cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small town parking. Suggestions /tips

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the new England area and driving around we want to hit some small towns in route. Any suggestions/tips for parking with the rv in these areas? We currently have a 33ft travel trailer.
11 REPLIES 11

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps street view can be your best friend. We try to plan out ahead of time when we want to visit more populated areas.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
One campground owner who posts on this forum argued with me when I had mentioned in a post that in many cities and towns you can overnight in school parking lots during the summer when school is out for the summer. The largest high school of the 3 here parking lot has just over 1800 car/vehicle parking spaces and around 500 are kept open for summer school students and adult classes etc. It's very commonly done in the region where we live.

Just had the huge national U.S. Coast Guard Festival which has 350,000 to 500,000 attendance yearly in our city of around 11,000 and the local metro area of approx 70,000. Lots of RV's staying in school parking lots (hundreds) all over town for a week or more. Totally legal!

A drop in the bucket compared to the huge number staying in church parking lots or city parking lots around the edges/rows leaving the centers of the lots for vehicle parking and business customers. This has been going on for as long as I can remember and I'm nearly 77 years old. There is no charge for parking and staying there either. Hurt the local campgrounds bottom line? Not a chance as all 12 are booked full always.

Can't have fires of course or fasten anything to the ground or dump anything on the ground and the city puts some dumpsters for refuse. An RV must have it's own contained toilet facilities to park there and it's required.

The city has an ordinance code prohibiting RV's overnighting in store parking lots such as Walmart, Meijer, Home Depot, etc as they are a business owned parking lots and not controlled directly by the city. No overnight truck parking allowed either.

It works out great for all and has for decades now. Yes, the local police, county sheriffs, and the state police do cruise thru these lots am couple times each day looking for violators.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
out west, most small towns have city parks and many of them are on the highway that passes through the town..or there will be a road sign pointing to the park.
you just have to be sure the trees are pruned high enough for your rig to park under ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have used hardware stores, churches, school parking lots (if not during school times) and sometimes, even municipal lots if they aren't busy.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Once or twice we have used the city park. They had a half dozen electric spots and rest rooms next to the ball diamonds and soccer fields.

They showed up on the Good Sam's Camping list.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Y-Guy
Trackrig wrote:
look on the web to see if they have a Fair Grounds or call their Visitor's Center.

Ditto! Visitors Bureau or the Chamber of Commerce are a great place to start. I've had better luck with the Chambers myself

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
"New England Area" is a pretty big area. Any part in particular? Are you looking for touristy things? Just passing through?

There are plenty of Walmarts around now, and other big box stores in large shopping areas (even in small towns) with large parking areas. Probably the biggest concern is getting in and out through the tight entrances.

Also try looking for "commuter parking lots", they are next to a lot of highway exits. They are usually regularly patrolled by local and state police, but you should be fine for a few hours during the day - if you try to overnight, I think you definitely will be told to leave.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most churchs will let you stay , even got a invite to a supper one time.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
look on the web to see if they have a Fair Grounds or call their Visitor's Center.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We often park on the outskirts and pull the bicycles out of the bed of the truck..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of small towns have commercial properties that have plenty of gravel drive area in front. Not nearly as difficult to park in a small town as it is in a populated/developed urban area.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi