cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to a TT

GoFish
Explorer
Explorer
After 14 years with the pickup camper we have decided to switch to a travel trailer. We would like to find a lightly used 2000-2010ish, 20-22 foot four season, water tight travel trailer. We live in the Pacific Northwest and rain is common, so a unit that will shed water as well as our Northern Lite fiberglass camper did is important. We are seeking any suggestions from experienced travel trailer owners for brand names to consider. Oh, and a full sized queen bed is the smallest we can get by with.

As always, thanks for taking your time to reply.

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison
Torklift Super hitch and tie downs, Rancho 9000's
10 REPLIES 10

GoFish
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am not familiar with some of the brands mentioned, but will look into them. We don’t plan on doing much boondocking any more. We did lots with the camper and kind of got it out of our system. We see using the trailer as a “home base” to be easily left at the campground while exploring nearby, something we didn’t do very much when we were hauling the camper.
We sleep on a king sized bed at home and really appreciate our space, thus the queen bed requirement. If we could find a trailer with a king bed, that would be ideal.
I think we would do more winter camping if we could find a well insulated unit. I hope we are not setting our sights too high.

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison
Torklift Super hitch and tie downs, Rancho 9000's

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do much boondocking, look carefully at the Outdoor units made in LaGrange -- they have extra beefy chassis and suspensions. There are boondocking-specific videos on the manufacturer's website.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, floor plan remains when all else is forgotten or accepted.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
We liked the looks and workmanship of the Bigfoot

I have thought these look like well made trailers and would seriously consider one if I ever let go of my current trailer. Also like the Canadian Escape.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ETI (Escape Trailer Industries) in BC CA makes a 21'. But if you find a used one, you have to jump on it quickly because they sell fast.

Come to think of it, the 21' bed is only 54"x80". The 19' has a rear crosswise 60"x80" bed.

Outdoors RV is supposed to make some good units.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I know my 2004 Arctic Fox had furnace heated tanks and dump valves. The only thing it lacked was thermal pain windows. The Nash folks have been making four season units for many years
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

In general, "eggshell" (2 piece fiberglass) have less leaks than TT with rubber roofs. One piece aluminum roof is also very good, but not very common.

Few (if any) RVs are "true" 4 season. Heat holding and fresh water tanks are a "band aid". They really need to be in a "basement", but I don't know of any RVs that are built that way. If I was going to be camping in below freezing weather for longer than 1 night, I would want an RV with at least 2" of solid foam in the floor and walls and 4" in the ceiling AND double glazed thermal pane windows.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would start by looking at Nash / Northwood RVs built there in Oregon. You can go visit the factory.

Web site for Northwood owners.

They allow owners to buy and sell units on there also.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are in Oregon you may want to consider an Outdoors RV trailer which are made in La Grande, OR. We have had our Creekside 20FQ for four camping seasons and have really enjoyed it. I had to replace the water pump this year, but otherwise it has been very reliable. It does have a short queen bed which may not work for you.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch