cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still can't decide between DRW or SRW?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks ago I broke my own cardinal rule and arrived at the cg after dark. The last 20 or so miles had been driven in deepening darkness on a twisting 2 lane in the Kentucky foothills. Had been a long day, so we just went to bed, without unhitching. While unhitching the next morning, found my outside dually tire completely flat, with a puncture in the sidewall. It was fine the last time we had stopped, so I don't know when it happened. It is very possible that the DRW kept me out of a very dangerous situation on a dark road. I'll never complain about having to park further from the door or not fitting into the drive through.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
73 REPLIES 73

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
As far as comparing SRW 19.5" to DRW 17" I have this to add,

First Superduty: 1995.5 F350 7.3 DRW CCLB 4x4 17" E rated stock suspension

Next Superduty: 2003 F350 7.3 SRW CCLB 4x4 19.5" G rated tires Rickson wheels Extra rear overload springs, Timbrens, larger rear sway bar

My experience was that the DRW always felt more stable with the truck camper in it. With bumper pull trailers the difference was less noticeable.

I eventually switched back to an 18" wheel and E rated Toyo MT's on the SRW and felt it was a better compromise for where we traveled, as the 19.5's rode too harsh empty, and didn't work well in the sand.

When it came time to get a new truck, the SRW wasn't even on my radar. Even with the 19.5's the newer F450 rides better than how I had the F350 SRW set up.

As stated earlier, the wide track front axle and tighter turning radius more than make up for any extra width when parking or going through drive thru's.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
After many SRW to tow with and now DRW, its the way to go.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The independent front suspension of GM trucks does ride smoother/softer than the solid axle front ends of 4wd Fords and Dodges. Ford did improve it some when they changed from leaf springs to coil springs up front on the 4wds. It's just the nature of a solid axle, versus independent a-arms.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
My BIL drove a ram 3500 DRW as a daily driver (farm/ranch) and just grew tired on getting beat by the rough ride. He now switched to a 2015 Super Duty F350 SRW and is so much happier because of the ride quality.

We kept the ram for those special heavy loads but it's not a daily driver anymore.

I can't comment on older Ram 3500's but my 2015 GMC 3500 HD dually rides much nicer than a 2014 Ford 350 SRW that the boss owns. Both of his Ford 350's, 1 -DRW and 1 SRW, ride very rough.

I would tend to agree with you that the front suspension on the GM ride a bit smoother.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
My BIL drove a ram 3500 DRW as a daily driver (farm/ranch) and just grew tired on getting beat by the rough ride. He now switched to a 2015 Super Duty F350 SRW and is so much happier because of the ride quality.

We kept the ram for those special heavy loads but it's not a daily driver anymore.

I can't comment on older Ram 3500's but my 2015 GMC 3500 HD dually rides much nicer than a 2014 Ford 350 SRW that the boss owns. Both of his Ford 350's, 1 -DRW and 1 SRW, ride very rough.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Nice comparison Fish, what year was the RAM?

The last of the good ones... 2007 with a 5.9

Well there you go, proof that Ford uses soft springs to increase ride quality, and they almost all get bagged to carry a load.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Nice comparison Fish, what year was the RAM?

The last of the good ones... 2007 with a 5.9
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
my 2016 crew cab dually has a tighter turning radius than my previous 2011 f250 crew cab long bed and they are both the same length.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I used to take my old GM dually through drive-throughs often. It was a regular cab long bed pickup. The width of the duals wasn't a problem most of the time.

When I replaced the dually with my crew cab long bed single rear wheel F350, I found it harder to go through drive throughs with the F350 than with with dually. The problem is the wheelbase length of the truck. Even though the single rear wheel truck is narrower than the dually, the extra length of the crew cab makes it turn wider. Most drive throughs have a tight turn or 2 to go through. I have taken the crew cab through many drive throughs, but I have to do a little back and forth jockeying sometimes to get it around the turns, which I usually didn't have to do with the regular cab dually.

I find it easier to just park in the parking lot and walk in. No biggie.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
I sneak my SRW F-250 6.75' bed through almost every single drive through. Sometimes requiring retracting my mirrors, or slightly pushing the rear tires off the curb, but I have always made it. I wouldn't go in almost every drive through If I had a DRW.

However, I agree if you have extreme payload in your truck, from say a 5er or something, then DRW makes sense. I'd get one if I needed it.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
My F250 started with the 18" F350 rated wheels and camper package giving me the rear upper overload spring of the F350 plus a stablizer bar. Adding upper and lower StableLoads allowed it to carry 7000 lbs on the rear axle without excessive sag and still very good empty handling.

The additional 1000 lbs on the rear to get to 8000 lbs required more upgrades. 19.5" tires and rims (my setup had 4805 lb rated tires and 4500 lb rated rims), heavier dampening shocks (these 19.5" commercial wheels are heavier and need better dampening control) and air bags (the springs were too at their limits). Adding the heavier tires made the ride harder than stock, but my shocks were the adjustable Rancho's so dampening could be adjusted for heavy or light loads.

