cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Take the trailer in or just take the wheels??

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
Getting new tires installed...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to take just the wheels in and have the tires installed...or am I committed to taking the whole trailer? I don't need them balanced as no one rides in the trailer while towing. Just curious.

Thanks!
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
2005 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L SuperDuty
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)
16 REPLIES 16

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take just the wheels. I bring my own snap in high pressure valve stems. If you balance make sure it is lug centric or take a pass. I prefer to use my own torque wrench on the lugs.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take it to a shop that knows how to lift a trailer and has the right type of hoist. By taking it in, it gives you the opportunity to inspect things like the bushings in your springs and equalizer since the weight is off the suspension. Ours were worn out in only 2 months.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
take the tires in, have balenced, and then You can tighten the lug nuts so you could get a flat off if you had to .most shops put the nuts on so dam tight Hercules has trouble getting them loose
This is why I carry a battery powered impact wrench.I put mine on anyway with a torque wrench.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I took just the wheels in. I used 4 jack stands for the TT. There is not much space at most tire stores to maneuver 50' of truck/trailer and I'd rather jack it up then them who are mostly familiar with cars.

Get the tires balanced. The vibration can cause uneven tire wear, prematurely, not just vibration.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Getting new tires installed...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to take just the wheels in and have the tires installed...or am I committed to taking the whole trailer? I don't need them balanced as no one rides in the trailer while towing. Just curious.

Save your time, energy and potential frustration---------take your trailer to your local Les Shwab tire shop. They can change and balance your tires, replace your air stems with metal stems, repack your bearings, check your trailer brakes but more importantly, your hands won't even get dirty:):):) Such a deal!!!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take the tires in, have balenced, and then You can tighten the lug nuts so you could get a flat off if you had to .most shops put the nuts on so dam tight Hercules has trouble getting them loose

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I take the TT to Americas Tire and they make me apt for before they open. I stay near my TT and make sure they jack it up in the right place and also make sure the tires are less than 6 months old, plus always balanced. They mount and balance the day before so I am in and out in 30 min
samsontdog:o:W

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Balance the tires. I have taken the wheels off and carried them to the tire store. For me that works very well; however, be sure you have enough jack stands to safely secure the trailer with the wheels off. If you are going a size bigger then take the trailer in so they can measure the new size and be sure it will fit in the wheel well.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I take the trailer in. I would recommend balancing the tires
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this and ended up taking the whole trailer in cause it wasn't too far. Just make sure the shop has room for you to manouver around.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Paul_G_
Explorer
Explorer
If you take it in, pay special attention to how they jack it up. I brought mine in last week and the guy was going to jack it up under the axle about 1 foot or so away from the spring block. Good thing I was there an noticed this, I told him he would likely bend the axle if he did it his way. His response was, I always jack it there, I told him not on mine. I told him the owners manual says under the spring block, he'd never heard of this but complied with my request. Come to find out he had just bought a new travel trailer and was thanking me for the information. His approach to jacking kind of surprised me as he has worked at this tire shop for several years. Just wonder how many axles he has bent over that period of time.

Paul...

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it both ways. I've always had the tires balanced.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No you may not need to balance the tires, But I do. The TT shakes enough any way, without adding the shake of unbalanced tires. And to be truthful. You can feel the tire shake in the TV. I put new balanced tires on my TT, and could not believe the difference in the ride in the TV.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
There is no wrong way.

I just did this and just took my wheels in because I did not want to haul my trailer 30 miles away to the tire shop. I just did 2 at a time.

I would have took my trailer in if it was right next door.

X2, tire shop on the way to work..
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC