Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suburban furnace

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

My Suburban furnace doesn't work anymore. There is no sound whatsoever when I cycle it with the thermostat. It happened since I had both LP cylinders empty, but I don't think it has something to do with that. All other LP stuff works, btw.

I don't know the type# for the furnace.

Does anyone know what to do? How can the furnace be removed from under the dinette? It doesn't seem bolted or screwed onto the floor?!

Thanks,
Mark
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel (DRW Crew cab Long bed)
Sonnax TQ and Sonnax 4R100 rebuild - 6.0 transmission cooler and OTW cooler.

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar
10 REPLIES 10

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your second photo looks like the one on page 9.
Screws need to be removed to remove cover.
Suburban manual
I do not see a circuit breaker in these drawings or parts list, though.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
No, that is a service switch. (...) The circuit breaker is normally between the time delay and the motor on one of the motor leads. It is normally about one inch square(25.4 MM) and 1/2 inch thick(12.7 MM).

I found something like described. Had to feel inside a hole in the cover to find it. Before touching it, it had a small pin sticking out. As soon as I touched it, the pin retracted and tried the furnace again. This time I cycled the furnace several times and this time it keeps on working on every test, so it does seem to be fixed this time.

About the type#: I don't find it anywhere on the furnace cover and I don't find a serial number either... :h and I still don't have a clue on how to remove the furnace from its place where it's installed. No screws or bolts??? I only found 2 screws on the front square metal plate, but that doesn't seem to hold the complete cover in place?!

No screws holding the furnace in place:

The only 2 screws I found on and around the furnace: (frontside view)

Top hole: service switch inside, bottom hole: reset button inside:

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
Problem not solved. 😞

I'll have another look tomorrow.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some models of Suburban, the whole end of the furnace housing comes off exposing the components.
Need model number!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mark,

good that the problem cleared itself up.

Check here for the service manual: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

I had a digital thermostat go bad a while ago (relay problem). It indicated it would cycle the heat when in fact it did not. There are just 2 wires going to the thermostat. When you connect them, the furnace should start blowing air immediately.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have to be opened for that? I don't know how to remove the furnace. I don't see anything and didn't see that rocker switch either. Had to feel inside a hole on the side to find it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, that is a service switch. It could have corroded contacts. This could be your problem.
The circuit breaker is normally between the time delay and the motor on one of the motor leads. It is normally about one inch square(25.4 MM) and 1/2 inch thick(12.7 MM).

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
I found a small rocker switch, which I turned off and on again. Is this the reset button you were talking about? Anyway, the furnace works again.

🙂

Thanks for your help!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look on furnace for a small circuit breaker. It should have a red or white reset button. Depends on model.
Remove cover from the thermosat. There is normally two wires on a basic thermostat. Connect the two wires together. The furnace fan if it has power should start immediately. It then should produce heat until the iwres are separateed and then go into cool down and shut itself off. If this happens, the thermostat is bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
And the fuse is ok. Forgot to mention this.