cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift tiedown system on 97 Chevy be made to work on 2004?

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy an inexpensive used TC. I have found a 97 Lance 945 Legend. The guy has the Torklift system on his 97 3500 long bed. I will be putting the TC in my 2004 3500 long bed. Torklift calls for different part numbers for these trucks. Is anyone familiar enough with both to tell me if the system for the 97 can be adapted to fit the 2004 without completely redesigning the system. I have a good friend that is a good welder so minor mods wouldn't be a problem. I know, I know, I should by the one made for my truck but I cannot afford the $800 it would cost. Thanks for any info on the differences between these two.
2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)
8 REPLIES 8

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
They are also quite helpful on the telephone at Torklift. Perhaps they could tell you the potential multiple applications for the set on the 1997 truck. For my 1996 Silverado I needed to speak with them first to ensure I got the correct pieces as the first set they sent was incorrect. Good luck!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like this is something I can handle. I have a decent amount of tools but my friend has pretty much everything. I think I may give it a try. Still trying to negotiate a deal on the camper with the tie downs.

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
The tie downs on my 2014 were modified from the set that were originally on my 2004. I have an extensive set of metal working tools that most people may not have.

Do you have any access to tools?

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
If he is a good fabricator/welder he should be able to make it work.
Have built my own for years.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I have looked at the instructions and I can see there are differences but don't know how major or minor. I have a lot more time than I do money right now.

NautiqueFamily
Explorer
Explorer
2 thoughts -

Have the welder look under the new truck with the old parts in his hands. If he is going to fabricate something, he will need the new and the old together (in one place) to make the differences work.

A head start might be looking at PDF install directions that Torklift provides. Etrailer.com is a good reference for instructions and install photos. That would give the welder ideas on how to "make it work".

After just installing a set of Torklift Tiedowns, I was baffled by the gyrations and the photos of the drill-less install in a 2015 GMC 3500. It took me 2 hours to understand, get up the guts and finally accomplish the driver side front tie down install..... and once I did it, 20 minutes to do the passenger side. There is some creative engineering that you pay for in Torklifts.... that's worth something.... if not money, gonna cost you some time.

Let us know how it goes.............

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about yours specifically, but I do know many TL tiedowns span multiple applications and and years for a given model truck. For example, mine are advertised as fitting an 08-11 Superduty.
Granted, not much has changed with Superduty frames. Knowing specifically what is different from your 97 thru 04 will help.

I hear you on saving money. $1000 is quite the horse pill to swallow. Scored mine used, online for $177 front and rear. Although, the rears were universal drill-to-fit in the hitch. Not really application specific there.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's