cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire/wheel load capacity upgrade SRW or DRW

sourdoughben
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted upgraded load capacity and flotation. I searched an found little about upgrading my rigs wheels and tires. My 1Ton diesel 4x4 RV weighed in at 11,200 lbs., had duallies and the tires where nearly worn out @ 25,000 miles. I wanted to improve not replace. I looked into 19.5 wheels and tires but IMO that's not the way.
I found these 4,500 lb. load rated wheels... Clicky and these 3,970 lb. Nitto Ridge Grappler 305x65r 18 "F" rated tires.... Clicky
I converted from my 2012 Ram DRW to SRW and have been very happy with the highway and back road manners. 15,000 miles and tires still look new and much better on soft surfaces.
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ticki2 wrote:
With almost 12" wide tires and the SRW tracking the flotation gain in sand will be considerable .

Not compared to 4 aired down dually tires on the back. Extra flotation on the front for sure compared to say 255 max size dually tires if they match the back and no spacers used.
However flotation and truck camper are mutually exclusive for the most part unless your talking beach running on the sand.
Either way drw to srw conversion for heavy hauling like a TC is 99.9% step backwards and really for convienence in daily driving or personal preference.

All that said, the OPs conversion is the best you can do for a srw for load capacity on the rear axle short of 19.5s.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
With almost 12" wide tires and the SRW tracking the flotation gain in sand will be considerable .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
quote:
He did gain a new look and some expensive tires

True!
And from someone too lazy to post a pic on this forum: I sure would like to see a pic of it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Correct, albeit poorly worded to a group that is ultimately concerned with rear axle capacity, including tires/wheels as much or more than most other types of RV haulers.
No, he did not gain capacity over the dually and technically did not gain any flotation or smooth ride off road (standard 17" dually tires can be aired down to ride however the terrain and load dictates). He did gain a new look and some expensive tires and if I had the time I would have helped him with the swap as I'd make my truck a dually for even money if I had the time.
On the flip side, those method NVs are nice wheels!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I think some are missing the point . I believe the OP is trying to up the capacity of the SRW conversion and not go to 19.5 because he wants to run on the soft stuff . Not easy to do because most aftermarket wheels have dismal weight capacity .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You could have left the stock wheels and tires on a dually and had more capacity.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting switch. I like the wheels although you could do it with a SRW, right?

There's probably more than one person who would pay you to trade.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You want to upgrade load capacity on dually that you converted to SRW? :S

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting a set of the 35x12.r18 Toyo Open Country AT F-rated next weekend. Has similar carrying capacity to the Nitto. It'll be nice to be able to fill to 80 psi and have the stouter sidewalls.