cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To slide or not to slide. That is the question.

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've have an 8' Lance with no slides, a 9'6" Lance with a dinette slide (usable with the slide in), and a 40' DP with slides (usable with the slide in). I have a Host Everest on order (not usable with slides in).
Obviously, with a MH you want to be able to move around while driving, so it makes sense to get one that's usable with the slides in.
I've seen several people comment that they don't like campers that you need to deploy at least one slide for a quick bathroom stop. Even the big, slow, 36" deep slide on my DP took less than a minute. I feel like it would be a very rare occasion that deploying a single slide (2 in the case of my Everest) would be a hardship for a quick stop.

For those that believe it is a problem, is that your assumption from looking at them, or based on personal experience?
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer
30 REPLIES 30

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I am looking at both, we will be replacing the good old slumberqueen in a year or two and I was plesently surprised how fast the slides in the campers we are looking at actualy move. I am used to the slow lumbering movment of my 5th wheel, where the slide on a few different campers I looked at were like 20 seconds or less to full out and maybe 7 seconds to being enough to get by and into the washroom. so to me it isnt an issue, I would rather have to spend 20 seconds putting out a slide and gain the extra room when you are camping.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I had a non-slide and went to a single slide for more room since I have growing kids with me. When they are out of the picture I will go back to a non-slide.

Just wanted to mention that there ARE slide units that are perfectly usable with the slide in.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
So pretty much we've heard from folks who are either dead-set against slides and would never own one, or are dead-set against non-slide campers and would never own one.

How about someone who is a little more impartial, someone who started out with a non-slide camper and went to a slide and either had a nightmare experience or had their eyes opened to a whole new world of wonderment? Or someone who went the other way, had a slide, had problems, went back to a conventional camper and wouldn't wish a slide on their worst enemy?

Then there are the "but sometimes..." arguments. I mean if you're holding it so long that you're going to explode in 50 seconds on a regular basis, you really should reevaluate your travel habits, and maybe see a doctor.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a solution to the bickering. Instead of being concerned what others decide, discuss how you use your TC and why your preferred configuration works for you.

Maybe I should just give an example. I am a photographer and enjoy exploring scenic areas. I tend to travel a lot. I also live on the East coast and like to visit in the Western States so that adds to the travel. When it comes to the compromises on size, weight, convenience, I have decided to keep the weight down as much as possible. I also like being able to hit a rest stop and use my RV toilet, kitchen and often take a nap. I don't want to take the time to deal with a slide or need to find an oversized parking area. I also do some stealth camping and want to be as inconspicuous as possible.

If you use your TC to be able to tow a boat and stay at a nearby lake for a week or two, I can understand why you might want to maximize comfort and a larger TC with multiple slides might fit your needs.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the difference between 10 seconds to get in the camper and 1 minute is the difference between clean drawers and not clean drawers. Not to mention, without worrying about a slide, I don't have to worry about taking up more than one parking spot to get in. Another reason for no slide is you lose the cabinet space above the dinnette. With us full timing in an 8' TC, every inch of storage is critical. Last reason I don't want a slide is less things to go wrong, less places for a leak to occur. Just don't think the extra space is worth all of the negatives in my book.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting observation. You have effectively purchased about the largest triple slide camper on the market and now questioning whether you want to go with a much smaller unit with no slides?
Or is this just one of those “hypothetical “ questions to tone down anticipated buyers remorse in advance?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:

When we fuel stop, DW goes inside an uses the facilities and gets the snacks and beverages, I use the lav in the camper while the truck is fueling. When the tank is full, we are ready to roll. No room to extend the slides at a fuel island.

ok forget about slides or no slides, what the true question now is, How did you get the wifes toilet breaks syncronized with the gas stops? 🙂
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's all fun and games until at some point, sooner or later, you get done doing your business, hit the button to retract the slide(s), and hear "CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK!" or something equally soul-crushing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Turning a switch for three seconds should not be a factor in anyone's purchase. The weight of one to three slides is a more important issue. You want the space get the slides you don't, don't. Boon dockers are a different breed and are looking at completely different things than the run of the mill Truck Camper who wants to tow a boat/sled/whatever. Also, if your never going to take the camper off the truck why not get a motor home? Motor homes tow extremely well and come in all sizes and are dirt cheap compared to TC'rs.
I have utilized my truck camper with slide combo to the fullest extent. I have towed my small Bayliner "I still regret selling it" thousands of miles. Launched the boat, took the camper off and went for supper. I recommend the slides if this is what your interested in doing. If you want to go to the top of a mountain, I do not recommend the slides. JMHO

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Functionally, it's not an issue to have to deploy one or more slides to use the rig, as you say they only take a minute to roll in or out.
Some folks like to "stealth camp", meaning overnighting various places while looking like you are just parked. Truck stop, etc. Seeing a TC with the slides out is a sure sign somebody's in there. Or maybe you want to stop somewhere for a quick lunch and there is no room to extend the slides.

When we fuel stop, DW goes inside an uses the facilities and gets the snacks and beverages, I use the lav in the camper while the truck is fueling. When the tank is full, we are ready to roll. No room to extend the slides at a fuel island.

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
I actually like reading threads like this because it offers perspectives from both people who have campers with slideouts, and those without.

Being a person who is going to buy a camper when the market calms down from the lunacy of last year, I have been leaning towards a non-slide to keep the weight down and for the ease of use while traveling, etc. I also like that it's a little more stealthy, especially when in a parking space.

That being said, I absolutely love the extra floor space and wide open feeling of, say, the Arctic Fox 990 with a slide. It feels so much bigger and more comfortable to me, and is ideal for spending a lot of time indoors.

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't matter. Just idle curiosity on the actual experiences of others.

Yes. It's great we all have the option to choose for ourselves. Even greater that option is not restricted to which RV we want.

toedtoes wrote:
What does it matter? If you are happy with your slides, then enjoy them. If someone else doesn't like them, then they can enjoy life without them.

Isn't it great we all have the option to choose for ourselves.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
To each his/her own but I never want to open a slide for a potty break or quick lunch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's face it, this question can never be answered because we all use our RVs differently. Some people drive to the local lake, set up camp, drink beer and don't move for a week. I tend to tour and visit a great many scenic areas on each trip. I rarely camp in the same place more than a few days and even then I typically drive at least a few miles every day. Other days it might be a few hundred miles. I tend to travel for many weeks or a few months and average 15,000 miles of driving. I live on the East coast and prefer the Western scenery. Driving a lot means I appreciate a smallish, lighter weight rig. I TC gives me a good compromise. Some people really want their comforts and a great many TCs are really big and really, really heavy. Personally if that is what I wanted, I would switch from a TC to a trailer or 5th wheeler.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just looked at the Host floor plans on the website. It seems like you have to open at least two slides on all of them to use the bathroom. Maybe I'm wrong. But, they are sure are nice when they are all open.

My older Host has two opposing slides, but the wet bath is at the back just inside the door. I and DW can squeeze by the slide to get to the restroom or fridge if needed. It's more common for us to open it all of the way when we stop by the side of the road, but we also can barely open if wanted. Ours is also usable with the slides in. We've sampled like that before in extremely cold weather.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each floor plan. You just have to decide what you want to tradeoff.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member