cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering/Ride Quality of Big Three HD trucks

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had two Ford diesels- an 05 with the famous death wobble. I then went half ton for awhile but then got a '13 Powerstroke. The steering wheel would still move with every imperfection in the road. I tried both 2wd with the Twin I beam and the solid axle four wheel drive -both stink.
I need a truck with NO feedback from the road to the steering wheel. I have tendonitis in both elbows and all of the movement of the steering wheel makes my arms hurt so bad that I can't drive for very long. I dumped the Powerstroke for a F150 but need a HD truck again.

If you have a Duramax how is the steering? If you let go of the steering wheel and drive down the road or thru a pasture does the wheel move with every imperfection in the road?
If you have had a Dodge, how was the steering on it? The report on pickuptrucks.com said that the Dodge had the best feeling steering but that's hard to believe since it's got a solid front axle.

Ride quality, as far as the rear end bouncing on bumps isn't as big of a concern but any input there would be helpful too.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
37 REPLIES 37

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
Go drive them all. And most ford guys haven't so they don't understand how nice a GM truck drives and tows.

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 f350 SRW has always and still does go down the road perfectly. I don't understand these posts on them driving sp badly. I love to get behind the wheel and go with or without a 33 ft fifth wheel,no problems.jb jmho
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
No feed back on my Dodge, but it's a 2wd with rack and pinion steering. I assume you want a 4wd.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
LimogesMan wrote:
How about going out to the dealership and test drive them?

We have a winner.

Steering performance & ride comfort leave a pretty good margin for subjectivity so you really need to drive them all to find the one YOU feel is best.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
If test driving new I would hope that they all drive great/awesome/super. Test drive some used trucks with 50,000~100,000 miles. I think you will see a noticeable difference.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Thanks for the responses. My 05 Super Duty had a steering stabilizer. I replaced it with an aftermarket one but it didn't help much. I didn't try dual stabilizers because I was just running the stock suspension with no lift or larger tires. In 2011 I went to an F150 ecoboost. It was fine until I got a Nitro 24FQS toyhauler. I ordered a 2013 F250 to pull it with. While waiting on the truck to get here I sold the toyhauler and bought a Surveyor Select travel trailer. The '13 F250 arrived and the steering was awful. I had ordered a 2wd hoping that it would be better than the previous 4wd. I was wrong. The twin I beam was worse and I couldn't find an aftermarket stabilizer to add. So I sold it and got another F150 ecoboost. This truck tows the 30' Surveyor TT just fine but I need to start hauling some large loads of hay and need more capacity.
So this is why I am looking at heavy duty trucks again.

My question for current Dodge owners is, why does the Dodge have such a better steering setup if both the Ford and Dodge are solid front axles? It makes perfect since that the Duramax being IFS would be better.

Yes, I will do a long........... test drive before spending $50-60k on another truck.

Thanks

I bet your Ford Dealership sent you a nice Christmas card!
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

whsk
Explorer
Explorer
no steering issues on my 2013 Ram 3500-whsk

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the responses. My 05 Super Duty had a steering stabilizer. I replaced it with an aftermarket one but it didn't help much. I didn't try dual stabilizers because I was just running the stock suspension with no lift or larger tires. In 2011 I went to an F150 ecoboost. It was fine until I got a Nitro 24FQS toyhauler. I ordered a 2013 F250 to pull it with. While waiting on the truck to get here I sold the toyhauler and bought a Surveyor Select travel trailer. The '13 F250 arrived and the steering was awful. I had ordered a 2wd hoping that it would be better than the previous 4wd. I was wrong. The twin I beam was worse and I couldn't find an aftermarket stabilizer to add. So I sold it and got another F150 ecoboost. This truck tows the 30' Surveyor TT just fine but I need to start hauling some large loads of hay and need more capacity.
So this is why I am looking at heavy duty trucks again.

My question for current Dodge owners is, why does the Dodge have such a better steering setup if both the Ford and Dodge are solid front axles? It makes perfect since that the Duramax being IFS would be better.

Yes, I will do a long........... test drive before spending $50-60k on another truck.

Thanks
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My ex-truck (F450) had steering wheel play by 75,000 mi. Whole front end rebuild at 90.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a 11 Duramax 3/4 and one ton. Now a 12 Dodge 3500. Steering and handling good in all three. I like the Dodge best but not because of handling. Never owned a Ford. Probably won't.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Steering and handling have as much to do with tires, suspension geometry, and design as anything. Maybe you need to keep what you have and look at improving it with better tires, quality shocks and see how it goes.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have to give the nod to the Chevy IFS for having the minimum bump steer. I would say the Chevy HD IFS is comparable a half ton in terms of bump steer.

Both the Ford and Dodge have a steering stabilizer on the front suspension for a reason.

To resolve the Bump Steer this issue with a Ford or Dudge you'll have to add a after market dual steering stabilizers and will perform much better.

I would also give the nod to the pre '14 Dudge with having the harshest ride. Now that they have the copy and past Ford large swing are front suspension and coil springs on the rear I'm sure the ride quality has improved. I've yet to read of any reviews on the new rear coil suspension setup. :h
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 02 Ford F-350 dually that I bought used in 05 and during test drive it had the death wobble. During an inspection of the steering there was no steering stabilizer and they installed one for free and all my problems went away. Steering is a little stiff but it is a truck and don't want it too easy so it doesn't wander. Goes down the road staight and not affected by any bumps.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I forgot to say take a duramax on test drive and run down some of those same roads. Proof in the pudding !!

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
My '12 Chevy 3500 goes straight down the road and no feed back on bumps or imperfections in the road. I work for a company that has 3 '07 Fords, 1 F250 and 2 F550's, all of them not only do you feel every bump at the steering wheel but they wonder, very hard to keep going straight down the road.