wrote:

Your experience with water coming into the camper from the slide is interesting. So far on our AF we have left the slide out in varying anounts of wind and rain and I have noticed anything. Any further details?

I believe he is talking about when he brings the slide in after it has been raining and the wiper on the top of the slide doesn't wipe off the top completely. ....

Yes, that is correct.

If the slideout roof is when when it's time to retract it, the slide seal along the top doesn't totally clear off the water, so the slide roof remains wet when I retract it, then water will run off it inside the camper.

I have small arms, so I can squeeze them in the gap between the camper ceiling and the slide roof and wipe it down with a towel, but it isn't easy.

I really should install a slide topper awning, it would mostly eliminate the water problem and avoid the need to climb on the roof during the summer to sweep off the pine needls/leaves when I camp in the woods.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
dpgerson wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned, but I just quickly browsed the 8 pages. Here is a big drawback if you have a big camper that hangs of off the end of the bed. Most of them are not built strong enough. So over time the camper begins to sag and crack. So much so that eventually the slide will not retract unless you raise the rear end up with the jacks.

This has happened to me and another Alpenlite Santa Fe owner with the same year and model. And this is just not mu opinion. I've heard the same thing from 2 different RV repair places.

Has anyone else with a big camper with a slide that hangs off of the end of the bed several feet had this problem?

I have not had that problem
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
JumboJet wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
That is a cool looking TC. I always heard that duallys can't go on the beach.

I don't think that was a drw.

I put my glasses on and your are correct. That is one big camper for an SRW - not that there is anything wrong with that!

Ok. Here is one for you ๐Ÿ™‚

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see this mentioned, but I just quickly browsed the 8 pages. Here is a big drawback if you have a big camper that hangs of off the end of the bed. Most of them are not built strong enough. So over time the camper begins to sag and crack. So much so that eventually the slide will not retract unless you raise the rear end up with the jacks.

This has happened to me and another Alpenlite Santa Fe owner with the same year and model. And this is just not mu opinion. I've heard the same thing from 2 different RV repair places.

Has anyone else with a big camper with a slide that hangs off of the end of the bed several feet had this problem?
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
That is a cool looking TC. I always heard that duallys can't go on the beach.

I don't think that was a drw.

I put my glasses on and your are correct. That is one big camper for an SRW - not that there is anything wrong with that!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
brholt wrote:

Your experience with water coming into the camper from the slide is interesting. So far on our AF we have left the slide out in varying anounts of wind and rain and I have noticed anything. Any further details?

I believe he is talking about when he brings the slide in after it has been raining and the wiper on the top of the slide doesn't wipe off the top completely. Not when he is parked in the rain with the slide in the out position. That is the reason he is talking about getting a slide topper.

Due to my living in remote (sort of) Alaska, this is one of my reasons for not looking at slides. We own a 30'TT in WA that has a 14' slide. We had similar problems occasionally, and Kodiak is wetter than western WA...
Plus, Avions never had slides, so we love our Avion! Even if it gets a bit tight for the 6 of us!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Words of wisdom: never mess with mother nature or the IRS!

We have a single slide on a 855S. Access is possible with the slide in, but sometimes we extend it a few inches when making a quick potty break (if a person can dial a phone number on a cell phone, they can surely push a button for the slide!)

All I know is, for a family of four, the slide is a HUGE benefit that far outweighs any of the costs. And, we are loving the upgrade from our non-slide 820.

That said, whether it's a tent, or a 40ft diesel pusher - whatever gives you the ability to go do the things you love to do, that's what it's all about. Go have fun!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Poor Red's is for sale. The IRS moved in and in process of throwing the owners in prison for tax evasion. Here is your OPPORTUNITY!!

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Poor Red's. Home of the "Gold Cadillac".....
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer