cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slides and More Slides

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance everyone! My goal in purchasing a truck camper, beyond quality and price, is to get the largest interior possible relative to the smallest exterior. In other words, the largest number of slides (three), that have the longest width, and extend out the greatest distance.

Therefore, on new, I am limited to either Eagle Cap and Host, both of which appear to be reasonable quality with Host being higher in price. I am going to the show in Tampa next month to sort this out.

I like both brands, but particularly like the layout of the EC 1165, However, from exterior pictures the 1165 looks much larger than the Mammoth/Everest, and it is in fact 20'10"x 8'6" where the Mammoth/Everest is 19'3" x 8'0". For those that have been in both, does the interior of the 1165 appear to be that much larger, or does Host make up for it in the slides. I was unable to find specific information on the length and width of slides.
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab
20 REPLIES 20

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredBeanCounter wrote:
In my search for a camper, it seems a huge benefit of these large dance floors that the slide outs create is the ability to add movable furniture. For example the Rainer above in Bedlam's email has a perfect spot to add a chair in front of the large window in the corner. In the EC 1065, bar stools can be put at the island. In the Mammoth, a chair can be put in front of the large window to create banquet seating at the sofa table. Then when traveling this stuff can be stored in the cab over.

The big advantage we have found is simply the ability for 2 people being able to move around. In the mammoth for example one person can be cooking and the other can get to the bathroom or bedroom easily. A lot less bumping into each other or asking to get by. Then add (2) 60 pound dogs...
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
In my search for a camper, it seems a huge benefit of these large dance floors that the slide outs create is the ability to add movable furniture. For example the Rainer above in Bedlam's email has a perfect spot to add a chair in front of the large window in the corner. In the EC 1065, bar stools can be put at the island. In the Mammoth, a chair can be put in front of the large window to create banquet seating at the sofa table. Then when traveling this stuff can be stored in the cab over.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
This might work Bedlam. The truck is 20'8" which is a little longer than the F450 19'4" regular cab, but it would still fit tightly in a regular parking spot.

Bedlam
RetiredBeanCounter wrote:
I can see not using them in the Class B's and C's because they may interfere with walking back while traveling, but I would think that TCs and all pull campers would be getting smaller with more slides. Why are my options for three slides only on the biggest of the big TCs?

You could put this one on a Ram 3500 DRW with Mega Cab and short bed:

https://www.hostcampers.com/product-details-rainiersb.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our 2nd AMLRV and both have been absolutely trouble free. Love our EC. Smaller than the 1165 you are looking at, but the quality is top shelf.
Hope this helps.
B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young, I lived in a Bronco with a pop-top bolted to the back. Growing up in California where rent was high and weather was warm, I could not understand why everyone wasn't doing this. I could drive up a mountain where those VW buses could not reach me and have the views and the place all to myself.

Then once the family came along, my RVs became Westfalias and then Eurovans. But these stopped being made in 2003, and I just got rid of my last one about two years ago.

Now that I am retiring and looking to get into a real RV, I am completely amazed at slides. Of course I have seen them popped out at campground, but never realized the impact they have on the interior. But now understanding this, I can't help but wonder why they haven't evolved onto the smaller vehicles.

I can see not using them in the Class B's and C's because they may interfere with walking back while traveling, but I would think that TCs and all pull campers would be getting smaller with more slides. Why are my options for three slides only on the biggest of the big TCs?

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going to buy a giant, and we still might, it would be the Host. We like the floorplan better with access to the bed on either side. That way know one (me) has to crawl over the other to get out of bed. The Chalet was on the short list also till they stopped building them.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I think EC did have problems with their slide outs using Schwintek but they have recently moved over too Happy Jack dual ram slide-out mechanism. Hopefully it was a fix. I like the heavy insulation in the EC

Bedlam
jplante4 wrote:
This is pretty big.

Chalet currently is not building any truck campers. They were the only ones to offer a fourth side in the cab over for your wardrobe closet.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We looked carefully at both. Touring the Host factory was big in our decision. I also had some reservations about the slide mechanism EC uses. We had had ours over a year now with close to 300 nights in it. Very happy with our choice. Host is also much more open to custom changes. Many are not listed on their website.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Bedlam
The 1165 is physically larger than the Mammoth when closed up, but the Mammoth feels bigger inside due to the open “dance floor” in front of the fireplace. I suggest you also look at the Adventurer 116ds, Eagle Cap 1160 and Host Everest to give you chance to see some other layouts. If you are looking for customization in your build, Host is the most flexible to make changes and also has additional options and configurations that do not show in brochures or on the website.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
When we were at D&L in NC, I looked at both, side by side. I thought that the EC 1165 made better use of the space, and it seemed more spacious. Plus I liked the bathroom, and the whole floor plan much better. So I ended up buying an 1165. Regarding quality, it seemed that EC uses very high quality materials, but Host has an edge on fit and workmanship.
But it is definitely a matter of personal preference. You do need to see for yourself.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
I appears from the photos and layouts that Host uses every inch of wall possible to increase the slide length, where the 1165 gave up some of the wall on the passenger side, and in addition the 1165 has a larger door which took away some slide wall. So this may have answered my question. Host would have a larger interior relative to the exterior, unless the slides on the 1065 extend out out further.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
This is pretty big.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox