cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stealth camping with a Lance TC w/ Tent Option

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Looking at switching from a large fifth wheel TH to a motorhome or truck camper. Some nice features of a motorhome is that we could stealth camp (keep slides in and not have to go outside) during some of our longer drives. Or in slow driving situations, like stuck in traffic crossing the border to Canada, kids can grab a snack from fridge or go to restroom.

The truck campers that we would consider are the Lance TCs with the tent option (models 830, 1131, 1040 and 1191). Maybe there are other models? We would not extend the tent during "stealth" camping times.

Two questions:
1. Is it possible to crawl through the rear truck window into the camper to access the bathroom and beds?
2. Is the camper door still accessible from the inside with the slides closed? As in, we would not have to crawl back through the truck window come morning time.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
26 REPLIES 26

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
woodhog wrote:
Here is some good info on what you want to do from Truck Camper Magazine.

Crawling thru a camper

I just ordered northstars completely removable pass through window for my wolf creek. It looks like the dimensions are the same 🙂
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some models of pass thru windows are completely removable from inside the camper. I don't know how that would work from inside the truck. Maybe that type of window would work better for what you want to do.
Some Lance models PTW's are one piece.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some good info on what you want to do from Truck Camper Magazine.

Crawling thru a camper
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like someone said....Have you really looked at the size of a Lance slider 'pass-a-cat' thru window ?
Because the slider doesn't open completely 50% .
Usable space is less than 1/2 of what you see here.

waykat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 lance 1131 and it is completely usable with the slides in. We have 3 kids and everyone can sleep with the tent in even though it is tighter. I don't like the idea of crawling through the window so we don't use it like that. It's pretty easy to go through the door on the side.

We looked really hard at a motor home before this and thought that was the way we would go for sure. Make sure you test drive one with the kids before buying. We were ready to buy a motor home then drove it with the kids... they HATED it! it was loud, not comfortable for riding in the back in for hours and the kids got sea sick with the swaying. Make sure it's a fit for you before taking the plunge.

Let me know of you have any questions; I'm happy to help.
Wayne, Kathy and the Triplets
2007 Lance 1131
2010 Ford F-350 DRW 6.4L

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
mayo30 wrote:
Jaxom wrote:
"Turtleing" is what Claude Lemieux does.

Yup that is correct,needs a good you know what to straighten him up.

I'm pretty sure D-Mac gave it to him.

Maybe so guys, but Roy took care of Osgood..... Those were fun days during the Avs Red Wings rivalry; too bad they rearranged things! I shaved my head along with a bunch of other numbskulls when we beat the Red Wings in the 1996 run.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
mayo30 wrote:
Jaxom wrote:

I'm pretty sure D-Mac gave it to him.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
No one pays attention to two people climbing into their camper at a rest area. Just use the door.

^^^^

I don't know why anyone should care what the heck you're doing at a rest stop. I certainly don't, nor do I care what others might think. I did exactly that at 2AM on Sat. Got a late start Fri. night, pulled into a rest area, got out of truck and into camper. Good night. After oversleeping, got up, put my bunny rabbit slippers and robe on. Made coffee, ate breakfast and watched all the people pulling in looking all road weary with no place to lay their head down. At first, I gazed upon them with pity, but then, I humbled myself knowing that I was once one of them. 😛
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No one pays attention to two people climbing into their camper at a rest area. Just use the door.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my heart set on the 1040 before my Wolf Creek and drove 3 hours with cashiers check in hand to pick it up. When I loaded it on the truck to make sure everything fit the pass thru window is not in the center of the camper and WAY offset so there was no way my kids could climb through to use the restroom, etc. That was a deal breaker for me and left the camper on the lot.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
the bear II wrote:
We've never been asked to leave a rest stop with our 5th wheel. If the parking area is large and I can find a spot where the slides don't block another parking spot or walk way(like an end spot)we put the slides out. Otherwise we leave the slides in for the hours we are there.

While traveling we always have snacks and drinks inside the truck and I like to stop every 200 to 300 miles to stretch or get fuel. Always been willing to pull off at the next wide spot in the road or exit to use the "facilities" if needed.

Sure like having 400 square feet of room to be in when the weather turns nasty and we are stuck somewhere for several days.

Hated it when we only had a 10ft TC to stay in with bad weather for days. Cabin fever kicks in quick.

X2.... After that big 5th wheel I don't think you're going to find the room in the camper adequate... Especially if you have more than 2 folks. We went from an Arctic fox camper to a 30 foot 5th wheel with no slides. So far so good after a full year.

Yes, that is a concern... going to a much smaller rig, even if it is a really big TC.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
For use with slides in your best checking one out in person. Not only should you be able to gain entry, but acsess to the fridge and bathroom are important. Give up on slithering between the truck and camper.
As faR as finding quiet spots to rest on the road, if traditional choices like rest stops aren't availsable, I've have luck a couple of times pulling in with other parked vehicles overnight at closed service stations. Blend right in, usually well lite, and safe. This has helped when overestimating how long I can drive and needing someplace to sleep quick.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer