cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires - 2013 3500HD Denali

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Need new tires; currently have Michelin LTX at2; I like but thought I would see if anyone has had a good experience with something else.

Truck is mainly used to pull my GVWR 11,000 pound trailer in the mountans. Not a ton of winter driving.

Thanks!
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)
22 REPLIES 22

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Stick with the Michelin MS2's or whatever they call them!. Bridgestone's if you want longer life but not as good of a ride.
. From your tire picture we have the same tires. Drove from AZ to wash st in snow conditions over mountain passed and back for Christmas two times. Very slick driving a 2 wheel drive awesome Chev dually. Never spun a tire so I have a new set on again. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Jimbee wrote:
Funny, just replaced the Michelin LT 265/70R 18E's on my Chevy last week. At 39000 miles they had barely any tread left and were useless in the snow. I put on Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLT's as I had them on another truck and liked them a lot. They have an aggressive tread but are super quiet! They also ride better, must be the rubber is more supple or something but what a difference. I'm good about rotating my tires and keeping an eye on pressure, not sure why mine wore out so quickly.

Keep an eye on tire pressure and rotating them, every set of those coopers I see are scalloped all to heck, not sure if itโ€™s every owner having alignment issues or that they are prone to wearing funny.

I can comment that Iโ€™ve had good luck with both BFG t/a Koโ€™s on my previous truck and even better with my factory Michelin AT2โ€™s on my current truck, theyโ€™ve been wearing fantastic and at 35000kmโ€™s they are at 11/32 all the way around. These are used in the summer only and have approx 25000 of those kmโ€™s that are towing kmโ€™s. They are OK in the mild Offroad or in wet grass but thatโ€™s about it, otherwise they are quiet and smooth. Iโ€™ll probably buy a set again based on my experience.

My wife Explorer sport now has the Defender MS on it as a replacement for the hankooks it came with that wore after barely two summers, they arenโ€™t quite as sporty but they are quiet, smooth, great in the rain and in one summer they only wore 1/32 from the factory 10/32 - perfect for our 50 miles per day commute.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dr. Blake wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I would suggest the same tires as the ones suggested in the other 1,234 tire threads.
Those seem to work best.

I think you're great Grit!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; I am in Canada so sometimes its harder to get options for tires...hence the contribution to the 1,234 other threads.... I guess 1,235 now Grit!

Sorry, you should get Coopers, Toyota, Firstones, Goodyearโ€™s, Nittos, Hankooks, Generals, Pro Comps, Mickeys, Cepeks, Patriots, Buckshots or Swampers.
Just donโ€™t get Michelinโ€™s...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had a set of the DynaPro's, they wear well, but they didn't perform well enough in snow (fine on ice) or off road. But they would be a nice compromise depending on what your needs are.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy runs a Chev 2500 diesel and drives hard. He got 60k out of his Michelin LTX AT2s. Based on his good report I bought these and they have worked well for what I use them for which is pavement and gravel. They are quick to bury themselves in sand. I have read good things about Hancook Dynapro and Toyo.

Suggest you narrow down to a few and then use the search on this forum to pull up posts to give you some insights.

Take it easy,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

blt2ski
ppine wrote:
Unless you corner fast, good truck tires should last 50,000-60,000 miles.

actually, if you do more city driving, ie stop and go, going around ANY corners more than on an interstate or state hwy where the road is more or less straight, You will get less miles from a given set of tires vs the interstate. Even if loaded the same etc. Every time you stop, turn a corner, or start up. You will micro spin or drag etc the tires, hence using them up sooner! Ask me how I know! I rarely get more than 50K out of tires, no matter the brand etc.
Also, if you run full loaded, or above, again, that will use more rubber on top of the local driving some of us..... ok, maybe just me! Do in our rigs.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you corner fast, good truck tires should last 50,000-60,000 miles.

blt2ski
I personally like round ones. Square one do not roll to well.
With that said, tread design per how I expect that vehicle to need and operate in, carries the most weight. Then correct load for task at hand. Finally brand. Michiblows are last on my list. Best overall results have been with Toyo, Cooper, Good Year, Firestone. Least, Michelin! Except in MDT style tires. Then Michelin has some pretty good tires.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I had 3 sets of Michelin MS/2 AT on my last dually. I got 80K out of each set. I have never gotten that kind of mileage out of a tire.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Jimbee wrote:
Funny, just replaced the Michelin LT 265/70R 18E's on my Chevy last week. At 39000 miles they had barely any tread left and were useless in the snow. I put on Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLT's as I had them on another truck and liked them a lot. They have an aggressive tread but are super quiet! They also ride better, must be the rubber is more supple or something but what a difference. I'm good about rotating my tires and keeping an eye on pressure, not sure why mine wore out so quickly.

You think 39,000 miles on a set of truck tires is "quickly"?

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would add that anyone looking at the EXO Grappler, it is a heavy duty tire. Nitto advertises it as such and if you compare the weight of it you will find it is heavier than most.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ksss wrote:
Those MS2's are horrible for Winter driving. Maybe they wear well but if don't perform in "all terrain" then what good are they? I realize that "not a ton of Winter driving" is not very specific, but if it is a possibility I would pull those tires. I just got a 2019 3500 HD with those tires and it is Winter here in Idaho, couldn't get those off fast enough. They were horrible. I put on a set of Nitto EXO Grapplers, pretty aggressive all terrain tire. Great in snow, and ice and off road. This is my 4th set. I have also had good luck with Nitto G2's, less aggressive, less noise but competent in most conditions, has a lot of biting edges which help during the Winter. I have been happy with a set of Cooper SST MAXX, that I have on a DRW.

How many miles are you getting on the Nittos?

45-50K, but I don't run them all the way out. If your not particular about tread you could get more. I had one set go to 55K that still had miles on them but going into Winter I wanted more tread so I got a new set. I am very much OCD about tires, in my view there is nothing more important to staying on the road in the Winter and not having to walkout from BFE Idaho after getting stuck. So I try to find the best tires, and have no problem paying for them to stay fresh. It is not a contest to see how many miles I can get out of them. Performance trumps mileage for me.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I would suggest the same tires as the ones suggested in the other 1,234 tire threads.
Those seem to work best.

I think you're great Grit!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; I am in Canada so sometimes its harder to get options for tires...hence the contribution to the 1,234 other threads.... I guess 1,235 now Grit!
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)