cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tear in Roof Membrane on Persepective TT

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Older family looking to join me in the TT experience. Looking at a used 2018 TT from local dealer. I did a walk-through with them after they found what they like, and all looks great; however, upon climbing on the roof, I noticed an 8 inch tear in the roof membrane wrapping slightly over edge, but not overly visible from ground level. The plywood is showing, but there is no visible sign of water damage. They had spent hours with the salesman, and he never acknowledged the tear before. When I brought it up, he seemed to want to avoid talking about it. He told them a little caulk will fix it and that it is not big deal. I think it is a big deal, because a friend had a similar tear, and it cost his insurance company $9,000 dollars for a new roof, because the same dealership told him that a patch was only a short term fix. They seem to like this salesman, and definitely like the unit and the price they had negotiated. I wanted them to run. I can't believe there is no law that they need to offer FULL DISCLOSURE, as we know that the people that traded it in took a big hit for that damage on their trade in, but the dealership did not disclose that on a potential sale. This a huge dealership in our area, and I don't like the games they are playing and the lack of interest or concern they bring to this damage on a unit they are willing to pay almost $30,000 for. So, do you stay and accept a patch job or do you RUN. I would run, but just wanted some thoughts!
13 REPLIES 13

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
If it's truly not water damaged, eternbond and dicor but only after knocking $3,000 off

Agreed.

I don't know about the $3000 though but, if the rest of the roof looks good and they really like the TT you should be bale to fix it with some eternbond tape.

Good enough for some years anyway.

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going through this exact same issue now except on a truck camper. The replacement EPDM roof on the camper is going to cost about 8,000 to replace. I'm alright with miles on a used vehicle, but a tear in the roof membrane is enough to walk over unless they will replace the entire roof.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
So what's the update on this - did they get it or pass on it? And your signature says Buffalo NY, right? Hard to imagine it didn't get some water in it in that location!

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but just a little moisture can cause a sidewall of fiberglass to start to delaminate (if it is a fiberglass unit). It might not be apparent right away, but if the glue got wet it will likely release sooner than later, especially with a little sun/heat on it.

(and if you did go the repair route, as many have said already, Eternabond tape and Dicor caulk would be my preferred fix too)
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. This information will be very helpful in the conversation I will be having with them tomorrow. I appreciate the various perspectives.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I agree with SoundGuy. Plus..if the dealer did not disclose a blatant fault like a rip in the roof what else may he be hiding? Trading in a 2018 this soon would also make it suspicious. I would pass. There's enough to fix and repair on these things without starting out with who knows what to fix.

X2 ^^

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with SoundGuy. Plus..if the dealer did not disclose a blatant fault like a rip in the roof what else may he be hiding? Trading in a 2018 this soon would also make it suspicious. I would pass. There's enough to fix and repair on these things without starting out with who knows what to fix.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
With no visible water damage, they're probably OK buying it. A 4" wide Eternabond patch will secure it from water for the life of the RV, properly installed. And they can ask for thousands off.

But, really inspect it carefully for water leakage evidence inside. But even then, if the plywood up top is fine, any lower damage would likely be containable and repairable without much trouble.

Damage isn't always visible, in fact I'd suggest it's more often not visible and the only way to really know is to pull the membrane back for a look. Personally I'd pass, no matter how much the dealer may be willing to discount the price. Believe it, water damage is every trailer's worst enemy. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not use caulk, Eternabond tape would fix it permanently.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
With no visible water damage, they're probably OK buying it. A 4" wide Eternabond patch will secure it from water for the life of the RV, properly installed. And they can ask for thousands off.

But, really inspect it carefully for water leakage evidence inside. But even then, if the plywood up top is fine, any lower damage would likely be containable and repairable without much trouble.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
With an open wound in the membrane, only takes one good rainstorm and it's on it's way...

Of course the drummer forgot about the tear. Was in his best interest not to 'disclose' it.

You would think that if it was a reputable dealer (I haven't found one yet) that they would have patched it and sealed it when it came in... Guess not on all counts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If it's truly not water damaged, eternbond and dicor but only after knocking $3,000 off

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Used 2018 would scare me. But hey, you warned them. It's their money.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd run. You have no idea how long it's been like that and if there is water damage under the sheathing. From one Eagle Scout to another..Don't buy it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB