cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires---Ouch

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to buy new tires before the winter weather came around, but the prices were kind of high so I decided to wait...well, prices are higher now and going up! Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear all north of $300/tire with some of the better tires at or a little over $400/tire :E
55 REPLIES 55

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
monkey44 wrote:
BFG Has been our brand consistantly since the 1980's ... We also try to save money when practical, but our lives and those of our kids and grandkids ride on our tires.

Tires, whether on a truck or on a trailer or on a MH, is not the place we'd choose save a buck. Didn't scrimp on MC tires either. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well thereโ€™s scrimping and then thereโ€™s SCRIMPING. Save for some no name chinesium or tiawanesium tires, I strongly question brand loyalty based on the โ€œsafetyโ€ of one brand name tire vs another.
Itโ€™s simple economics. If ANY tire company made a tire that didnโ€™t have an industry standard factor of safety ( which is a very conservative FoS) they would be bankrupt within a year. Doesnโ€™t take many deaths associated with bad tires to make that happen.
Traction, treadwear, even longevity can be improved or debated between mfgs.
But the dramatic โ€œfor the love of the childrenโ€ stuff is subjective, not objective.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
BFG Has been our brand consistantly since the 1980's ... We also try to save money when practical, but our lives and those of our kids and grandkids ride on our tires.

Tires, whether on a truck or on a trailer or on a MH, is not the place we'd choose save a buck. Didn't scrimp on MC tires either. ๐Ÿ™‚

Never scrimped on tires and with way over one million miles under my belt I have had ONE blowout.

One blowout? Didnโ€™t you just start a thread about losing more than one tire just on your trailer in the last year or however long?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:

I was a fan of BFG AT tires and had excellent durability from them until I purchased a set of BFG AT 2 tires. My truck exhibited death wobble 2 times with them and was lucky to get 40k miles out of them. We don't even use them on our farm/ranch trucks anymore. Crazy thing is BFG is owned by Michelin which doesn't make any sense.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:

Never scrimped on tires and with way over one million miles under my belt I have had ONE blowout.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
humblerb wrote:
Just do like I did and get free tires. Had 36,000 miles on my 2018 RAM 2500 and about 4,000 tread left.
Just bought a 2021 RAM 3500.
Tires are like new (5700 miles).
๐Ÿ™‚

There is a reason many (including me) pull the OEM tire off as soon as you get it. They are typically garbage if you do anything off the highway. Even the All Terrain tires typically suck. I have in the past had the new pickup dropped off at the tire shop before I even took possession of it. The only pickup I did not do that with was a 2018 ZR2. Those GY's were good to go from the start.

If you need or want to save money on tires, then take offs work. Personally, I will save money somewhere else.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Just do like I did and get free tires. Had 36,000 miles on my 2018 RAM 2500 and about 4,000 tread left.
Just bought a 2021 RAM 3500.
Tires are like new (5700 miles).
๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

HOWEVER, when there are "no new vehicles to be had" then there are no take-offs to be had.

Also with the "tire shortage" (I'm tired of people crying shortage, by the way) the value of these "take-offs" if you can find them, has increased at least proportionally in relation to the value of tires.

Must be a different market where you're at, or you're just speculating.
Quick CL search by owner in a 250 mile radius, just for Rams, I stopped counting after a dozen different sets of 8 lug complete tire/rim combos from new to "80%". Prices were anywhere from $500 to a few over $1000 if they were brand new and "fancier" black rims or something.

That said, the whole set, tires and rims are more plentiful than just new takeoff tires, IMO.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
blofgren wrote:

What a beautiful shop! Your truck looks really good with those wheels, and carries the camper really well.

Yeah! I second that. Awesome shop, every mans dream!

Thank you, I wish it was mine. I just get to use it whenever I need to work on something.

It has an office (mostly used for a lunch room), laundry facilities, full bathroom with a shower and a fully equipped woodshop.

I do get to store my ATV and a few other things in there. It is really a really nice.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tvov wrote:
"Take-offs"? Are you all talking about almost new tires that have been taken off to put on different tires?

Yes, it's quite common for someone to put custom wheels and tires on a brand new vehicle and roll the cost into the payment. So someone gets stuck with a set of brand new tires and wheels.

HOWEVER, when there are "no new vehicles to be had" then there are no take-offs to be had.

Also with the "tire shortage" (I'm tired of people crying shortage, by the way) the value of these "take-offs" if you can find them, has increased at least proportionally in relation to the value of tires.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
"Take-offs"? Are you all talking about almost new tires that have been taken off to put on different tires?

blofgren wrote:

What a beautiful shop! Your truck looks really good with those wheels, and carries the camper really well.

Yeah! I second that. Awesome shop, every mans dream!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

When I stepped up to 18" wheels I bought like new factory takeoffs.

I didn't shop for tire and wheel combos because I seriously doubted that the Toyo tires I wanted came on a GMC 3500 Denali.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Discount tire quoted me $1,320. Plus tax for 6 Brigstone OEM 17โ€ tires for my F350 DRW.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

When I stepped up to 18" wheels I bought like new factory takeoffs.

I didn't shop for tire and wheel combos because I seriously doubted that the Toyo tires I wanted came on a GMC 3500 Denali.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.