cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subaru Outback experiences

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for folks who tow their lightweight camper with a Subaru Outback to share their experiences - what has gone well, what did you learn - did you wire your own 7-pin plug, install aux. tranny cooler, etc.

This question is for those with experience towing with Outbacks to chime in.

Please... please...

I realize that the American mentality for towing is that you have to have an SUV or a truck. but realize what I am asking:
I am not asking if you think towing with an Outback is a good idea. Esp. if you have a Ram 3500 in your signature line.
I'm not asking you to tell me what I cannot tow with an Outback, I have read the tow limits.

2700 pounds tow capacity
200 pound hitch carrying weight limit.

Subaru Outbacks are widely used as tow vehicles in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, where most campers tow with cars, not trucks. It can be done, I'm very curious to hear from folks who have or are using them.

Thanks!
popups sold. searching for my next camper
40 REPLIES 40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
I have a Subaru. I love it! It's my wife's car, it has 330whp and almost 400 at the crank. It runs 12 in the quarter mile. It's an epic grocery getter.
That being said, I'm a male, so I own a ram 3500. I tow as fast as I want, I tow safely, and I do work with it. Please don't clog up the roads, waste other people's time, and more importantly put people in danger by towing with it.

I'm sure this isn't the OPs intention for input, but lol, love the post!
My turn.....

Wife has a car, it has 425 hp at the crank. Will do 140mph at the end of a freeway on ramp. It's an epic grocery getter/mommy missle. I would never consider towing with it.
That being said, I am a male, so I own a ram 2500. I tow as fast as I want, I tow safely and I do work with it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
I have a Subaru. I love it! It's my wife's car, it has 330whp and almost 400 at the crank. It runs 12 in the quarter mile. It's an epic grocery getter.

And that is not an OEM Subaru either. 😉

But you're right, they are a very fun and nice grocery getter. They do well at altitude too.
I love me some land yachting

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Acceleration is about the same <2500rpm. They are both quite good for slightly spirited driving. The H6 keeps pulling to 6000rpm. The Diesel upshifts closer to 3500rpm and pulls again. 650 mile tank range vs. 350 mile. 😞
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I have a 2017 Outback 3.6L. I am getting a receiver this week to tow my 1000 pound empty utility trailer. I am not sure I would tow anything high walled, but I expect it to do well with a popup.

How do you find the performance of the Subaru 3.6 liter flat six to your VW Passat turbo diesel ?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Outback 3.6L. I am getting a receiver this week to tow my 1000 pound empty utility trailer. I am not sure I would tow anything high walled, but I expect it to do well with a popup.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Skinny pedal! OP you could get a harbor frieght utility trailer and put a Colman tent on it. You would be legal and safe to tow that.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
....and here is what became of the gear box casing of a 550hp Subaru at an Isle of Mann race....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Still haven't heard what year Outback the OP has? Or what motor they have! That would be a big help!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
We never did get a Subaru, but I do admit checking these nifty AWD wagons out a few times at the dealer. My favourite is the Outback, with the optional 3.6 liter flat six cylinder engine.

Reason we never did get one, is that the seating is too crowded for me. I'm 6'3" plus and around 240 lbs, with long legs and wide shoulders. As with many different vehicles, my head hits the roof, my shoulders hit the side windows and/or side pillar and there isn't enough room for me to stretch out my legs. I have what I call a 'hockey knee' from playing a decade of hockey (defense) and if I can't stretch out my legs, my knees hurt like the devil...as my dear old dad would say.

Other than that nice car, like the wagon style and the AWD...also the 256 hp and good torque of the optional flat six. I just wish Subaru and other makes would make their cabins bigger to fit large people like me. 🙂

Sounds like you need a Ford Flex:)

Large, roomy, AWD wagon with the 3.5l V6 and optional turbos good for 365 hp.

We looked at both the Ford Flex and Ford Explorer with the 3.5 non turbo V6. I think the optional turbo 3.5 is the one to go with. Both these vehicles are a bit on the heavy side and need the extra punch. However... the Ford Explorer was very close to being our choice.

I think the Ford Explorer SUV is by far the best looking SUV in it's class and it's very comfortable. I like it very much.

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I do have a Subaru. 2012 3.6R Outback.

I tow a 2200 lb utility trailer and even did Monarch Pass in Colorado. They do not come much more difficult than that for a major highway. There were no problems with power. Pulled the pass at the posted speed limits.

I do have electric brakes on the trailer as you should have when towing with a car regardless of the make.

I installed my own 7 way connector and am using the factory hitch and a Prodigy brake controller.

I did install an auxillary transmission cooler for the 5EAT transmission.

I have a s
ScanGauge II that I use to watch my engine temperatures and transmission temperatures. Also watch the same temperatures with my diesel pickup when towing.

THANK YOU! This is a great post.

I did get the factory install hitch, but I was wondering where to install the 7-pin. I love how you did it. I have owned two Prodigy's prior.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
That being said, I'm a male, so I own a ram 3500. I tow as fast as I want, I tow safely, and I do work with it. Please don't clog up the roads, waste other people's time, and more importantly put people in danger by towing with it.

easy Enis Del Mar - we get it.

you're a guy.

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
I have neither an F350/Ram 3500 nor a a Subaru. But then the OP hasn't asked about towing a 10,000 pound trailer, now has he?

To the OP, I would only say be aware that wind resistance will likely be more limiting than weight. For that reason alone, you'll be best served by some sort of pop up. A full-height/width TT no matter how little it weighs will suck up so much power you won't like towing it.

good point - I will say I have towed 2 popups up to 5000 miles round trip, I always appreciated not having to deal with the wind.

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Trailblazer87 wrote:
Stumps, you may want to check out the T@b Lin of trailers, they are teardrops but quite comfortable for what they are. I could pull one with my Jeep CJ 7 if needed. They also fall inline with the all wheel drive persona of the Subaru.

Depending on the transmission you have you may want to look into a tranny cooler. If it's the CVT transmission I'm not too familiar with them and their needs for towing.

For having such a light tow vehicle I would look at something with brakes on it, otherwise stopping could be iffy. This would require a 7 pin plug being wired in and brake controller.

Yes, Yes and Yes.

T@bs are in the running
I always put an aux. tranny cooler on my TV's
and always use electric brakes

but all good suggestions, thanks!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I have neither an F350/Ram 3500 nor a a Subaru. But then the OP hasn't asked about towing a 10,000 pound trailer, now has he?

To the OP, I would only say be aware that wind resistance will likely be more limiting than weight. For that reason alone, you'll be best served by some sort of pop up. A full-height/width TT no matter how little it weighs will suck up so much power you won't like towing it.