I'm sure the 4-link air suspension will make the ride better loaded and unloaded. I didn't go this route because I plan on upgrading to a 6000 lb truck camper that would have overloaded the Sterling 10.5's 9750 lb rating.

I'm sure if you wanted to you could throw some semi springs on it and haul a 48ft semi trailer but have you given any thought to what the axle is rated for...sure it can probably be overloaded for a while but sooner not later you'll be looking at a bearing or housing failure.

Not the person you were addressing, but he addressed that in his last paragraph (as he pointed out).

But for me, I have the same running gear as a 3500HD on my 2500HD. Same engine, brakes, and axle. Same cooling components. The suspension is a little different but I'm getting rid of the stock suspension altogether and installing suspension that is designed as a serious upgrade over the stock 1T system. And even with the 3/4T, I'm only missing a single overload leaf. With my current setup, air bags and stable loads, and only 7500 RAW, I don't think I'm exceeding the suspension capability by any stretch. That being said, I'll have completely replaced the rear suspension in a couple weeks. I'm running about 1300# over the GM RAW on my truck, which conveniently happened to be just about the capacity of 2x stock tires. My tires support 9880# per axle, so those are no longer the weakest link. My wheels support 9000# per axle, so they are a limiting factor, but still probably not the weakest link. My stock suspension is arguably still the weakest link, but as mentioned, 7500# is probably safe on it. Not wanting to take any chances, that was one of a few factors that went into me buying a replacement rear suspension rated for 12000#. The axle on my truck is rated by AAM for 10800#. So now.. I've gone from:

- Stock tire limit: 6200#
- Stock wheel limit: 6200#
- Stock suspension limit: 6200#
- Stock axle limit: 10800#

To now:

- New tire limit: 9880#
- New wheel limit: 9000#
- New suspension limit: 12000#
- Same axle limit: 10800#

Are you saying that it would be unreasonable to use 9000# as the new limit? Again, there are no other components in play that make my truck any less capable than a 3500HD SRW at this point, which has a RAWR of 7050#. And the only step from there to a dually there is the dual rear wheels, which adds tire capacity.

If you don't think it's safe to run a RAWR of 7500# on that, please provide a technical explain why. I'd really love to know. I'm under all other weights - including GCVWR - and only over the GVWR and RAWR provided by GM for a stock truck. The dually RAWR is 9375#, which is going to be whatever the lowest rated component is. With my knowledge of those components, I believe that to be the suspension. But regardless of that, I'm using an even lower figure as my maximum. That just shows that GM has enough faith in the engine, transmission, axle (I even have the same gear ratio), etc to run 9375# on it. So my 9000# (and especially 7500#) should be safe.

I do believe duallys have their place and if my trailer were much heavier I would have gone that route. Even with 19.5" tires you don't get the full capability of a dually, but within their capacities, you should get very similar performance.

For example, the dually tires on my generation of truck would be LT235/80R17/E. As a dually set, they have a total rating of 11340#. Even if I had stronger wheels, I max out at 9880#. But my sidewalls are steel belted and probably 60% thicker, and I can run at higher pressures, so I should be nearly as stable if not as stable as dual tires when running within my limits.

The requirement to spread the load over more tires seems to me that it would be exponential. It probably isn't a big deal with adding 4-5K to the rear axle, which spreads a reasonable 2-2.5K of additional weight to each of the tires. But it's going to be a huge deal with a 48' trailer with axles near the tail end that is pushing 20K+ down onto the truck. Now we're talking about adding 10000# per tire, which is much less feasible with current tire technology. Thus spreading the load either over much larger tires or many more of them. That reference is a ridiculous apples to oranges one.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Bedlam
The last paragraph of my post addressed your concern.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
My F250 started with the 18" F350 rated wheels and camper package giving me the rear upper overload spring of the F350 plus a stablizer bar. Adding upper and lower StableLoads allowed it to carry 7000 lbs on the rear axle without excessive sag and still very good empty handling.

The additional 1000 lbs on the rear to get to 8000 lbs required more upgrades. 19.5" tires and rims (my setup had 4805 lb rated tires and 4500 lb rated rims), heavier dampening shocks (these 19.5" commercial wheels are heavier and need better dampening control) and air bags (the springs were too at their limits). Adding the heavier tires made the ride harder than stock, but my shocks were the adjustable Rancho's so dampening could be adjusted for heavy or light loads.

I'm sure the 4-link air suspension will make the ride better loaded and unloaded. I didn't go this route because I plan on upgrading to a 6000 lb truck camper that would have overloaded the Sterling 10.5's 9750 lb rating.

I'm sure if you wanted to you could throw some semi springs on it and haul a 48ft semi trailer but have you given any thought to what the axle is rated for...sure it can probably be overloaded for a while but sooner not later you'll be looking at a bearing or housing failure.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

blt2ski
Here the Puget sound region, I am seeing more and more OTR rigs with SS tires than years past. Still low compared to duals, but in high single digit percentages.
If I could have gotten a SS equal for my 05 GM dually, or my 92 navistar with dual 225 19.5s in the rear, I would!
But from running lr h 245s on the front, I've had 10-11k on front axle with no issues. Assuming at max psi of iirc 120 lbs. No real sidewall squat etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer