14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
42 REPLIES 42

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $50k out the door on my fully loaded Laramie 2500 CTD. MSRP was almost $65k
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 2016 Titan XD 5.0 SL 4x4 I paid $42k OTD. I could not have picked up a fully loaded one from the Big 3 comparable equipped at the time. They were all $50k+ before TT&L so I believe it. I used the hell out of it before selling it when my employer handed me a $48k Tundra. Titan XD was a far better truck than the Tundra for the money. It worked perfectly for my 8,300 lb fully loaded trailer. Would a 6.7l or 6.6l worked even better? Sure, but I wasn't spending the extra money and similar to demiles I was pushing 21 MPG day to day empty. I also didn't mind the looks.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

js9234
Explorer
Explorer
Very highly doubt that.
demiles wrote:
My 16 has been problem free for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I bought it to work so it’s almost always hauling or towing something and it’s not a daily commuter. The reason I bought it is because it was cheap, 6k less than a big three gasser comparably equipped The 21 mpg highway empty makes me more likely to drive it.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The 5 liter Cummins is used in the Tiffin Breeze Class A Motorhome.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
My 16 has been problem free for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I bought it to work so it’s almost always hauling or towing something and it’s not a daily commuter. The reason I bought it is because it was cheap, 6k less than a big three gasser comparably equipped. The 21 mpg highway empty makes me more likely to drive it.

What was your out the door price before tax and title?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
Our on highway rep from Cummins told me the 5.0 automotive V8 engine was designed for Dodge 1500 series trucks and vans prior to the formation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

From what I heard Dodge/Ram walked out on it when they saw that the fuel economy numbers were not going to be much of an improvement over the more powerful 6.7.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SOOOOO, where will the Cummins land???

Cummins just picked up a new customer for the 6.7 that will probably buy more than replace the loss from the Nissan. I doubt that they were making money on the 5.0 anyway with the low volumes that it had.

The old tractor engine just keeps going

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
My 16 has been problem free for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I bought it to work so it’s almost always hauling or towing something and it’s not a daily commuter. The reason I bought it is because it was cheap, 6k less than a big three gasser comparably equipped. The 21 mpg highway empty makes me more likely to drive it.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Not surprised that the "C" badge on the fender couldn't save this truck... And the Ram Ecodiesel better get their act together or they'll be next.

Link

A lot of mistakes were made both by Nissan and Cummins. Toyota was initially interested in this same motor. They ended that conversation rather quickly after the Nissan release. As others have said, and many forecasted including me that the mileage and capability don't pencil out. If you want to get 16 mpg you can get that in an HD/SD of the big three and have twice the power and capability. No question that is one ugly pickup. The roll out was not exactly problem free on the Cummins side of the equation.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
When they first announced it, I thought it would be about perfect to tow my 8000 lb TT. Then when it came out, it was ugly, expensive, reports of poor gas mileage. Novel idea, but poor execution.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not surprised that the "C" badge on the fender couldn't save this truck... And the Ram Ecodiesel better get their act together or they'll be next.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Cummins may even have an uphill fight in the medium duty arena. I recall reading a fire apparatus manufacturer, was either Pierce or E ONE, is offering the Ford 6.7 L diesel in a custom pumper as an alternative to the Cummins engine options offered. Is the Ford engine less complex or less trouble prone from an emissions standpoint. Cost savings over a comparable displacement Cummins inline 6?

It's Pierce that is using the 6.7 PSD, and it did catch me by surprise a little. The ISB Cummins hasn't been really been used much in fire apparatus in recent years (at least not by Pierce) and time will tell if the 6.7 PSD works out. It may work out well for departments that want a lower cost apparatus in an area where they don't have a lot of hills. To be honest, one of these motors in a municipal fire pumper is a little like putting a Chrysler Pentastar V6 in a Ram 2500. Good power on paper, but way down on torque compared with more conventional offerings.

As far as cost, while I haven't talked to a Pierce engineer in a couple of years, I imagine the Ford package comes "pre-engineered" in terms of transmission (supplied by Ford), and emission systems. Rousch also has a big part of the engineering for that engine application. For any given engine application in fire apparatus, the apparatus manufacturer must do all the applicable engineering to use that motor, which is time consuming and expensive, especially with modern emission systems. Having the package ready to drop in probably saves them a lot of money compared with sourcing the 6.7 ISB from Cummins, mating it to an Allison transmission and engineering an emission system. Again, this is mostly conjecture on my part. Sorry for getting a "little in the weeds". 🙂

No sweat, 32 years of my life was spent in the fire service. Great job and good times. :B

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
thomasmnile wrote:
Cummins may even have an uphill fight in the medium duty arena. I recall reading a fire apparatus manufacturer, was either Pierce or E ONE, is offering the Ford 6.7 L diesel in a custom pumper as an alternative to the Cummins engine options offered. Is the Ford engine less complex or less trouble prone from an emissions standpoint. Cost savings over a comparable displacement Cummins inline 6?

It's Pierce that is using the 6.7 PSD, and it did catch me by surprise a little. The ISB Cummins hasn't been really been used much in fire apparatus in recent years (at least not by Pierce) and time will tell if the 6.7 PSD works out. It may work out well for departments that want a lower cost apparatus in an area where they don't have a lot of hills. To be honest, one of these motors in a municipal fire pumper is a little like putting a Chrysler Pentastar V6 in a Ram 2500. Good power on paper, but way down on torque compared with more conventional offerings.

As far as cost, while I haven't talked to a Pierce engineer in a couple of years, I imagine the Ford package comes "pre-engineered" in terms of transmission (supplied by Ford), and emission systems. Rousch also has a big part of the engineering for that engine application. For any given engine application in fire apparatus, the apparatus manufacturer must do all the applicable engineering to use that motor, which is time consuming and expensive, especially with modern emission systems. Having the package ready to drop in probably saves them a lot of money compared with sourcing the 6.7 ISB from Cummins, mating it to an Allison transmission and engineering an emission system. Again, this is mostly conjecture on my part. Sorry for getting a "little in the weeds". 🙂
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that didnt last long. Wonder what it will mean for resale for current owners.

I still to this day dont get the sub-3/4 ton diesel market. It will always be a niche market
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Shiner, I looked up the application on Pierce's website. The 6.7/Torq-Shift power train combo is apparently available on the Saber chassis which is an entry level custom chassis. The engine is rated for 330 HP, 725 lb/ft of torque. The adaptation was engineered for Pierce by Ford and Roush. What I wonder is the truck is spec'd with a 1500 gpm pump. Wonder how the engine will do running it, believe the pump is single stage.