cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell me about your 2011-16 F250 6.2L

TFin04
Explorer
Explorer
Considering purchasing this generation F250 6.2L with around 100k miles. It will tow our 31' TT (Under 8k loaded), and unfortunately also be my daily driver for hauling two kids and general house duty.

I drive a '15 F150 5.0 now and really enjoy the truck, but it is *right at* my payload capacity and I just want a smoother towing experience with more safety margin. I'm aware an HDPP F150 will give me more payload, but they seem impossible to find.

What do you tow with your 6.2 Ford, and how has your experience been overall?
13 REPLIES 13

TFin04
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, seems everyone is pretty happy with these as a TV. I think we have decided to step into the aluminum body style to more closely match our current F150 which I really enjoy. Will take a bit more to save for it but I think we will be happy longer, especially daily driving in Michigan winters...

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2017 f250 2wd 6.2 3.73 rear end owner here. 37k miles so far. zero issues. started out towing a 7500lb TT, past 2+ years towing a 9500lb lb38ft TT up and down east coast. mountains to the beach. solid truck and dependable. loves gas stations but thats normal. ride is decent for a 3/4 ton truck.

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F250 CC 6.2L 2wd.. We pull a Jayco 27BHS weighting 7500 lbs. We get 8-9 mpg towing and 16 mpg highway running empty. It has been a great truck for a 7500 lb bumper pull. 70,000 on the odo and no problems at all.... Hope this helps...
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GWolfe wrote:
Be sure the front end is in good shape, we've had our 2018 in twice now for the death wobble and we only have 40k on it. I do think the ride is pretty good and other than the death wobble thing it's been a solid truck. Gas mileage isn't great but it is a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine so we weren't expecting much.

Good call. I'll add that solid axle trucks like the Ford and Ram are both susceptible death wobble. However this issue is certainly not prevalent, nor common. Even with higher mile front ends with wear on them.
GWolfe, your issue is not the norm and there's likely some geometry issue specific to your truck. I've had 1 "new" Ford with DW, back in like 2009. Developed it around 10k miles. And countless other new solid axle trucks with no issue, as well as alot of high milers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure the front end is in good shape, we've had our 2018 in twice now for the death wobble and we only have 40k on it. I do think the ride is pretty good and other than the death wobble thing it's been a solid truck. Gas mileage isn't great but it is a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine so we weren't expecting much.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
I agree with the wizard on the ride empty. That thing will beat you up.

I like my 2012. Normally we make at least 1 trip across the Smokies each year. Tow 10K and never get below 8.7 mpg. Crew cab short box, works fine without a slider.

At age 77, I think this one will take me to the end of the road.

I do have the optional 4.30 diffy.

In regards to getting groceries, mine knocks out just at 13.8 mpg.

Guess itโ€™s all relative. Those F250s ride pretty plush for a HD truck. Complete with soft initial spring rate in the rear leafs.
If itโ€™s beating you up, either you need something that rides like a Cadillac or you are running too much air in the tires. (Common mistake).
13-14mpg commuting/combined driving is about right. I used to get 12-13 w/ 3.73s and I drive relatively fast.

TFin04
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

I like my 2012. Normally we make at least 1 trip across the Smokies each year. Tow 10K and never get below 8.7 mpg. Crew cab short box, works fine without a slider.

Thanks all for the input. I am surprised to hear the 4.30 can eek out nearly 14mpg, that's good to hear. Almost all of them I have found are 3.73 and my commute is pretty MPG friendly. If I can manage above 14 that will help with the day to day needs.

Thanks again for your guys' time, I think we will be shopping for one soon.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
F250 will definitely tow better than an F150. The 6.2L and 6R140 transmission have proved very durable.

It will NOT ride as nice empty !

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Had a 2012 and 2015 with the 6.2. I didnโ€™t run them up high miles but they are pretty bulletproof.
No need to worry about good or bad models. Find the best condition one and go for it.
Itโ€™s more about how it was maintained and what repairs it may need coming up.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good read about the trucks:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/927237-ask-the-engineer-for-the-new-6-2l-gas-engine.html

I do not own one, but I have heard nothing but good about them.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2011 ford f-250 with the 6.2 engine and pull a Outdoors RV 18rbs. It weighs around 6500 pounds loaded. The truck does great in the mountains, overall gas mileage is 9 miles per gallon.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015. I pull a 39 ft fifth wheel. But, I only pull 600 miles a year in Michigan. It does fine for me, but if I pulled more,I'd have gone 8 ft box.