cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SRW TC size/weight limit

Tfair1
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 5th wheel toy hauler around Minnesota and want to buy a TC for cross country travel for just my wife and I. I have had a number of small (8') TC's in the past, but want something a bit larger. What is the "reasonable" size/weight limit for a '15 Duramax 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB? I understand DRW is the preferred way to do this, but how much camper could I expect to haul well,without wishing I had bought smaller...?

I'm guessing this subject has probably been discussed at length in the past.
15 REPLIES 15

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
For a non slide the Northstar 12 was built for that truck. Great camper. That may be my next one.
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldnโ€™t look at it as a weight perspective since that can vary quite a lot. Instead, Iโ€™d look at 8-8 1/2 ft models, or youโ€™ll wish you had gotten smaller for long trips when you are carrying a lot of stuff. DRWs are a completely different set of rules.

Btw, I drove a SRW with my same camper I have now for 8 1/2 years. I just didnโ€™t carry much and only used it for very short trips. Even the movement of the water from front to the black/grey tanks made a difference on the road. The fresh water tank was in the front of the camper.

I only kept the SRW because it was my daily driver and I couldnโ€™t physically fit a DRW in the parking lots where I needed to park without taking multiple spaces. Instead, I added 19.5 tires/wheels for extra capacity just in case. Blowouts arenโ€™t fun, and I was avoiding that by going with tires/wheels rated almost a 1000 lbs more than stock. If you can get by with the DRW, do it instead.

However, the best thing to do is go look at campers and decide on what layouts will work for you. Then, pick the truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jknight611 wrote:
Do you think the engineers that designed the truck had input from management to get the gross weight as high as possible?

Definitely not. Many trucksโ€™ GVWR are set to meet legal classifications, not capabilities. 9900, 11400, 14000, etc.

Jknight611
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think the engineers that designed the truck had input from management to get the gross weight as high as possible? In the event of an accident will the attorneys understand that โ€œit drove fine 1,000 lbs over the manufacturers gross weightโ€, or will they find the driver at fault for overweight vehicle. Maximum gross weight means the maximum weight the truck is certified to carry. As customers we canโ€™t change the gross weight of a vehicle by adding heavy tires or any other โ€œadd onsโ€. The liability for the overweight RV owner is simply too great in a accident, and if the RV is involved a fatal accident..... as RV owners we need to think of our personal liability, will your insurance cover you when found to be over manufactureโ€™s gross weight?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
I understand DRW is the preferred way to do this, but how much camper could I expect to haul well,without wishing I had bought smaller...?

Your 3500 srw GM has a 7050 rawr which includes wheels/tires and rear spring pack. Of course we know the tires capacity but I'm not up on GM wheel or rear spring pack ratings on gm trucks. Exceeding a wheel/tire or rear spring rating full time ain't real smart.
You have the truck so drop by a set of scales and weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately. That way you will know the trucks actual rear axle payload as it may carry all the TC weight.

example; ...Many late model 3500 srw gm owners report a 3200-3400 rear axle weight which leaves approx 3600-3800 lbs for a payload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just guessing but without any big mods I would keep it around 4,000 and under tire limits. I would also recommend a Hellwig BigWig anti sway bar no matter how heavy you go with a camper. Just back off the brackets on one side a couple inches when you don't have the camper on.
You will love the TC for blasting down the highway, fueling wherever you want, eating any place you want, without worrying how you are backing that 5th wheel out of a dead end.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a about a 4k payload. I hauled my TC in my signature with my 11 duramax which is the year they made the big upgrade in payload. My TC with wet and all gear is right around that 4k and it handled fine even when pulling my 3500 pound boat. I presently haul the same TC with my 2017 3500 gasser and it is just great. The only add is my quick connect Torklift stable loads. These work very well for corner swaying. All that being said sticking somewhere around the
4k mark is what I would do. I am also within my tire specs. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to check your wheel capacity.
Many custom wheels have less weight capacity than the stock.
Generally, steel wheels have the highest ratings.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled an 11' Fleetwood on a 2007 Chevy SRW 3500. It was an older model camper so it had no basement and no slides. Loaded up to camp it put about 4,500 pounds on the truck. I was right at the limit of the rear tires. I added airbags and drove it thousands of miles without incident. Your truck is even more capable due to it's improved frame and springs from an '07. However, I would try to stay with no more than a 9 or 10 foot camper. Modern campers with basements and slides are a lot heavier.
When I put my 11' camper on a 2005 Chevy dually after a few years the difference in ride and handling was incredible. It was a much, much nicer experience. Less bounce, less sway, better ride, etc. The dually isn't a slight upgrade, it's a monumental improvement.

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
I've hauled my Lance 921 on my '97 SWR F350 for the last 12 years with no issues. The camper ended up weighing 4600 lbs all loaded down with fluids and gear, which is quite a bit higher than the dry weight. As has been said, the rear axle can carry the weight, but the limiting factor is the tires. I went to 19.5's with 245/70 load range G tires, 4500 lb per tire, and did not have any issues. I also nearly all the time pullad a car trailer. I would not, however, go any heavier than that. BTW, the sticker on the trucks for rear axle load rating is the tires. You can look up your actual axle rating if you search for it.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh your rear axle and subtract from your tire weight rating, this will give you a starting point. If you want to stay below the sticker ratings there you go. On my 2013 2500HD my rear weighs 3600lbs and my factory tires were rated about 6400lbs so I had 2800lbs to work with. I haul a 4000lb commercial cap so I upgraded to heavier wheels and 19.5 tires as well as upgraded springs and airbags.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Your rear tires dictate the weight you can safely carry.

On the side of the tires there ought to be something like: "xxxx max lbs at yyy psi".

Get your rear end weighed empty (many are fairly close to 3000lbs) and then subtract the empty weight from the tires rating * 2 = absolute maximum payload.

Personally, I'll make sure that there is ~500lbs or more capacity then payload.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen a Lance 975 on a truck like you have,but I wouldn't go any bigger. You would probably need air bags.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine your weight limit would be determined by your tire load capacity. I know it is for my 2006 Duramax. 2 * tire capacity - empty weight on rear wheels = absolute max upper weight limit. The axle capacity in a Duramax is way over 10000 lbs.
And if you start pushing the tire limit, you may need spring upgrades of some style to be happy with the ride.
Cal