cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is our RV electric future. It's the future man!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
"It's the future man!!"

I went out and gave my LBZ a hug after watching this video. :B

So can we finally stop with the Semi getting 2 miles/KWH with LI batteries. If these little tiny trucks pulling a little tiny load get right at 1 mile/KWH on flat ground a Semi weighing 80 to 82K does not even have a snows ball chance in hell of getting within the same universe of that.

The ER Lighting gets around 100 miles tow range with a small trailer. About the same as the Rivian.

I can't imagine trying to tow an RV like this. Talk about stress. Ya that's just what I want on my vacation...a ton of stress.

And then having to disconnect your trailer over half the time. What fun!! :R
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
109 REPLIES 109

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
This is why I say drive a Tesla and you won't see a long term future for those companies either. Note its not just Tesla, all the auto makers have committed to electric and have plans to quit producing ICE cars.
All the scuttle butt, debate and chatter we go through proclaiming are ICE vehicles will be around forever may make us feel better. But forever is about 50 years tops. I imagine Kids born today will witness the extinction of ICE vehicles.
Keep in mind the extinction of ICE does not have to be the end of camping and RV'ing. All vehicles as we know them will carry over and transform.
The gloom and doom of 100 mile limitations etc. will not exist.
And that is a VERY BIG bet.

I hear you and agree a lot has to happen, but a lot has already happened over the last 50 years. None of these changes will occurr overnight. The battle over the dollars is bigger than the battle over the technology. Who will win financially in the end is the quesetion.
Right now Elon Musk is the winner,but5 the battle has just begun.
Nevertheless I am not making up these intentions, Car companies have announced they are stopping production of ICE cars.You reported investors are pulling back from fossil fuel companies. Change is underway
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The reason this is such a passionate subject is that we aren't being given a choice. Democracy and free market have been stuffed back in the drawer and this push for EV's is done under the agenda of saving the planet. And it's a lie. EV's aren't green and they aren't going to save the planet. But that rhetoric gets votes and generates revenue - for some. So yeah, it's political. The facts do not support that the EV life cycle will have a positive impact on the planet. In some ways production of EV's is worse than ICE's. They don't perform better than ICE's so what's the upside? Raw materials are finite, continued dependency on foreign nations, ecological impact, continued dependency on fossil fuels, end of lifecycle impacts, etc etc. It's the same problems in a different package. It's a rhetorical question because it doesn't matter. It's been decided for us.

If you really want to save the planet, ditch your vehicles and ride a bike.

And not that it matters but I am pretty liberal in my thinking. I believe in freedom of choice and fair market which used to be closely held democratic concepts. I find this governmental push of EV's down our throats rather hypocritical given recent outrage to the loss of particular freedoms.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pbutler97 wrote:

I assume you like Runaway inflation, gas prices going up again fast, Electric and natural gas bills almost doubling, quickly increasing interest rates, and markets dropping like a rock.

I'm over 70 YO. Over my lifetime I have seen many cycles of what you are witching about. You know what they all had in common? They where all temporary, and all ended without violence.
OTOH, I also remember the turmoil of the '60s when many people work working to change society. Then we often disagreed about ideals and causes, but there was no disagreement about facts.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
We likely disagree on the cause of these issues but IMO this is not the place for it. Seems most forums prohibit politics and religion since they are divisive distractions.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
This is why I say drive a Tesla and you won't see a long term future for those companies either. Note its not just Tesla, all the auto makers have committed to electric and have plans to quit producing ICE cars.
All the scuttle butt, debate and chatter we go through proclaiming are ICE vehicles will be around forever may make us feel better. But forever is about 50 years tops. I imagine Kids born today will witness the extinction of ICE vehicles.
Keep in mind the extinction of ICE does not have to be the end of camping and RV'ing. All vehicles as we know them will carry over and transform.
And that is a VERY BIG bet.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
And what have they DONE? Oil company profits are close to record highs. It doesn't look like anyone is putting them out of business anytime soon.

I pay attention to what is really happening. Not just the headlines.
I subscribe to The Wall street journal and read it daily.
The interesting thing about those record profits is that the stocks are really cheap. That is for a few reasons. Investors do not see a future for those companies. And Biden and a lot of congress want to take those profits away via a "windfall tax" Justified by the fact that they are not investing that money into expanding production!
The oil companies seeing a bleak future are actually acting in a responsible manner by wanting to do share buybacks and/or increase dividends. IOW, returning some of the investors (actually owners) money to them. The govt. wants them to spend that money now on production and let the investors take the loss later when they decide they do not need the oil companies anymore.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Tim Kuniskis, CEO, Dodge Defends Dodge Going Electric - Autoline After Hours

video

blt2ski
HD,
My family is on the green side of things for personal useage etc. BUT even at that, we realize that EV semis will not work for many years, if not a decade or two.
Nuclear was tried, as noted E85, E10...
Asked family why alcohol in fuel was a good thing. Burns cleaner! OK, so I need to go from using 10 gals in my trucks per 100 miles, lose x %mpg. Now use 11 gals of fuel plus agal of alcohol per 100 Mile's. How is that better for air, lowering oil purchase from OPEC etc. Diesel trucks same issue to a degree with biofuels added.
They did do a small turn about.
A majority of us realize as noted by many replys, this EV thing will not occur over night. Just a just as transportation, factory production will not get back to full production after this covid issue. A ressesion may occur, how bad, anybody's guess as to how bad, too many factors involved, .....
I will say, some of the things oil folks do, can be cleaner and better for mother earth. If they want to drill in sensitive environments, they need to be held accountable for damage. That has not occured in the past. Local home builders are held to higher standards on sensitive grounds than oil. Things need to change. They can better environmental stewards.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The battle for renewable and emission free energy initiatives will come down to money. The fossil fuel guys are not going away quietly. There is too much money at stake.
This battle will consist of lots of smear tactics and propaganda.
If just for a moment we assume that all the pipe dreams ideas for emission free vehicles and renewable enery will work.
There will still be a enormous battle for the money.
The battle will be all out corruption and misinformation from both sides.
In the end the winner will be the group that bought/bribed the most politicians.
Which will likely be the group with the most money to sway opinions.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Explorer II
Explorer II
And what have they DONE? Oil company profits are close to record highs. It doesn't look like anyone is putting them out of business anytime soon.

The rest is just pandering for votes.

This EV initiative is an ATTEMPT to reduce oil use for transportation purposes. Not much different from the E85, biofuel and propane initiatives in the past.

We Can Not Eliminate Oil Consumption.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
THIS is what Biden said about oil companies in 2020.

He later clarified his position as
Biden’s campaign pointed us to the policy on Biden’s campaign website of "banning new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters." It says nothing about drilling on private land.

Doing away with oil in the near future would set the world back 150 years without new technologies to replace it. Think of all the products we use every day that are derived from oil.

Think about it people
I listen to what politicians say
I PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY DO!!
For almost 2 years now, the fossil fuels have been under attack. I wonder how many new millionares will be created in congress because of these actions? Ever notice how rare it is fo a rich person to enter politics, and how rare it is for a politician to leave holding a tin cup? Just about all of them become extremely wealthy while in office.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
delete DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
^^^ Well I guess you can't use the excuse of advanced age to explain it.

Age has nothing to do with wisdom.
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty
A optimist sees it as half full
A realist sees the glass as too big.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires