cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspension upgrade help.

MT_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have timbrens on my 2017 F250 and looking at adding torklift stable load suspension stablizers. I would like to hear from truck camper owners if this combination works together and thier thoughts.
MT Camper
20 REPLIES 20

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 3 F250's, 8' bed and super cab, since 1990, all with the factory camper package, and have never felt out of control or that the suspension was inadequate for our 2 TC'S. In our latest 2012 truck and camper, we installed 2 air bags, to bring the ride height up and to keep the headlights pointing in the right direction. We have a 10' aluminum camper weighing about 2,100 empty and 2,600 loaded, and pull a small boat about a 1/3 of the time. I would recommend a Ford 3/4 ton to anyone with a similar load. The ride on the air bags is as stable as the overload springs, and is a lot smoother over bumps. The new Bilsteins, which we put on last year, have no difference in the bounce control, over the factory shocks. I would not refuse a F350 if the money was the same, but..........as long as you are not going off road, or taking curves too fast, a properly equipped F250 is fine for the lighter campers.

Bedlam
You can adjust the gap between the Timbren and axle when unloaded. Putting it closer to the axle will produce less sag at cost of a harsher unloaded ride on rough pavement - When the axle articulates it may bounce off the Timbren stops. You can also buy different rated Timbrens that are more or less dense based on the payload you plan to carry.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
They'll work fine. Stableloads will stiffen up the springs and the Timbrens will hit at the same squish unless you re adjust them.
Fwiw, you can make homemade stable loads out of many things. I used plastic felling wedges. Fords are easy since you can just put wedges in and run a screw thru the hole in the spring.
-----Could you elaborate on adjusting Timbrens ?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

That said, 110psi is taking ALL the weight of the camper and the truck is likely not using much of its own spring capacity to support the load.

When I had airbags, I think I measured/calculated the area of the top of each bag at 25 square inches. Mine were rated at a max of 100 psi. So 25 X 100 = 2,500 lbs for each bag and 5,000 lbs for both bags.

So 110 psi in my bags (Redline may be similar) would be 5,500 lbs of force supported by the bags. Yes, that would be just about the total weight (maybe more) of the camper.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Fwiw, you can make homemade stable loads out of many things. I used plastic felling wedges. Fords are easy since you can just put wedges in and run a screw thru the hole in the spring.

I like that idea. Thanks!
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cartmancartman wrote:
I have a Host Mamoth on ram 3500 with wood wedges and Redline airbags (7500LB 150PSI AIR BAGS). I like this setup, I like aibags to raise and lower the rear, it drove fine 1000 miles. It is a big rough when empty, but drove great with camper on it. I am going to remove the wedges and load the camper and see how it handles. I had no isses loading a 5k camper with these airbags and the wedges, handling was great when loaded up to 110 psi. Many swear by only having torklift stableload, they might be correct. Will update later.

If it took 110psi to โ€œhandle โ€œ the load with the wedges (same effect as stable loads) then it will take more without the wedges.
The wedges arenโ€™t adding additional load capability theyโ€™re just engaging the lower overloads sooner and provide better stability at less sag.
That said, 110psi is taking ALL the weight of the camper and the truck is likely not using much of its own spring capacity to support the load.
I suspect too much air. Is the truck riding at unloaded ride height or does 110psi let the truck settle into the springs a few inches?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
The Nitto's are rated at 4080 lbs

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Host Mamoth on ram 3500 with wood wedges and Redline airbags (7500LB 150PSI AIR BAGS). I like this setup, I like aibags to raise and lower the rear, it drove fine 1000 miles. It is a big rough when empty, but drove great with camper on it. I am going to remove the wedges and load the camper and see how it handles. I had no isses loading a 5k camper with these airbags and the wedges, handling was great when loaded up to 110 psi. Many swear by only having torklift stableload, they might be correct. Will update later.

Flyfisher86
Explorer
Explorer
I have timbrens which I love because they take a lot of the side to side sway out, the only problem they carry the load,the overload springs are out of play adding the upper stable loads put the springs back into play handling is even more improved.
2015 Ram 3500 CC Cab&chassis Eby Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CDSE 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
stufarmer wrote:
I have a 17' F350 4x4, CC, LWB, SRW. I'm using Lower Stableloads, Air Lift 5000 bags and Nitto G2 295/65/20 tires. As is, this truck handle our 18' Lance 975 every bit as good as our old 16' F350 Dually and 17' Lance 1172 did. The new Ford Super Duty's are amazing trucks.

What's the tire capacity per tire for those Nitto G2 295/65/20?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 17' F350 4x4, CC, LWB, SRW. I'm using Lower Stableloads, Air Lift 5000 bags and Nitto G2 295/65/20 tires. As is, this truck handle our 18' Lance 975 every bit as good as our old 16' F350 Dually and 17' Lance 1172 did. The new Ford Super Duty's are amazing trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They'll work fine. Stableloads will stiffen up the springs and the Timbrens will hit at the same squish unless you re adjust them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little bit different configuration on mine than the OP asked about but it works extremely well with my 2017 F350 and Northern Lite 8.11.

I have the upper stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags and my truck also has the camper package which means essentially on my one ton that it has the rear sway bar. I typically run my airbags at 45 lbs with the camper loaded and ready for travel. I do have the onboard compressor with WirelessAir remote so I can put different pressures on each side if needed but so far I have been able to keep both sides at 45 lbs and the camper is stable and level.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
I have upper and lower stabilloads and AirLift bags on F350 SRW. The stable loads reduced sway and the air bags bring it back if pumped up high. I think I need a hefty anti sway bar in back and different shocks which also may help reduce front to back rocking
Doug