cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting a camper but my spare stays in the bed. Where do you put your oversized spare? I've got a 35" all terrain.
Thanks

Joe
Joe
27 REPLIES 27

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Raise the camper! You already have a flat and most don't carry a jack strong enough to lift a truck with a TC on it.

Don't not complicate it.

Isn't the factory jack rated to raise a truck loaded to its GVWR? Easy to raise the camper as you say, but what if you were carrying gravel?

Got me, I don't use the tiny thing myself, dangerous enough without a load IMHO.

I'm also well over my gvwr as well.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Grit Dog.
Spare only going to be out front 2-3 days at the most for a weekend of camping/fishing, so camper will be a modest size, nothing big and heavy as the only thing I would upgrade would be a little beef at the rear. Will only be me in there anyways, alone time hahaha. Nice and quiet. Since kids are older and don't want to fish anyways.
For longer trips/vacations with the wife I'll be pulling the TT.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Joe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dude asked about where to put a spare tire, not how in the world is he ever going to put a camper on THAT truck! Btw nice clean looking pickup in your sig..! 90s models GMs are some of the best out there!
Oh, and the 300lb thing.....not correct. You'll lose the dead weight of the spare, maybe plus a tad for it being a bit behind the rear axle.
Assuming 80lb tire/rim, mounted 3' fwd of front axle, 12' c to c on the axles the spare tire will take 20lbs off the rear axle. That's the resultant force required at the rear axle location to off set the tire weight that is now cantilvering off the front axle.
Static moment diagram.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Something that has not been mentioned is the height of 35" tires may make loading and unloading of a truck camper difficult due to the height. The GM's will not fit 33's without modification or a lift kit, so I assume this truck is sitting on tall tires and a lift.

These 35" tires may not be rated sufficiently for carry a camper with all the features that are desired and you may need to scale back your wants or go to heavier rated commercial tires.

Your lift may may also not be the best choice for hauling a camper. Many are designed to allow for more wheel travel by using softer suspension components. This will result in unwanted sag and sway when loaded.

Another point is that if he has aftermarket bling wheels many are not rated for the loads a 3/4 ton truck will see.

That was the reason I hunted around until I found the oddball sized (305/70-18), load range E, 35" tire that would fit on my stock F350 wheels.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Won't be going too big. No slide outs and try to stay under 2600lbs dry. Springs are HD 3/4 ton, no soft springs on this truck. Would still do bags and/or Stable loads. Tires rated for 3500 lbs each on steel rims.
Joe

Bedlam
Something that has not been mentioned is the height of 35" tires may make loading and unloading of a truck camper difficult due to the height. The GM's will not fit 33's without modification or a lift kit, so I assume this truck is sitting on tall tires and a lift.

These 35" tires may not be rated sufficiently for carry a camper with all the features that are desired and you may need to scale back your wants or go to heavier rated commercial tires.

Your lift may may also not be the best choice for hauling a camper. Many are designed to allow for more wheel travel by using softer suspension components. This will result in unwanted sag and sway when loaded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
Another option would be to tow a small covered trailer and put the spare there along with other stuff. Bicycles, lawn chair etc.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
But this isn't a Ford!
I'll believe that moving a spare tire forward takes 300 pounds off the rear when I see it. Even though you're moving it from the almost extreme rear to the extreme front, that's a pretty optimistic number.
Perhaps it's true if your front bumper is extended about fifteen feet forward!
True BUT the OP states he hasn't ever even checked to see if it would fit on his truck. So the FIRST step is to get the tire under there and see.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Vinsil wrote:
Raise the camper! You already have a flat and most don't carry a jack strong enough to lift a truck with a TC on it.

Don't not complicate it.

Isn't the factory jack rated to raise a truck loaded to its GVWR? Easy to raise the camper as you say, but what if you were carrying gravel?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
But this isn't a Ford!
I'll believe that moving a spare tire forward takes 300 pounds off the rear when I see it. Even though you're moving it from the almost extreme rear to the extreme front, that's a pretty optimistic number.
Perhaps it's true if your front bumper is extended about fifteen feet forward!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
On my Ford F350 my 35" spare fits in the stock under bed location. Have you tried yours to see if it fits or did you just assume it wouldn't?

Yup, mine does too.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Oregun wrote:
Vinsil wrote:

Wow if I could remove it and gain 300 lbs...id just leave my spare at home! I might test this out..

I think moving spare to front helps lift more weight off the rear axle
than just removing the spare.

Hmm. Acting as a lever, I see where this going.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Vinsil wrote:

Wow if I could remove it and gain 300 lbs...id just leave my spare at home! I might test this out..

I think moving spare to front helps lift more weight off the rear axle
than just removing the spare.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I remember topic somewhere about turning spare wheel winch sideways, so you can crank it via fender well.
I would like to point that moving the spare wheel change the rear axle load by quite a bit.
Depends on the lengths, sometimes moving 80lb spare from the rear of the camper to front bumper can lower rear axle load by 300 lb.
Sure wheel on front bumper is not too cosmetic, but safety is important too.