cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttle enhancement

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 GMC 2500HD Duramax and always felt a lag in the throttle and after some research I found that this is common complaint with owners of late model trucks and cars...gas or diesel. The manufacturers do this intentionally to improve MPG ratings but it creates sluggish acceleration. There are a lot of aftermarket companies that make throttle pedal devices that enhances the response so I decided to give it a try. I picked the Pedal Commander and installed it last week in about 5 minutes. This thing made a HUGE difference in the performance of my truck. It's amazing. Simple plug in device at the throttle pedal and has 4 different settings with 8 sensitivity levels for each setting. This is not a tuner and has no effect on emissions, ECM settings, and doesn't boost HP but it feels like 50+HP more! This is not an advertisement and I don't work for any aftermarket company but it was the best $250 I've spent on this truck! I haven't towed with it yet but I'm anxious to try it.
If you're unhappy with the flat spot or lag in acceleration on your late model car or truck, give one of these devices a try. You'll be amazed at the difference.
25 REPLIES 25

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog, thanks for telling me how my car drives. 😉

I should have mentioned in my post that the info was in comparison with the previous 15 toyo.

Anyhoo I will not belabor this issue any farther. :B

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
just sent an email to the company as they do not list E series. Got a reply back that they may be able to help out with this for my rv. Some good videos on you tube on this product!

Anyhow if they can I will post the results here.

Got a message back that it appears they cannot do anything for me, so I guess the search will continue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
Interesting topic. My wife's 19 Toyota highlander has that ailment, she doesn't catch on to it and I ignore it.

If you really got to get going if rolling at say 20 mph, you gotta stand on it some and it will kick down at least two gears and then get it on.:B

Luckily my ole 12 F350 gasser hasn't caught that virus.

That's because it's tuned for economy. It's probably in 4th gear already if you're putzing at 20mph. Cause it has 4-6 more gears to row through after that.
Not an ailment but a good and valid design feature. The polar opposite of that would be a Powerglide. That will solve the kickdown problem about 90% of the time. It just needs a converter as loose as Pamela Anderson's ___ to actually be driven comfortably on the street!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
sema clicky

The wife '16 1500 chevy 355 hp 5.3 6 speed tranny takes a bit of time lag after stomping the go pedal before the rear tires start burning rubber.

Its also noticeable trying to get out in traffic from a stop sign.

I'd say you're splitting hairs now. Having driven the same 2016 5.3 Chevy for 4 years now and about 20 others like it, I don't feel there's ANY dead pedal or lag. Sure it doesn't take off like our SRT8 but its a crew cab truck with 130 less hp and not tuned for the 1/4 mile.

Folks are getting a little off topic and seem to have forgotten how responsive newer vehicles are compared to older efi's and carb systems unless they were tuned perfectly. And how you couldn't just play dumb with throttle input on alot of vehicles and expect the best results either performance wise or transmission behavior.
Part of what people are complaining about now is exactly what they asked for, which is more safety features. Traction control will do multiple things...right away...to keep the vehicle from losing traction. Even with TC off, just a little slide and stability control kicks in, unless you disable the whole system (possible on some vehicles).
Example, driving in the snow is about 100% different in a vehicle with traction control and stability control than one where it does what your right foot tells it to do. Where you're pedaling it on an old vehicle to keeper on the road in snow, if you're trying to go fast with all the nannies hooked up, you need to anticipate that.
If you want to try to slide it around a corner, you have to intentionally speed up, maker slide and have enough momentum that the stab control is keeping you between the lines with enough momentum to actually slide. It's almost fun driving them "differently."

There is a real noticeable delay in some of the newer diesels. With Ram's dead pedal syndrome for several years being probably the most prolific example.
But I have yet to experience anything like that in any of the newer gasser trucks from the big 3, although I haven't driven the latest models, 7.3 ford, 6.6 GM or 6.4 8speed ram although I suspect they are quite responsive.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic. My wife's 19 Toyota highlander has that ailment, she doesn't catch on to it and I ignore it.

If you really got to get going if rolling at say 20 mph, you gotta stand on it some and it will kick down at least two gears and then get it on.:B

Luckily my ole 12 F350 gasser hasn't caught that virus.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While a bit off topic, but pertains to throttle input, on my rocket bike. I have synchronizer hooked up to 4 throttle bodies, while kneeling next to bike. I'm going to resync TB opening, after break-in. I asked wife to twist throttle slightly to 3,000 rpm and hold. Nope, she would turn slightly, instant 6-8K, or more rpm. 🙂 Need 3K exactly, so suggested, use two hands, hold rubber grip against kill switch with thumb, just tickle, not turn throttle. She did it, and I got a perfect sync, so the 4 TBs would pull together. Yup, noticeable difference, right off the line!

Any of you, that have ridden a 1,000cc high HP rocket, knows you best be ready, when grabbing that throttle! There is no lag time!! You could easily lose a passenger, foolish enough to get on, if they are not prepared. I think reason my insurance reads "will not cover passenger".

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
sema clicky

The wife '16 1500 chevy 355 hp 5.3 6 speed tranny takes a bit of time lag after stomping the go pedal before the rear tires start burning rubber.

Its also noticeable trying to get out in traffic from a stop sign.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I posted and asked about a couple of throttle products and the results came back as this is not a known problem! I have an E450 with the v10 and its like everyone else has pointed out. I do know that the one from hypertech does not fit the unit I have. I forget the brand that there is for the other one. If anyone can tell me would appreciate it. It seems that winnebago has a non standard throttle assy and thats why I couldnt find one to work.

I forgot to add I wrote to the guys at MH magazine and they claimed they never heard of or had a problem so they could not provide any insight to help!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hysteresis both by design and the time the computer needs to make up it’s mind on what to do
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I've never thought my Duramax needed any improvement as it's already pretty quick off the line.

Its not just about “off the line”. LML trucks have pretty bad dead pedal in nearly all driving conditions. One of the worst “features” of the truck.

I also run a pedal commander on my 2012. While it does help it doesnt completly get rid of the dead pedal.

I totally agree. Really happy with the truck otherwise, but that dead pedal is so irritating that it blemishes the entire driving experience.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I've never thought my Duramax needed any improvement as it's already pretty quick off the line.

Its not just about “off the line”. LML trucks have pretty bad dead pedal in nearly all driving conditions. One of the worst “features” of the truck.

I also run a pedal commander on my 2012. While it does help it doesnt completly get rid of the dead pedal.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
It certainly is in the '18 duramax. My 20 does not have it.

I've read that the '20 is not torque limited.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
It certainly is in the '18 duramax. My 20 does not have it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1