cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens,airbags!

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what would work best for leveling the truck. It’s not bad but I do have vehicles flashing their lights at me at night. Put a set of stableloads on truck but that didn’t seem to help...leaning toward airbags.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)
20 REPLIES 20

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 2006 F350 DRW
I got rid of the air bags, I hated them, they did nothing for sway and seemed to make the truck mushy. Made the move to Timbrens, Really made a difference and I like them, no airing up no thinking about if they leak. When its empty rides on the stock springs.

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
Another option I run across today is https://activesuspension.com/suspension-kits/
What do you think?
Bill

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Highway Runner wrote:
The trucking industry uses airbags. I think there is wisdom in following that lead.

Not even close to being the same thing. However the bounce you see will be the same. Watch a semi trailer as it bounces up and down while going down the highway, who want's that?

You could not be more wrong with that statement! that truck you seen “Bouncing up and down” was not maintained properly, everyone knows that your shocks will stop that. I have been driving trucks for 46 years, the best suspension on the road is air ride! How much money do you want to spend and how long do you plan on keeping your truck? Go to Kelderman air ride systems and check out their website. I installed the full 4 link system in my Ford with the front air system too. It is truly the best on the road! Rides level when empty or loaded to the max. smooth ride with no bounce. They supply a super duty sway bar that is twice the size of factory so there is no sway at all. With all the money spent on air bag helpers, heavier leafs and shocks, spring stoppers, and all the other “Patches” you could buy a system that works perfect all the way around.
Just saying.
Good Luck
Wes

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Highway Runner wrote:
The trucking industry uses airbags. I think there is wisdom in following that lead.

Not even close to being the same thing. However the bounce you see will be the same. Watch a semi trailer as it bounces up and down while going down the highway, who want's that?
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

brain
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2006 F350 DRW LB, we've used quite a few suspension modifications. Here are my thoughts, FWIW:

With the camper (OK 117DBL), we had Firestone bags installed with camper install IN Sieverville, TN. A bit of roll, but manageable. Truck did sit a bit low in back with camper on. A few short trips things were fine, but after a long trip to AZ, the bags failed (caught the mounting bolts and ruptured due to poor install...).

When I got it home, the RV repair shop recommended a spring shop to look at the issue, and the owner suggested I skip replacement bags and look at "Extreme Service" Timbrens (that was the name then, I assume it's different now). Much less roll, more stability, and we used these until 2016 or so.

Along the same time, I added bigger "bump stops" for the overloads. I think I followed some advice on here and used Energy Suspension blocks, though I know some used hockey pucks or other items. That helped as well.

IN 2008, I added Hellwig overloads (I think, they are a spring with a hump in the middle to mount over the existing spring pack". I removed the Energy Suspension mods and that helped, mainly because the existing spring pack was losing some of it's capability.

We quit using the camper as much in 2011, so the existing solution worked fine until 2016. At that point, the suspension was needing some more drastic attention, and so I swapped out all four points for a Kelderman Air Ride.

I've always wanted an air ride with auto levelers, and I like it for our use, but it's a very expensive option and it's not for the non committed. You literally take all the suspension off your truck and replace, so it's not easily removed. I know many that have a fondness for bags, but even the air ride system has a bit more sway than I would prefer, but the Firestone air bags were even more so, in my opinion.

I did not try the overload helpers like Torklift and others offer, so I can't comment on them, but I think the Timbrens are a awesome investment, because they are easy to add and remove, and they only engage under load. That helped keep the lights where they needed to be at all times.

The Kelderman would probably be on the bottom of my recommendation list, mainly because it's expensive, has more roll than Timbrens or springs, and is probably more prone to issues due to the mechanicals and the air system. That said, it's an impressively cool system, and the auto-leveling system with the rear dump (lower the bed) option provides tons of truck cred :-). Boys and their toys, you know...

Jim

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Highway Runner wrote:

I think you are confusing air suspension in trucks with air bags . Not the same at all .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edd505 wrote:
Fishhunter wrote:
Wondering what would work best for leveling the truck. It’s not bad but I do have vehicles flashing their lights at me at night. Put a set of stableloads on truck but that didn’t seem to help...leaning toward airbags.

Get the headlights aimed, Google how to or go to a shop.

Agreed, don’t use airbags to adjust your headlights. If the truck handles the load well and sits right, then just adjust the headlights. If you need suspension then add suspension.

Also fwiw, you can shim Timbrens up or down to engage at different points. No idea how yours are setup but you may be able to bump them up to engage sooner if that will help you
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Fishhunter wrote:

Get the headlights aimed, Google how to or go to a shop.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I put Firestone air-bags on my 2500 Dodge Ram, LB CC, gas. Worked great. No sway.. even ride. 50# loaded.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bags will certainly level the load. However they introduce a number of handling issues. I’ll never do air bags again for hauling a TC. Much better options available today.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with my air bags. They work just fine to "level" the truck.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
I use air bags...ten pounds when not towing and 55-60 or so when towing.

For your little camper?
Nevermind why you are running air when the truck isn't hauling weight,
but you have a sub 1000lb tongue weight (even if you're not using a wdh) and 55-60 psi will basically put an ad-hoc 3" lift kit in the back.
That much pressure is good for supporting 1500-1600lbs...per side.
How much extra weight are you carrying in the bed. At those pressures, your suspension is good for like 4500lbs of rear axle payload.

Either you mis typed something or your setup is all jacked up, literally and figuratively.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My one experiment with airbags did not go well. Anything above about 20 psi, which barely did anything, gave me a lot of sway. I tried to use them at low pressure for a year or so, then one bag broke and I replaced it. Finally I got rid of both of them and got Supersprings. They worked.

My current truck also gave me a headlights issue. I put on Timbrens and they have helped keep the truck more level. With Covid and crowds in every camping area, I have not gone anywhere since the upgrade, but I think the issue is resolved. If not I will just lower the headlights a tad.