Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar prep

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

I see many new campers now are coming with a solar plug port outside for portable panels. Do you need to use a charge controller between your panel and the outside plug port or does the on-board camper charger handle the task of managing the panel's voltage swings?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
The wire size, depends on the wattage and distance. So if you are running 10 amps on 12 volts dc - 120 watts, #14 AWG is fine - if concerned run #12 awg. On RV's the distance is not, many times in the picture.Basic electricity is simple - 10 amps @12v DC = 120 watts, 10 amps at 120
v is 1200 watts are in DC = 100 amps.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
How skimpy is the wiring beyond these solar ports?
If you're referencing the wire that connects from the RV connection port to the batteries, it will probably be 12 AWG. could even be 14 AWG.

Usually 12 AWG, pretty skimpy.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
How skimpy is the wiring beyond these solar ports?
If you're referencing the wire that connects from the RV connection port to the batteries, it will probably be 12 AWG. could even be 14 AWG.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All,

I figured the solar prep packages didn't include an on board charge controller but wasn't sure. Congrats to Lwiddis, he won a bet I wasn't aware of LOL, but brings up a good point. How skimpy is the wiring beyond these solar ports?

Thanks again!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I won the bet.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Jimbee wrote:
Hey All,

I see many new campers now are coming with a solar plug port outside for portable panels. Do you need to use a charge controller between your panel and the outside plug port or does the on-board camper charger handle the task of managing the panel's voltage swings?

Thanks!

They're a way to sell overpriced panels, they use a proprietary connector so you have to buy the panel from the manufacturer at ~300% markup. The best way to go IMHO is to get a panel with integrated charge controller and the plug listed here.

Agree 100% I bought a Renogy 200 watt solar kit for less than $250 and did the same thing. twice the watts for about half the price. If you have the storage space in the bed of your truck on in your RV that is the way I would go.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jimbee, read some online tutorials on solar before you buy anything. It will save you some money. I'll bet a nickel you don't know the gauge of the wire "pre-installed" or why that's important.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jimbee wrote:
Hey All,

Thanks!

They're a way to sell overpriced panels, they use a proprietary connector so you have to buy the panel from the manufacturer at ~300% markup. The best way to go IMHO is to get a panel with integrated charge controller and the plug listed here.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have both a portable and roof mounted solar panels, rigs that come with an exterior port are just leads that are directly wired to the battery bank. At least from what I've seen and from the Renogy portable solar suitcase we own, a charge controller is already included and you would just plug into the port. We don't have a port on our rig but I have added a set of wires that I plug our solar suitcase into without having to remove battery covers. Due to parking in shade and the ability to easily adjust solar suitcase as the sun moves, in many instances it outperforms our roof-mounted solar panels although there are about half the wattage.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
yes, no.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman