Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Aspect Ratio Question

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,

So I have my new Ram 3500, and it came with Firestone TransForce HT tires, size LT 275 70R18. I'm not loving them, they don't feel as planted as they could be. I'd like to get LT285 70R18s, but I'm not seeing very many examples in this tire size at all.

I'm liking the look of Wrangler Duratracs, but the closest I can find online is LT285 65R18. Load range E.

Would these fit ok? Would the difference of 5 on the aspect ratio (70 vs. 65) be any issue at all?

Thanks!

Kevin
13 REPLIES 13

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Campteacher wrote:
Hello friends,

So I have my new Ram 3500, and it came with Firestone TransForce HT tires, size LT 275 70R18. I'm not loving them, they don't feel as planted as they could be.

Not exactly sure what you mean but it sounds like what you really want is a stiffer sidewall. Look for replacement tires with a higher load rating. Forget the ply and letter ratings for load. Go by the weight rating on the sidewall.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I am running Nitto EXO Grapplers in 285-70-18 if your open to something else. Not a lot of tires in that size, but this my third set of these Nitto's and I really like them. It is my first in this size, the others were 275's.

Guess I should have waited to the end of the thread to rely, I see you ordered the GY's.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys. I think I should just stay with the stock size, I've ordered a new set of Duratracs, load range E

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
You will like the Duratrac if you are hard set on losing the Firestone tires. I had good experiences with the Duratrac on our old RAM 3/4T

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Campteacher wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What air pressures are you running front and rear tires?
Do you change air pressures on rear tires when towing/not towing?

How many miles on current OEM Tires?
They will begin 'feeling' better with more mileage.

I haven't towed anything, as I just got this truck three days ago. I'm in a northern climate, with ice and snow, and the TransForce HTs just don't feel like they are getting a lot of traction.

Your feeling is likely correct--Tire Rack reviewers only give them a 5.4 out of ten for snow traction.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

blt2ski
A 285-65 will be about the same diameter, but wider.
I've had the firestone HT. As you note, not the greatest in adverse conditions. Rain and dry roads, no issues.
I would also give them a few more miles. I would buy another set, even tho a lot of folks don't like. If just doing highway hard surface work, it's not that bad of a tire.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You need to give them some time and run them through a few heat cycles. Run them at the proper pressures for a few weeks with some highway time. New tires always feel squirrelly until they are โ€œseasonedโ€.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like it'd be best just to go with the Duratrac in this size, which is the same as what came with it.

https://www.fountaintire.com/tires/details/All-Weather-Goodyear-Wrangler-DuraTrac-Heavy-Loads-LT275-70R18-312012142

I've always had an AT tire anyway, the Firestones are definitely going.

Kevin

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Hinton. Been there a few times in past life. Personally I would stick with a stock size tire. Changing speedo cwn be a real pain. Dealer can do it, but.....

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
What pressure are you running them at? Also bear in mind that the stock Firestones suck. If you're going to change to another size I would keep an eye on the weight rating so you don't lower your capacity on accident. Also don't forget your spare tire if you change sizes.

Edit - Agree that the traction is awful with the Firestones on snow/ice or offroad. The only good thing I can say about them is they're quiet going down a dry highway.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I haven't towed anything, as I just got this truck three days ago. I'm in a northern climate, with ice and snow, and the TransForce HTs just don't feel like they are getting a lot of traction.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/understanding-a-tires-aspect-ratio/article1373793/

aspect ratio explained.

google has many...