cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too Much?

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased a new, to me, a 24ft TT GVW is 6000 lbs. A friend has gifted me an Equalizer hitch with a rating of 14,000 lbs. that he no longer needs. Will this hitch work with my TT ? Am I over thinking this? Is this hitch overkill?
I have never pulled a TT always having had a 5th. wheel, so I am in new territory here and want to do it right
27 REPLIES 27

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Is it truly an Equal-i-zer hitch or are you meaning a weight distribution hitch?

If it is an Equal-i-zer hitch you will have to set it loose which means you won't get much anti-sway assistance.

If it takes 200~lbs per bar to bring the front back to unloaded height, that's what it takes regardless which bars are used. Pressure and friction will be the same. The heavier bars simply won't flex as much.

If you back off the bars too much, then there will be times under tow, when they do not transfer the weight, and in the case of the EQUALIZER provide sway control.
The bars (even the EQUALIZERS) are working springs. They are designed to flex as needed when under tow... Too heavy a bar is not good.

If it were, we would all be running the biggest bars possible!
Too light a bar isn't good either. The right size is the right size. A little off, may be just a slight difference.... But the OP is wayyyy over what he needs.

You don't back off the bars. It still takes the same amount of pressure on the L brackets to produce the necessary torque at the receiver to bring the front of the truck back down to unloaded height. The difference will be stiffness of the ride.
I will try again.

If you do NOT back off of the bars.... How will you keep from transfering too much weight?

You simply cannot run 14K bars on the same holes/washers as 8/10K bars.

If you do, you will be transfering too much weight.

So you back off of the bars.... What happens then is you CAN adjust it in a static position to transfer the correct amount of weight...
But in a dynamic condition the pressure on the bars will change from much less than correct, to much more as the angle between the TT and TV changes under tow. This is how you get the bumpy ride.
It is also why it will be less effective as a sway control.

Once again.... They make different sizes for a reason.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Is it truly an Equal-i-zer hitch or are you meaning a weight distribution hitch?

If it is an Equal-i-zer hitch you will have to set it loose which means you won't get much anti-sway assistance.

If it takes 200~lbs per bar to bring the front back to unloaded height, that's what it takes regardless which bars are used. Pressure and friction will be the same. The heavier bars simply won't flex as much.

If you back off the bars too much, then there will be times under tow, when they do not transfer the weight, and in the case of the EQUALIZER provide sway control.
The bars (even the EQUALIZERS) are working springs. They are designed to flex as needed when under tow... Too heavy a bar is not good.

Too light a bar isn't good either. The right size is the right size. A little off, may be just a slight difference.... But the OP is wayyyy over what he needs.

You don't back off the bars. It still takes the same amount of pressure on the L brackets to produce the necessary torque at the receiver to bring the front of the truck back down to unloaded height. The difference will be stiffness of the ride.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
elivi8 wrote:
Many people say that the higher rated bars will damage the trailer yet not once, at all, has anyone ever reported back saying there is damage.
Yep. If that were a real thing, it would be easy to find pictures and reports of bent frames. But, all the naysayers ever offer are "you'll shoot your eye out" warnings.

Ok, but why do something wrong when you can very easily do it right!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
elivi8 wrote:
Many people say that the higher rated bars will damage the trailer yet not once, at all, has anyone ever reported back saying there is damage.
Yep. If that were a real thing, it would be easy to find pictures and reports of bent frames. But, all the naysayers ever offer are "you'll shoot your eye out" warnings.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Exactly they wonโ€™t flex as much, but something else will. And by the time you find out what else flexed the damage will have been done. Which is why you match the hitch to the trailer!

Can't disagree with that. You can have too much hitch as well as too much truck. Seems where the tongue's A frame joins the trailer's chassis is where the stress takes it's toll.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Exactly they wonโ€™t flex as much, but something else will. And by the time you find out what else flexed the damage will have been done. Which is why you match the hitch to the trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Installed the hitch last evening and want for a test drive. Trailer towed beautifully and truck rode nice.
Much better than the el-cheepo hitch the dealer gave me.

Sounds like you're good to go. Be sure to torque the socket bolts to 65ft/lbs and rub some grease on the socket surfaces on the head per the manufacturer's instructions. I break all the rules, laws, morals, ethics, manufacturer's recommendation, and reject the supreme court's ruling and rub a smudge of grease on the L bracket as well to keep it quiet. Not a recommendation. We towed our current TT for a year with no sway control and no sway issues so other than passing trucks, I can't tell the difference.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
delete
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

X2 The Equalizer as pictured is an integreated sway control hitch. This has advantages,(no sway control to hook up) and in your case a disadvantage.(sway control is dependent on the pressure the bars have on them.) The less pressure, the less sway control.

This is why sizing is so important. If you wear a size 10 shoe, a size 13 will not be better, even if it is a better built shoe.

Same applies to hitches. So your test went well...Will it go so well when you really need the sway control to be at it's best?

Sometimes something for "free" isn't worth the cost.

Sell it, and put the money towards a properly sized hitch.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
1400lb bars on a trailer with an approximate loaded TW of 750lbs?!!!! Way too much! You will not like the ride with them cranked up. Purchase the proper hitch just as you would with a truck. You will want a WD hitch that is rated at 8000/800lbs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Installed the hitch last evening and want for a test drive. Trailer towed beautifully and truck rode nice.
Much better than the el-cheepo hitch the dealer gave me.