cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squeaking Clutch

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any ideas why my oem clutch started squeaking when my foot presses down? The truck is a 2004.5 with the nv5600 transmission. It has a 148000 miles on it and the clutch still works.
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
20 REPLIES 20

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the truck out of the shop. Put in a heavy duty valeo clutch kit 6 aped with a ceramic disc. Parts and labor 1128.00. I hope this one last for 14 years like the oem clutch.
Elwood & Kathy
HO 600 373

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still unclear info, but if itโ€™s not squealing when the clutch is disengaged, engine running then likely not the throwout bearing.
But if itโ€™s only related to clutch pedal/linkage/shift fork movement then it should make the same noises engine off.
Mine squeals when letting off the pedal in 2nd gear most of the time but itโ€™s the ceramic inserts in the clutch lining that make the noise under light load engagement. And only in 2nd.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I understand better; it only squeaks when the pedal is actually moving?
That wont be a bearing, just a pivot point or the rubber grommet in the fire wall.

Except he just said it doesnโ€™t squeak when the engine is off so I canโ€™t tell. The dribbling of information makes diagnosing a bit tough. Described as a โ€œsqueakโ€ does sound more like the pedal and less metallic.

OP, does the sound come from under the truck or inside by the pedal? If you slowly press the pedal with the engine running or ride the pedal can you make the squeak turn into a more constant squeal? There are YouTube videos of bad throw out bearings. Does yours sound anything like that?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I understand better; it only squeaks when the pedal is actually moving?
That wont be a bearing, just a pivot point or the rubber grommet in the fire wall.

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
The clutch does not squeak when the motor is not running.
Elwood & Kathy
HO 600 373

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elwoodj wrote:
I want to thank everyone who replied to this post. The clutch squeaks when I mash it to change gears and when I release it after the gear change.
Mine did that and I lubed the pivot points of the clutch pedal. No more squeaks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The throw out bearing is a constant contact so would likely make noise if bad even with clutch pedal released.

:h Think it would not be good running the rig without free travel at the clutch pedal.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Elwoodj wrote:
I want to thank everyone who replied to this post. The clutch squeaks when I mash it to change gears and when I release it after the gear change.

Try without the engine running if it still squeaks then pedal pivot points. The throw out bearing is a constant contact so would likely make noise if bad even with clutch pedal released.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
Elwood & Kathy
HO 600 373

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Presuming it's the throwout and not just random squeaks, agree at 150k I'd likely do the clutch....but if it's a gently driven stock 5600 it could have another 100k mi left in it.
For sure pilot bearing and for good measure if I was doing the clutch and didn't want to crack it again for a long time I'd do the rear main and input shaft seal just because it's cheap n easy while the trans is out.

Rear main on mine just started weeping at about 160k.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
boogie_4wheel wrote:
It's the rubber boot sliding over the pushrod going through the firewall. Had an 01.5 with NV5600 do the exact same thing in cold temps.

You can spray a lube on it from under the dash to eliminate the noise.

So far the best statement!
Does it squeak when you depress the pedal to start the engine? If so then the pedal assembly needs lubing with a dry lube.
If it only squeaks with the engine running most likely the throw out bearing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is most likely the throw out bearing. as has been said if you drop the transmission replace every thing and don't forget the pilot bushing or bearing. With that many miles even if clutch and pressure plate look good replace them anyway.
It's too much work to remove the transmission and not replace the clutch and it is preventive maintenance. If the clutch comes apart it can cause a lot of damage.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Throw out bearing. Don't ignore it or it will punish you.
Plan for a new clutch while in there.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
It's the rubber boot sliding over the pushrod going through the firewall. Had an 01.5 with NV5600 do the exact same thing in cold temps.

You can spray a lube on it from under the dash to eliminate the noise.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny