Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC fit on 2022 F350 7.3L gas DRW 4x4 crew cab

Malone
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all-

Ordering above truck (XL with camper and off road packages) and want to be very, very conservative on weight.

Looking at used TCs. Will an older Lance 850 or 835 fit? Also, older Lances of this size appear to have had COG greater than 62” but in 2013 it looks like that decreased to 34”, per the online Lance brochures. Is that correct?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
I asked Lance about the 850 model last year and here is what was said:
thank you for your inquiry. Older 850 models were designed for long bed trucks, it was in 2019 that it was modified for long and short bed trucks."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
There is no law against violating the tried and true rule..."Buy or select the camper first, then match an adequate truck to your camper." But do so at your peril.

I think the OP already did that. He's looking for a lance 835 or 850. The 850 being the heavier of the two, shows a "wet" weight of 2835lbs. Any 2022 F350 is going to be more than adequate ratings wise for such a camper plus a lot more.

https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/850/specs/

No, you can’t say “any”, lol, or some try hard will come along and post up the special 9900 and 10000 lb F350 gvw packages and then argue the finer points of how if you’re not the engineer who designed it, how can you possibly say it’s safe when even the mfg says it’s overloaded!! LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
There is no law against violating the tried and true rule..."Buy or select the camper first, then match an adequate truck to your camper." But do so at your peril.

I think the OP already did that. He's looking for a lance 835 or 850. The 850 being the heavier of the two, shows a "wet" weight of 2835lbs. Any 2022 F350 is going to be more than adequate ratings wise for such a camper plus a lot more.

https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/850/specs/

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 F350 XLT Crew Cab DRW LONG BED 6.2 liter gasser with a large and heavy 2007 Lance 1181. I don't think there has been any change in the Super Duty model details since 2019. I used horse stall mats cut to fit the entire bed to clear the bed rails and the cabover clearance is just fine. My 2007 Lance brochure simply lists the 835 as a long bed camper with no rear overhang. You will be fine and the dry weight is about 1/2 that of my 1181. You may actually regret not having enough weight in that beast.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Malone wrote:

I would be interested please to hear from any year f350 owners that might have either Lance 850 or Lance 835.

I'm not certain what information this will provide you. First, "any year", trucks can be/are different in bed clear width, height to top of cab, etc. 2017-up trucks are like your new '22.
But what info are you looking for? Just a nice conversation about Fords and Lances?
If you have a question or doubt about it fitting, or ho wit will fit, a tape measure is what you should consult.

Bedlam
In 2005, the end of March was cutoff for custom orders of 2005 models. So this seems pretty close to dates they have used for years considering the current supply chain issues.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Malone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, mkirsch. I just looked back at one of the older Lance brochures and found you are right, Lance was measuring COG from the taillights of the truck. Thanks!

I would be interested please to hear from any year f350 owners that might have either Lance 850 or Lance 835.

Interestingly the Ford dealer told us Ford is already cutting off orders for the 2022s to get ready for 2023 model year.

Thanks!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What he said.
CoG will not be an issue, nor will weight.
Regarding the lesser intricacies of "fitting", like height, I can't help there, don't know.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
As I recall Lance uses/used a very confusing way of measuring COG, measuring FORWARD from "the rear point of contact with the bed" or something to that effect.

Other campers measure COG from the front wall of the camper.

It sounds like Lance may have changed to this more conventional way of measuring. There would have to be an almost impossible shift of weight to account for such a large shift in COG otherwise.

As for fit, the odds of someone having a 2022 F350 and putting a pre-2013 Lance camper on it are slim to none, let alone someone on this forum. Does anyone even have a 2022 F350 yet?

The answer is, it probably will fit, though you might need to add a platform to raise the camper to clear bed rails and/or the cab.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.