cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift tie downs with Ram 3500 air assist

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to order a '17 Ram 3500 Dually with air assist and trying to figure out if anybody has Torklift tie downs with this setup? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything.

It appears there is a problem with the front tie downs working because of the air compressor placement. After calling Torklift, they just said they could probably make something work at their shop but wanted to hear what some real world owners thought/experienced.

Have read quite a bit about the air assist with truck campers but still would think that the non air suspension with Stable Loads and maybe a larger rear stabilizer would be just fine as well.

That's a different discussion though!

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses.

ChadHubbard
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
I have a 2014 3500 SRW, 4x4, crew cab, diesel Ram. It has the full length factory running boards. I install the Torqlift tie downs. The running boards interfered with the front inserts. I cut them about 4 inches inside the running board and welded in a '2" drop". Used a piece of 1/2" by 2" wide flat steel. Works great. No modification to the frame mount or running boards.

Just another option.
Chad Hubbard
2014 Ram 3500 SRW 2x2 Cummins Aisin
2003 Fleetwood Pride 31-5G

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
05btdvw wrote:
Great pic. So it doesn't appear the standard running boards (that stop at the cab) would work with the alternate location then? Maybe I'm wrong. Tough to tell from the angle.

Thanks...I do not think this setup would work with running boards...I believe they have an alternate configuration for trucks with running boards.
I believe they only update their list once they personally fit a truck with tie-downs. I know a guy who has a 2017 mega cab with running boards and factory air bags that is/was scheduled to visit Torklift to have a set of tie-downs fitted....so I think an update to their list is eventually coming. It seems you might be semi-local to them, once you have the truck you may want to consider asking if they need a truck for a test install.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
05btdvw wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

towpro, have you been happy with your air assist? How heavy is your camper? Would love to see a comparison on sway between the non air 3500 suspension and the air assist, with all other things being the same.

I don't have the air syspension, but all I added is the big wig sway bar. my truck sits level with Arctic fox on board, its maybe 50 lbs under 14,000 lbs loaded.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Great pic. So it doesn't appear the standard running boards (that stop at the cab) would work with the alternate location then? Maybe I'm wrong. Tough to tell from the angle.

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
05btdvw wrote:
TJMarc wrote:
I have air assist and no side steps/running boards...D2126 installed per instructions without issue.

Ok thanks. Seems like on their website they have a disclaimer saying that one won't work with the air assist. Or at least a couple of weeks ago it was there. We'll get it figured out.

Yes, this part number is the alternate to the standard fitment. The standard location occurs adjacent to the compressor location, on the crew cab the alternate is attached at the body mount right behind the rear door. Best pic I have showing relative location.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2013 AF 811
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
TJMarc wrote:
I have air assist and no side steps/running boards...D2126 installed per instructions without issue.

Ok thanks. Seems like on their website they have a disclaimer saying that one won't work with the air assist. Or at least a couple of weeks ago it was there. We'll get it figured out.

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
2013 AF 811
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
youngm357 wrote:
On my '16 Ram 2500 the front tie downs are in the path of the running boards probably the same on 3500. Because of this the tie downs have to angle below the running boards. I have talked to Tork Lift about this but the way the truck is built there is no other way to mount them. The fronts actually mount below the rear of the cab not the front of the bed. Could be different with Mega Cab. I'm working on doing a complete review of my installation of Tork Lift Talons front and rear.

Thanks, I'll look forward to it.

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
On my '16 Ram 2500 the front tie downs are in the path of the running boards probably the same on 3500. Because of this the tie downs have to angle below the running boards. I have talked to Tork Lift about this but the way the truck is built there is no other way to mount them. The fronts actually mount below the rear of the cab not the front of the bed. Could be different with Mega Cab. I'm working on doing a complete review of my installation of Tork Lift Talons front and rear.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Megacab dually with factory air suspension, I ordered the 2016 front Torklift Talons because they weren't available for the 2017 yet and they fit with no mods. I did have to move the air compressor when they installed the Amp power steps but it came with a kit for that. I transferred the SuperTruss from my 2014 Ram to my 2017 Ram and the rear TorkLift tie downs are integrated into the SuperTruss.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

towpro, have you been happy with your air assist? How heavy is your camper? Would love to see a comparison on sway between the non air 3500 suspension and the air assist, with all other things being the same.

zb39, we are looking to order a Host Mammoth as well. Been wanting to do this for about 4 years now! Will be watching your upcoming posts on yours.

Do you remember what your part # was for the front tie downs?

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I put these on my 2016 last march, no issues. You just slide it down the frame a couple inches to clear the compressor. By the way, I love the air assist when towing the fiver or hauling the TC. Or running empty. Going to pick up my new Host next week.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
my 2015 Ram, something changed on the frame on RF and what I bought would not work.
that "we can probably make it work" turned into a brand new different RF mount next day into my garage. and it worked Perfect (but they forgot to ship the bolts). I was in a hurry to leave, so I ran to hardware store and bought my own bolts.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.