Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla camp mode

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Good news for us campers.

This is a software update for existing Tesla models and a definite must for Cybertruck.

The unit will maintain air flow and lights while parked while you are sleeping soundly on the fold down backseats.

Tesla Camp Mode
8 REPLIES 8

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I could have used that camp mode with my SUV while hunting.

Laying flat the back seat makes for a good bed and a good airflow would have made me comfortable in that hot and humid August.

And yes, get a good nap while taking a break from driving. Wait, I can take a nap right there while the Cybertruck is running.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
There’s a younger couple that tows their little tear drop to one of the local lake spots with their Tesla model X. Nice little combo. Anyway, it’s essentially dry camping so the little 5 k AC can’t be used. They bought one of those Tesla beds for the X. On hot nights they sleep in the Tesla with camp mode on and use the little winniedrop as a kitchen and bathroom. Kinda cool...literally. :).

When our Motorhome days are over in 3 or 4 years we are thinking about going their route but with a cybertruck instead of a model X. Small teardrop with a bathroom. Something easy to get into the local lakes. Should be fun.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
That's great. With my generator humming I may even be able to get the battery charged up enough to drive back home when we're done camping. Hauling fuel and a generator along to charge my electric truck seems to somewhat defeat the purpose, though.

No, silly. Can you imagine a Tesla rolling down the highway with a Honda 2k and a jerry can of unleaded strapped to a hitch rack off the back bumper?
No self respecting leaf lickin, tree huggin, courderoy wearing, liberal environmentalist would be caught dead like that.
The camp mode is for when you’re camped out at the charging station napping before the next 150mi leg of your journey to your next campsite, I mean charging station.
Not like you can plug these things into trees ya know!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Is the door on the left rear quarter panel where you connect the charger? What do you have to do to open it? Unbolt the fender flare LOL.

And who is eating the turnips laying on the counter? Where are the burners on the camp stove? Must be induction.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
That's great. With my generator humming I may even be able to get the battery charged up enough to drive back home when we're done camping. Hauling fuel and a generator along to charge my electric truck seems to somewhat defeat the purpose, though.

LOL!! Yeah, I hope you are not pulling a camper any further than 50 miles because TFL, Engineering Explained, and a few other sites have already proven that it will not tow much further than that. Heck, even the Tesla owners have stated the same.

The Tesla car is not bad as a work and back vehicle if you got the coin for a $39k car. Although you would probably spend less in total ownership on a new $20k Civic or Corolla especially since Tesla values drop like a rock after warranty. With current fuel mileage and combined average of 35 mpg, that is only $964 a year with fuel at current prices driving 15k a year. Add in about $50 for annual maintenance and it would take 19 years to get to $39k.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“With my generator humming I may even be able to get the battery charged up enough...”

Highly unlikely.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

Do you have a Tesla? And did this actually happen to you and did this?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB