Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to winterize......

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Who's already winterized?!?!

I just ran the glycol through all the water lines and tanks, emptied the camper and setup the space heaters. I try to keep the interior about 15 degrees to cut down on the expanding and contracting. Last year we did 30, and the heater ran way too much.

Also...last year I forgot to run the glycol into the outside shower...and it busted a hose. Which I still haven't fixed.

It was a short season for us, we made our first trip of the year in April I believe. Still over 6 months of the season we spent about 63 days in the camper.

Anyone use a cover for the winter? Last year I just shoveled and swept the snow off....this year I'd like to throw a cover on. It's got to hold up to -20F temps and crazy winds though.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150
27 REPLIES 27

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winterize??? Really??

Too much fun to be had to put the camper away for winter. I full-time in mine the entire ski season, can be 15F below 0 and I can still shower.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is this winterize you all speak of? 😉 I just leave the camper where it's already parked in the heated, insulated shop. The heat runs as needed to keep the whole place about 50.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
As a Californian, when I read about people winterizing their TCs, It kinda reminds my of embalming the TC, pumping fluid through the water system.

I typically dump my gray and black tanks, and put a little antifreeze in to prevent the valves from freezing. Even at that, the TC is ready to go year round.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Winterize? it means throwing the down comforter back in.

lol,

well said Buzzcut1, except we don't hope; we do

Buzzcut1 wrote:
Winterize? Heck I'm hoping to do a lot of this in the coming winter

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
Depressing topic! I just pumped the ole' pink stuff through her veins. Sounds just like I embalmed her (BTW I am talking about the TC here);). Well she's all set except the cover. Can still sleep in it in the driveway, when it get too cold for that, I'll pulled the slides in, pull the batteries and tarp her. I cannot believe it that time again. Man, I am depressed now!
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
trail-explorer wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:

TIme for an extended run fuel tank for your EU2000i

Not sure I need one. I think I ran the generator for less than 3 hours in two days on that trip. TC is well insulated with fiberglass batts in the compartments and closed cell foam over the windows and skylights. The furnace rarely cycles as heat loss is minimal. My two group 31 AGM Batteries seem to handle my power needs with ease
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I ran some anti-freeze through the lines today.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:

TIme for an extended run fuel tank for your EU2000i
Bob

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
Headed tomorrow afternoon for a 3 day weekend to camp at the Boardman RV park and fish the Columbia. Suppose to be in the 70's all weekend with rain and normal NW fall starting Monday. May be the last weekend for camping and fishing for us. We do a lot of camping during fall and winter for weekends at the coast, mountains or just exploring. Hopefully we won't need to winterize for a while.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! It looks like a number of us are folding up and heading home for the season. You will miss out on some of the best places to go and see, during the months between September and May.

As my 6th winter is fast approaching, I have spent many weeks in my camper below 20F weather, with snow and ice and no campgrounds to plug into. Some of those weeks were even below Zero F. With that said, I have never winterised my potable water system in 5 years. With some specific technique and prevention aids in place, I am able to remain with water in the lines/tanks of my Lance 1191.

Happy Camping and Safe Travels!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Winterizing to me is what you do after each camping trip after September or so depending on weather in the Rockies. I do it between 6 and 12 times every year! At least i did until this year. Mine will be full of water all winter this year except perhaps when we are on a few plane trips we'll be taking.

This is the time of year when the campground become empty and often free (like where we are tonight right on a lake after watching a full moon rise above an empty boat dock) the kiddies are in school, the adventurous have everything to themselves, and each trip ends with a 20-30 blow out of the lines. Keep on camping baby!
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I am going on at least 1 more trip before I take it off of the truck for the winter. At that point I drain all of the water, hot water tank, exterior shower, and open all compartments and throw a small space heater in to keep from freezing. I also cover it if I wont be using it for more than a few weeks. I haven't done anti-freeze in years.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

Bedlam
Winterizing for me means pulling out some of the short sleeve shirts and replacing them with flannel long sleeve. It gets plugged into the house if there is a frost or I will blow out the lines and add anti freeze to the traps if it sits for more than two weeks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD