cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Truck Camper

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
I just came across this model of truck camper today Rayzr, never realized that made them this size. They come in 3 models and apparently will fit on just about any pickup truck. Does anyone think this would work in a Honda Ridgeline truck.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-travel-lite-rayzr/
23 REPLIES 23

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-travel-lite-625-super-lite/
Link-Basically same camper with more standard front cab over bed.
First look, your thoughts of the upright front echoed mine. Looks like a box. However looking at side profile air may actually flow with less restriction on the Rayzr...

As I stated in the Rayzr video that I made, "the blunt front impacted fuel economy dramatically". I was used to pulling 4 travel trailers before getting our first "truck Camper", the Rayzr FK. Pulling a 3500 lb single axle TT over 8,000 miles yielded 14.2 mpg with the 3.6L V-6 Pentastar Ram. We then upgraded to a much larger 6000 lb dual axle TT and mileage dropped to 12.9 mpg. Keep in mind that frontal area on both these rigs was substantial. As I also mentioned, the advertised 985 lb Rayzr FK tipped the Cat scale at 1325 lbs but being so much lighter than the 6000 lb TT, I expected better fuel economy. I was surprised to find that the same Ram with the Rayzr yielded 12.8 mpg .... less economy than pulling a 6000 lb travel trailer !

The Travel Lite 625 in the review is advertised at 1260 lbs. No way ! If the Rayzr is 1325, how can a cab over version weigh less. For the record, we also had a Travel Lite 770R advertised at 1385 lbs and it tipped the scale at 1920 lbs. I weigh every rig bone dry on the way home from the dealership before adding anything what so ever.

For comparison sake, we sold the V-6 Ram and bought a 2500HD due to our experience with the overweight 770R. We added an Adventurer 80RB which tipped the scales fully loaded at 2280 lbs. This truck has the 6.4L Hemi and we traveled about 9000 miles to western Canada from GA last year averaging 13.9 mpg. Since switching to the little Eureka on the same 2500, our recent trip to Navarre, FL showed a 330 mile stretch averaging 15.1 mpg. Bigger truck, bigger camper .... still better than smaller truck with a Rayzr.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-travel-lite-625-super-lite/
Link-Basically same camper with more standard front cab over bed.
First look, your thoughts of the upright front echoed mine. Looks like a box. However looking at side profile air may actually flow with less restriction on the Rayzr...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
06honda wrote:
I just came across this model of truck camper today Rayzr, never realized that made them this size. They come in 3 models and apparently will fit on just about any pickup truck. Does anyone think this would work in a Honda Ridgeline truck.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-travel-lite-rayzr/

Not to rain on your parade but thats the dumest design of a TC from aerodynamic pov.
The flat front is like giant air brake,slowing you down,the mpg must be awful..

If they made it cab over extension it would not only be bigger but way more streamlined aerodynamic too..

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Travels with Yoly wrote:
My biggest issue was with the installation of the A/C unit. On the outside it's horizontal, flush with the wall.

How has the AC been on the Eureka since it has the same setup?

The Eureka set up is nothing like the Travel Lite. The entire A/C in the Travel Lite was contained inside the cabin with the rear of the unit flush with the outside wall. The Eureka and the Runaway Range Runner we previously owned both have the entire A/C hanging off the outside wall with only the face plate basically inside the cabin. They are also installed tilted at a downward angle so that any condensate can't run forward but drains out the back via good old gravity. I've drilled a couple small holes in the bottom to help facilitate any collected water to exit freely. I always have a puddle on the ground under the unit every time I run the A/C.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
My biggest issue was with the installation of the A/C unit. On the outside it's horizontal, flush with the wall.

How has the AC been on the Eureka since it has the same setup?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
The newer Ridgeline doesn't have the slope, which might give you more options to pick from. "Free showers" news to me!

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest issue was with the installation of the A/C unit. On the outside it's horizontal, flush with the wall. After running it for 8 hours on a hot Georgia summer day I noticed that there wasn't a drop of condensate on the ground anywhere near the camper. I had to wonder where it was going so I called Travel Lite. They said, not to worry; there was a pan beneath the unit where the water collects. So I asked him where this water goes and he told me "it just evaporates". I asked him does it evaporate as quickly as it collects and he couldn't answer 🙂 The potential for water to collect within the wall was too much for my liking.

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
Great hands on info, thanks for that. Big difference bewteen 920 lbs as advertised and actual weight of 1,320 lbs. Never thought about drag but with the design that makes sense to me now. Thanks.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a Rayzr FK a couple years ago. Just be aware that Travel Lite is prone to be a bit misleading in their advertised dry weights. The Rayzr was advertised as 920 lbs but actual weight was about 1,320 lbs. This was determined on a Cat scale coming home from the dealership before any additions or modifications (actual dry weight). We actually sold the unit before camping in it mostly due to design factors I wasn't comfortable with and the huge amount of drag produced by the large frontal area.

Travel Lite Rayzr FK model

realter
Explorer
Explorer
There’s a person from Sioux City who has a Phoenix on the Honda Ridgeline. Do a search here on rv.net.

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar now makes a similar hard side camper. Their Vista camper has a dry weight of 1260 pounds. When loaded with 20 gallons of water and supplies it is likely too heavy for a half ton truck.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems awful short, but that is what a lot of people seem to want.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.. since my Denali is a short bed 1/2 ton, perhaps this could be a new option for me alone when I'm not pulling the trailer! I'll definitely check it out!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great posts. Ridgeline is off the books, will check out the links provided.