cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC with truck bed storage

henrys
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a camper that does not dip into the truck bed area ( which I would like to use for storage). Does such a thing exist? I'm guessing its pretty rare since I can't seem to find one, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

Some background: I need to store large art canvases with oil paint and all the associated chemicals that go along with it in the bed. I've considered a pull behind TT but that would limit the places I can reach. I would also like to retain the hitch receiver so I can put my motorcycle on the back of the truck. I'm not looking to live in the camper full time so maybe a bed mounted tent is what I'm after. I just need it for 1-2 week excursions with room for two. Any advice would be appreciated!
22 REPLIES 22

henrys
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas guys. I think I could make the under-bed and basement storage work. I also like the flat bed idea. The wheels are turning!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Under the TC would make the weight of the TC too high. Add a storage box on the roof for the canvas. You could also add a front hitch and add a small box. Finally, you could use a utility bed, or flatbed with storage instead of a pickup bed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Northstar pop up campers have storage under the mattress.

My Backpack does as well. Whole mattress platform lifts up (has gas struts on it) to access the entire space underneath. It's not large height wise, maybe 6" deep but plenty wide and long.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Reading along with interest. One thing I've seen with newer units is the apparent lack of 'wheelhouse' access doors. My old, sold Lance had access doors on both sides, easy access to the unused space between the bed walls and the camper itself, space I always used to store things like sealed gas containers, my Coleman lantern, chainsaw and other items I didn't want in the backseat of my truck. My new TC, I had to add the doors. Not a big job but something I would have appreciated being there in the first place (but never looked when I bought it.

With any TC, storage space is always at a premium, nature of the beast I guess.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
Better idea: Get a normal truck camper and build a large, flat box under the mattress. Put some handles and air springs on it so it's easier to lift open to put paintings in and out of.

Problem solved. 🙂

Best idea, if you need to carry large wide canvasses flat.
No need to have the paint thinner inside, out that in a smaller storage.
Wouldn't need handles or air anything. Build the platform up a few inches and put a front on it. Could make a large sliding tray on drawer guides if you're handy.
Way better than raising the camper up in the truck bed for numerous and obvious reasons.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar pop up campers have storage under the mattress.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
I'm thinking your best bet is to swap your pickup bed out for a flatbed, which would open up all sorts of possibilities for side box storage, both under and over the bed. Take a look at the photos in this thread:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4x-XPl5...

They are all Flatbeds here. So no problem using a under tray storage box

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
So the camper would sit on the bed rails?

There are campers with very large basements.

That is common here

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
It sounds like he's concerned about having the paints and solvents in his living space. Although it WOULD be easier to keep them from freezing in there than it would in an outer compartment. If that's an issue.

Ahhh. Ok. Well, under mattress box for paintings and regular storage for thinners/voc's. Even the cab of the truck for thinners if they are well sealed.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like he's concerned about having the paints and solvents in his living space. Although it WOULD be easier to keep them from freezing in there than it would in an outer compartment. If that's an issue.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Better idea: Get a normal truck camper and build a large, flat box under the mattress. Put some handles and air springs on it so it's easier to lift open to put paintings in and out of.

Problem solved. 🙂

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking your best bet is to swap your pickup bed out for a flatbed, which would open up all sorts of possibilities for side box storage, both under and over the bed. Take a look at the photos in this thread:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4x-XPl5...

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking inside the box, specifically building a wide "cargo box" that would mount on the roof of a truck cap or TC.

I assume the canvas and paints are not heavy, you can handle the supplies from a ladder, and you do not need to sleep on top of your art supplies.

I could also see a slim side box mounted between the jacks of a TC.

Just thinkin'
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

henrys
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I bought a camper with quite a bit of storage. I also have a crew cab and use the back for storage. If I needed more I guess the next step would be a cargo trailer.

Care to share which TC you have with the large storage capacity?