cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sway bars

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my TC and am looking at a 19ft TT. I have a 2009 GMC 2500 HD to tow with. I am not as strong as I used to be and would need some easy to use sway bars. Any suggestions.
26 REPLIES 26

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you for you input. I decided that I did not know enough about the different use of the bars talked about on here, so did the reading/research to learn the difference. Now I will at least know what I am talking about when I go to buy.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Ya probably do not need sway bars for a trailer that small , I pull a 21 foot with a Ram 2500 , no sway or sway bars .

Ditto.

I tow several trailers in the 18-20 foot range and have never seen the need to use sway bars. I've been in some nasty conditions and a trailer that short with a full size truck has never given me any issues
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Silvergray49 wrote:
Thank you for your answers. I am looking at a Micro Minnie 1808FBS with one slide out. I like that it has duel axels.

You have a 2500hd. No need for, presume you were asking about sway control and a wdh, that stuff with such a small trailer behind that truck. Save your back and your money.
If the trailer wiggles, adjust load to get more weight on the tongue. A little trialer wonโ€™t ever overload the tongue to require a wdh.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dodge Guy, I like the idea of a simple add on sway bar.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
I doubt youโ€™ll even need a WD hitch with a small 18ft trailer!

Silvergray, I never really figured out what you were asking about. There are two, actually three, choices here and as people post it gets confusing.

1. A weight distributing hitch. I might agree that with you proposed set up this might not be needed.

2. A simple add on sway bar. They are very light and easy to add I understand. This might be the way to go.

3. A combined weight distributing and sway controlled hitch which most of us are using. Depending on the type/brand the "bars" can be quite heavy to move around not to mention the very heavy hitch head.

It is my belief that everyone should have some sort of sway control. If you have a big strong truck you might not have to have WD but sway can happen to any on the ball trailer. It is more a function of the trailer than it is the truck. Give that some thought.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering only if the winner buys the loser a beer.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt youโ€™ll even need a WD hitch with a small 18ft trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note to Silvergray49 , You hitch up your Mini to your GMC and I will hitch my Mini to my Ram and we will race to see who gets half way first . If you get there first make a big X in the dirt , if I get there first I will rub it out ! Wow , North Cali to North Florida .

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Sway bar attaches in 30 seconds with minimal effort, as easy as could be
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderingbobโ€ฆ.I will put my GMC up against your Dodge anytime. But I love my truck she has taken me across this country several times. Thanks for the reply about towing the mini.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
doughboy wrote:
what do you call this????

https://www.equalizerhitch.com

That's an Equal-i-zer WD hitch which offers 4-point sway control once the weight distribution spring bars are engaged, item #23 in the parts diagram & parts list. There is no separate sway control as it is simply a function of the design of the Equal-i-zer as a weight distribution system.

Equal-i-zer Installation Manual
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will not need them for a 3/4 ton truck , I pull a Micro-mini with my Ram 250 and do not even know the Mini is there . Of course you are driving a Chevy , that might make a difference !

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Andersen Hitch. Very easy to hook up. Really perfect for that size trailer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
what do you call this????

https://www.equalizerhitch.com

With the Equal-i-zerโ€™s Integrated 4 Point Sway Controlโ„ข you can relax knowing the most advanced towing technology is keeping you safe.

Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in