cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 35+ footer

MBarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I think i've decided against a 5er due to only having a 2500. I think the payload is going to be too much.

That said, the wife and i have picked out three campers that we really like:
Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS
Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
GD Reflection 308BHTS

all of these campers are around 1000 lb tongue wt. and 10-11K GVWR

the problem is they are all 36-37 ft long.

How are those going to pull behind a RAM 2500 CCSWB 4x4 6.7?
46 REPLIES 46

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 35 foot Jayco with a Excursion. Trailer gross is 9950lbs. We are near max of 17000 lbs when we go down the road. We have the V-10 engine. Does slow down on hills but thats about the only problem we run into

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Going with what the OP is asking I would rather be slightly over GVWR towing a fifth wheel, than at or just under and towing a TT! A 5'er is inherently more stable, So much so it would be the safer tow even slightly over the GVWR.

Not necessarily a safer tow. A Hensley Arrow makes it as stable as a FW. How do I know? Had a Hensley Arrow and now have a FW.

While the HA and PP hitches may be great systems, they do have their limitations. A tw of 1400lbs is max for both last I knew. So the op should be very careful and try to figure out the loaded weight before going with one of them. For that reason I would suggest the Reese Dual Cam or possibly the Blue Ox. Just make sure who ever installs the DC they know what the heck they are doing!!!

So far we haven't had any major issues with our 32 BHDS (listed at 35'8" oal) with our '13 2500HD CCSB. Just have to be selective of what gas stations and other stops that are made.

Good luck deciding!!!

You meant 14,000lbs, which is a lot for a trailer. The TT we towed with the Arrow was 10k loaded.

No, As 93 posted, 1400# TONGUE WEIGHT (tw) limit.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, the HA and the PP both have 1400# tongue weight limit.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Going with what the OP is asking I would rather be slightly over GVWR towing a fifth wheel, than at or just under and towing a TT! A 5'er is inherently more stable, So much so it would be the safer tow even slightly over the GVWR.

Not necessarily a safer tow. A Hensley Arrow makes it as stable as a FW. How do I know? Had a Hensley Arrow and now have a FW.

While the HA and PP hitches may be great systems, they do have their limitations. A tw of 1400lbs is max for both last I knew. So the op should be very careful and try to figure out the loaded weight before going with one of them. For that reason I would suggest the Reese Dual Cam or possibly the Blue Ox. Just make sure who ever installs the DC they know what the heck they are doing!!!

So far we haven't had any major issues with our 32 BHDS (listed at 35'8" oal) with our '13 2500HD CCSB. Just have to be selective of what gas stations and other stops that are made.

Good luck deciding!!!

You meant 14,000lbs, which is a lot for a trailer. The TT we towed with the Arrow was 10k loaded.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Good luck deciding!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Late to respond but we recently purchased a Jayco 38 foot TT and have already been to Myrtle Beach and Old Orchard Beach ME. My Chevy 2011 2500 pulls it just fine. The steep hill on the Mass Pike coming back was a little slow. but otherwise smooth travels.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
My concern, which may not be an issue for you, is that many campgrounds have sites that will accommodate a rig that size, but the road has too many tight corners with trees that make it impossible. Several of our favorite CGs might work for up to 30', but over that it wouldn't work. Maybe check out some of the places you enjoy...would hate to lose those. Happy Camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
It won't get you beaten near as bad as payload on a 150. 🙂

The difference being that a half ton GVWR isn't due to any sort of class restriction, but rather relates to capability.

CampingNC is spot on about forum reality versus actual reality.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
It won't get you beaten near as bad as payload on a 150. 🙂
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2500 payload is in fact a topic well beaten around here. I've been on here a long time and one thing I've learned is that there is a forum reality and a real world reality. I personally think a 2000lb payload on my truck is down right comical. By the numbers, with my camper, bikes, firewood etc, I'm sure I'm over the payload number.

We've have our eye on a certain 5th wheel model and can't imagine the whipping I'd get on here if I posted about it. I wouldn't think twice about 3K lbs. in my 2500.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We're out with our new 32.5' Jayco 28RLS travel trailer now. At about 750 miles into our trip, I'm very happy with the way it tows with our 2010 5.4L auto 3.73 F250. It wags a little bit with cross winds but I barely feel trucks passing. I'm using a Reese HP with 800 lb bars. No sway control.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!