cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow truck THIKS its overheating

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
our 2011 f 150 under load red lines and overheating warning light comes on BUT it is not over heating???? Ideas ???
30 REPLIES 30

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using premium fuel? If you have the Eco-Boost engine there numerous complaints about over-heating in the earlier models. Do a Google search and you will see the problems and hopefully a solution.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pitch wrote:
What have you done to diagnose the problem?
You threw out a generic open ended question,with no context.
Electrons are cheap, there is no character count so please restate your question with specific symptoms and attempted remedies. Right now you have posters throwing **** on the wall to see what sticks.

Yeah but pretty typical of this forum.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
What is it that's red lining? The tachometer or the temp gauge? Which engine?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We the people donโ€™t actually believe a modern pickup truck would โ€œstruggleโ€ with cooling while tow hauling within oem recommendations and ratings if everything is in good mechanical order do we?

Temperature measurements need to taken at the rad tank, thermostat housing and plug your code reader into the OBD system and see if the readings agree.

Then you know what to chase.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, there may be some weird condition present, but If everything is right under normal driving and hot under load, itโ€™s likely mechanical or physical and it is overheating.
But the lack of info presented and the fact that the OP refers to his truck like a person, says go to a repair shop to me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread will go nowhereโ€ฆ. It will overheat! Lol

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you plugged a code reader into it that can read what the computer thinks the temperature is? It could be a bad gage or it could be the temperature sender. Use the code reader to check temp with the engine cold and still off and see if that makes sense.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
What have you done to diagnose the problem?
You threw out a generic open ended question,with no context.
Electrons are cheap, there is no character count so please restate your question with specific symptoms and attempted remedies. Right now you have posters throwing **** on the wall to see what sticks.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The dash board says it's overheating...why do you believe it's not overheating?

It wouldn't be unusual for a marginal coolant system to be fine under light load but pull an 8000lb trailer up a steep grade in 110F, it struggles to keep the engine cool.

Running light on flat ground, it may only take 60-70hp to run at freeway speeds and even if the fan clutch doesn't kick in, there is a 60-70mph breeze blowing the heat away.

Change that to pulling an 8000lb trailer up a steep grade doing 20mph, you might be pulling 3 times the power and the breeze is pulling away far less heat at 20mph.

Too many questions to do anything other than speculate. To help:
- Provide the truck specs. (engine, tow rating, payload, year, etc...)
- Provide the trailer specs (model, GVWR, any unusual modifications)
- Provide the conditions where you experience the issue (Speed, grades, temps, etc...)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your F150 an EcoBoost or the 5.0?

It is probably going into 'limp mode' when it does that. This reduces power, but keeps you moving and it won't necessarily steam or spit out coolant from the system, even running that hot.

To get the gauge to move, you usually have to have gotten it over 250* coolant temps.

If it's the Eco, you are likely using a lot of boost to maintain speed and while the power is there, the cooling isn't when it's over 10psi of boost.

Could also be the water pump. I think the OEM has plastic impeller in it and it could have broken some of the fins..

Only guessing here. I have to watch the boost level and temps when working my 13 Eco. I monitor with a ODB2 plug in and phone app. Gives me actual temps and the boost psi among a ton of other sensor temps and things..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
flathead92 wrote:
our 2011 f 150 under load red lines and overheating warning light comes on BUT it is not over heating???? Ideas ???

Your temperature gauge red lines?
If that is the case test/replace sensor, otherwise figure out why it is overheating.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BILDER
Explorer
Explorer
bad sensor?

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Head gasket?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you know it is not over the heat limit set by the factory? Not sure it has to blow steam to confirm over temperature. Does it cool down if you slow down or let it idle?

Could it be the transmission overheating? Do you hear the fan clutch engage?

Is this the first time towing?

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
I wish it was that easy. like I said it Thinks its overheating under load works fine not hooked up to TT. Even Ford is like ????