cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space heater recommendations?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I recently took a trip to the midwest and was intending to use the propane heat in my NL TC for the sole means to keep the comfort in check and prevent potential freezing issues. The temperatures were in the high 20's a few times at night but up to the 50's in the day. As it turns out, we ended up staying at a location that had full hookups, so I stopped by Walmart and found a relatively compact space heater which saved me many trips to the fill station.

Although this was overall a great solution, the unit I bought had no thermostat but had high/low. The unit was 1500W/750W but on the low setting it produced too much heat for comfortable sleeping. I was thinking it might be nice to have a compact unit that had a thermostat and was safe to leave unattended (meaning no hot surfaces). Does anyone have a recommendation? I use an oil heater at home that includes a thermostat, but it's too big to travel with. A fan isn't critical but probably would be a plus.

TL;DR: I need a portable, compact space heater that is safe to leave unattended and has a thermostat.
18 REPLIES 18

Bedlam
I use a dual element heater. 500w and 1000w or both at 1500w.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Vornado . Best unit ever for our Trailer. Google it.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
bkenobi

Look for a "toe kick" unit. aka a type of baseboard heater.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
If You are going to buy, buy a Radiant Heater. You can sit in front of and and feel the radiant heat, plus looks
nice, like a little fire place.

I have this: Optimus H-5511 Infrared Quartz Radiant Heater. 50 bucks Amazon.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a heater like this one. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500?recordNum=1 It has a thermostat, but also, different levels of heat and fan modes to customize and use just enough heat.

I also have a heating element in my Coleman AC although I prefer the little heater above.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Y-Guy
This is what I recently bought Vornado 1559 BTU 750-Watt Portable Electric Fan Heater VH203 while we used it in our Class A, I bought it because it was small and uses 750/375 watts not the larger 1500 - just what we wanted for the space. The downside, sort of, is the fan runs constantly. But for the price and features it was just perfect.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is what we use. A three foot 1000 watt portable baseboard. It fits in the dinette under the table keeping us warm there or widthwise at the step up to the bed. the heat there tends to flow into the cabover bed area. Best thing about it is it's silent. I don't care for fan heaters when sleeping.
King 3' 1000 watt baseboard portable heater

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
The 750W was a bit warm but off was cold. A thermostat is obviously the solution. The question was just are the coil/IR safe to leave. I do with oil heater but it has no hot surfaces. Sounds like the consensus is yes as long as you dont throw a blanket over them.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The most comfortable and quiet heater are the "oil filled" style (they look a bit like an old fashioned radiator). They are not cheap and they are a bit bulky. Also they do not provide quick heat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bkenobi wrote:
All of this is inline with what I've done to date. The main thing is, can any of these be left unattended? I have no worries leaving the oil heater for a month in the winter. Can any of the coil or IR heaters be left on even overnight without first checking that nothing is close to them?

Idk, I’ve left electric space heaters running inside my trailers for weeks or months at a time. In Seattle, like you, and in my snomachine trailer it’s necessary to keep heat on during the winter sometimes to prevent condensation.

For your camper, I don’t really understand the question. Just get a small heater that does have a thermostat. Most do.
And if 750W is too warm, I wouldn’t even run it at night.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
All of this is inline with what I've done to date. The main thing is, can any of these be left unattended? I have no worries leaving the oil heater for a month in the winter. Can any of the coil or IR heaters be left on even overnight without first checking that nothing is close to them?

just don't kick the bed covers onto the face of your ceramic heater as it will singe the cover.
bumpy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:
I have bought a number of them from Walmart and they all have had thermostats.

x2
I found 2 or 3 small heaters the best for TC. They hung on the outlet, so don't take valuable floor space and putting low-wattage heater at each corner you have even temperature, without blowing circuit breakers.
Obviously they come with thermostat and have build-in timer, who will shut it down after about 8 hr. I am not trilled with 2nd features, but that is how engineers design it.
And yes, Amish can build electric systems.... with hand and pneumatic tools as their religion is not allowing electricity USE.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend the least expensive 1500 watt heater, with a built in thermostat, you can buy. The only thing the expensive ones do that the inexpensive ones don't do is lighten your wallet. Every 1500 watt heating element has the same heating potential.

We carry two that were $12.99 each.

I get a real kick out of the "Amish made" electric heaters. None of the Amish around us have electricity.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors