cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet Shims

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever use residential toilet shims in an RV to fix a rocking toilet? It’s a porcelain toilet in a 3 year old travel trailer. Flange is new and mounted with additional screws into the floor and flange bolts are tight. It just rocked and fearful it will break the flange bolts. Any suggestions welcome.
TIA
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
5 REPLIES 5

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Toilets have two bolts, one on left and one on right. Is it rocking front to back? First thing I would do is pull the toilet up and check to see that the flange is screwed securely to the floor. Should also check to see if there's something going on with the sub-floor itself.

Toilet bolts tighten the bowl to the flange, not to the floor and if the flange isn't tight against the floor, the toilet could move. If it still rocks, I see no reason why you couldn't use toilet shims if the floor or the toilet bottom aren't flat. Note that any time you pull a toilet up you need to replace the foam gasket. Just don't use any type of caulk between toilet and floor.
Is this true???

This is a need to know question as I have just pulled up the toilet to do some plumbing repairs. The foam gasket looks fine and fluffy.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toilets have two bolts, one on left and one on right. Is it rocking front to back? First thing I would do is pull the toilet up and check to see that the flange is screwed securely to the floor. Should also check to see if there's something going on with the sub-floor itself.

Toilet bolts tighten the bowl to the flange, not to the floor and if the flange isn't tight against the floor, the toilet could move. If it still rocks, I see no reason why you couldn't use toilet shims if the floor or the toilet bottom aren't flat. Note that any time you pull a toilet up you need to replace the foam gasket. Just don't use any type of caulk between toilet and floor.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Is the toilet rocking on top of the floor surface, or is the floor itself flexing? Shims will only fix a poor fit to the floor surface, if the floor is weak, then it needs reinforced.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Use 8lb sheet lead.Used it many times in houses even on concrete.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A rockin’ convenience might be of assistance to some RVers IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad