cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starcraft Launch M-21FBS

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping for many years and am familiar with various travel trailers. I am looking at a used 2014 Starcraft Launch M-21FBS. I am looking for input on that trailer line and if possible that model both good and bad. I'm aware of the NADA value, etc, but not really interested in input on price. Also, I'd really prefer input from people who actually have or had one...not so much from people who heard this or heard that. Thanks.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS
10 REPLIES 10

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Rookiecamper wrote:
The trailer is in outstanding, practically new condition and they are asking an extremely reasonable price. My wife and I are seriously considering calling him to buy it.

If you're satisfied you've done your due diligence and this trailer otherwise suits your needs then it probably is a good choice. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch alone runs about $700
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you for the input. I just got back from looking at the trailer and made a definite point of thoroughly inspecting along the front wall, inside, outside, and in the storage compartment...moved some of their stuff out of the way and was in beyond my shoulders with a flashlight! Completely dry with no signs of any water at all at this point. The trailer is in outstanding, practically new condition and they are asking an extremely reasonable price. The price would be very good for just the trailer and he is throwing in a brand new cover still in the box and an Equal-i-zer brand hitch. My wife and I are seriously considering calling him to buy it.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
True, and it depends on how much water damage there is, if any. Was it stored outside? Did the seam leak at every rain or only when being pulled down the road ? Ours leaked only while being towed so the damage was minimal Did it leak at all ? not every one did.

A thorough examination of the trailer is always important. Most times the owner does more damage than mother nature.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:
Its an easy repair. If it wasn't under warranty I would have done it myself in less time than it took to drag it to the repair shop.

Good for you but irrelevant as the vast majority of RV owners wouldn't take on the task of completely removing a wall to repair water damage ... and if the wall itself proves to have suffered significant damage it would have to be replaced with a brand new one at a not insignificant cost. In the OP's case there would be little point in purchasing a trailer he knows already has suffered damage or in this particular case is known (and acknowledged by the factory) to have prematurely failed, particularly when there are so many other choices out there available. As I read the OP's original post this is exactly the type of information he's looking for. 😉

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Its an easy repair. If it wasn't under warranty I would have done it myself in less time than it took to drag it to the repair shop.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:
Our Starcraft leaked in the exact same spot too. The factory recall went smoothly (once we stopped going to CW) and haven't had a single problem. Last year we put pert near 10,000 miles on it.

Geez, now that you mention it I do recall my friend telling me something about Starcraft acknowledging a production problem of some sort, which was the reason his dealer had no problem at all getting approval to replace the entire front wall under warranty. My apologies to the OP, I had forgotten all about that ... but if you're looking at a used one with no warranty you might want to check further into this.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Our Starcraft leaked in the exact same spot too. The factory recall went smoothly (once we stopped going to CW) and haven't had a single problem. Last year we put pert near 10,000 miles on it.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, SoundGuy. I appreciate your input as you do have real life experience with one. I didn't mean to make the wrong impression, but I've been on these forums for quite some time and and hearsay can get thrown around as baseless fact. We currently have an 'o5 Expedition, but wife was interested in looking at an Acadia so your info was dead on.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Rookiecamper wrote:
I am looking at a used 2014 Starcraft Launch M-21FBS. I am looking for input on that trailer line and if possible that model both good and bad.

Also, I'd really prefer input from people who actually have or had one...not so much from people who heard this or heard that.

I don't own one but good friends of ours, long time popup campers with whom we camp frequently, after seeing our Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS which has the identical floor plan, decided to buy the Starcraft last year. Whether these comments are acceptable to you I guess you'll have to decide. :W

Our friends' Starcraft is a foot longer than ours, a couple hundred pounds heavier, IIRC has an 8 cu ft fridge instead of a 6 cu ft which we have, but is otherwise pretty well the same. If there's any downside to the Starcraft it's the relatively limited Cargo Carrying Capacity compared to our Freedom Express which has well over a ton ... that doesn't seem to have concerned him but it would me. He's really only had one issue with the trailer which unfortunately is pretty major - it leaked like a sieve through the front wall and into the bedroom area. The trailer has been winter stored at his dealer the last few months and apparantly the dealer has received authorization from Starcraft to replace the entire front wall under warranty before our friends retrieve it for the upcoming camping season.

Regardless of brand though, if you can live with the tiny bathroom it's a great rear entry floorplan for a couple of adults, paticularly since it's a size that can be placed on pretty well any campsite. As for towing, I tow with a 5.3L Avalanche, he tows with a V6 Arcadia and although he says it does "well enough" he's already thinking in terms of a 1/2 ton truck as his next vehicle. I'd agree.